OK balancing props is got to be the most ******** thing ever

Reaction score
I bought two balances. A magnet kind and a bar kind. Both failed. As first I thought everything is going well. Got it to balance horizontally, but then I took out the plastic holder and flipped the prop from left to right, then it's not balanced anymore! I suspect the system itself is not even balanced. Depending on how I mount the prop, it will give a different result!!

Sometimes, I get it to balance horizontally on one side, then rotate the prop to the other end and it's unbalanced! How can that be? How can it be balanced on one end but not the other?

How do I do this??

Re: OK balancing props is got to be the most ******** thing

When you flip the prop around, you flip it to the female side which will always be unbalanced. Just turn it back around and it'll be fine.

DronePhone said:
When you flip the prop around, you flip it to the female side which will always be unbalanced. Just turn it back around and it'll be fine.

What do you mean? Shouldn't it be balanced on both sides? What is the logic that it is balanced on one side but not the other? It's symmetrical! Which side should I be using then?

yalag said:
DronePhone said:

What do you mean? Shouldn't it be balanced on both sides? What is the logic that it is balanced on one side but not the other? It's symmetrical! Which side should I be using then?

I guess you've never been married.

Which props are you balancing? If you are trying to balance the stock props (with the key on the shaft), you won't have good luck with typical balancing fixtures since they expect a round hole. I've gotten reasonable results by flipping one of the nuts around so the flat side engages the prop on the side with the key and only use the taper on the top side of the prop (hole is round on that side). Disregard this if you are using other after-market props.

TickTock said:
Which props are you balancing? If you are trying to balance the stock props (with the key on the shaft), you won't have good luck with typical balancing fixtures since they expect a round hole. I've gotten reasonable results by flipping one of the nuts around so the flat side engages the prop on the side with the key and only use the taper on the top side of the prop (hole is round on that side). Disregard this if you are using other after-market props.

I'm using aftermarket carbon fibre props from dslrpros.com. I have also done what you did, flip one of the nuts to hold it in place. But I don't think that is the source of the problem? It's again, those nuts are symmetrical?

No one else having balancing tips?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl