Ok back again, image issues

Reaction score
So After the firmware update, the video is back to being amazing on my advanced with a Pro camera. BUT, still images are horrible still. I notice when switching from photo to video within the dpi go app the video signal is also degraded. I find this very strange as it usually is very clear (it was with the advanced camera) I have attached a few images converted form DNG to JPEG no changes other than that and the screen capture of the iPad. you can distinctly tell the image changes when switching modes.

Also note this issue is indifferent to shutter/iso setting.s Its the same across the board.

Side view is iOS 100 @ 4 secs ADV camera
Front view is iso 100 @ 3 seconds PRO camera

obviously lighting differences, but the point is, that the advanced was open a full 1 second longer and its still way sharper. I dint have any good comparisons for the daylight. But just looking at the iPad screen shots, something is wrong here.

** I also switched to 16:9 to see if it changes, no difference btw

Side view is iOS 100 @ 4 secs ADV camera
DJI_0115.jpg

Front view is iso 100 @ 3 seconds PRO camera
DJI_0085.jpg

Photo Mode (notice the blurry image almost pixelated)
IMG_0013.PNG

Same capture, but in video mode. its night and day.
IMG_0014.PNG

slide by side a full scale crop of a house form the screen. again this is a screen capture not an actual image. but the Visual on the screen should not distort to this magnitude and look so vastly different.

Picture mode / Video Mode
IMG_0013 copy.png
IMG_0014 copy.png

I notice when switching from photo to video within the dpi go app the video signal is also degraded.

Many people have noted here that their FPV image is sharper when they are in video mode. It's the same for me on my P3A when I toggle back and forth. Back in May of 2015 when I was first using the P3 I would take a photo and then switch it back to video mode just to get the sharp FPV back. After a while I didn't bother with it anymore so I stopped toggling back and forth.

Here are a couple of threads that I recalled, but there are many others.

Viewing quality on app. video vs photo.

Is this camera out of focus in Photo mode and OK in video?

Last edited:
With respect to the night shots consider how good an image you might expect from a decent smart phone at 100 ISO of this scene and allow for the fact you have a 3sec exposure. The gimble system stabilisation is good but not good enough to give acceptable sharpness consistently at TV if 3 sec or longer.

With respect to the night shots consider how good an image you might expect from a decent smart phone at 100 ISO of this scene and allow for the fact you have a 3sec exposure. The gimble system stabilisation is good but not good enough to give acceptable sharpness consistently at TV if 3 sec or longer.

And that is where the issue comes from. I have 8 second very sharp images from the advanced camera. I only had night shots to use for comparison, but I have lots of day shots to show from the pro. Attached a long exposure shot from the advanced, it's very clear for 8 seconds.

6274988bda6421e4e05e1643cd001b03.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Many people have noted here that their FPV image is sharper when they are in video mode. It's the same for me on my P3A when I toggle back and forth. Back in May of 2015 when I was first using the P3 I would take a photo and then switch it back to video mode just to get the sharp FPV back. After a while I didn't bother with it anymore so I stopped toggling back and forth.

Here are a couple of threads that I recalled, but there are many others.

Viewing quality on app. video vs photo.

Is this camera out of focus in Photo mode and OK in video?

Yeah see that's the thing I'm not as worried about the feed it's the same as others on the second thread said, that the images are bad too. My non-roll compensating advanced camera is still here. I'm going to go shoot a bunch of shots with the pro and then flash it to advanced and then shoot the same shots again. I swear there is something up with this camera but I'll have to take the time to compare it out.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Screen Capture 2016-12-03 at 10.25.50 AM.PNG
Ok that was fun. *not* So I shot as best I could two identical images within 15 minutes or so of each other. one with pro one with advanced camera. this is a screen grab of a side by side. they were both raw, both d-log color, same iso and same shutter speed. The pro is on the left the advanced on the right.

As you can see, look at a few things:
-the patio chairs around the pool (advanced are crisp and great shadows)
-the air conditioner packs (advanced has nice contrast and you can see the vents in the tops clearly)
-the water in the pool (You can see definition of the ripples)
-the building siding itself (the railings are cleared on the advanced)
-the closest peak o the roof (this is HUGE, the shingles on the pro are blurred out and the advanced you can about count each shingle)

Each one the advanced is less contrasty and looks so much better. The pro seems to have almost a halo around everything. Now remember, video is razor sharp so there is nothing on the lens and nothing wrong with the UV filter, and its been throughly cleaned before this. I just can't for the life of me figure out why this is so terrible.

Here is another side by side. Advanced on the left, pro on the right. I swear the settings are the same but its just so awful. I can't even list everything thats bad, just look for yourself.

DJI_0003.jpg

Ok I tried one more time last night to give this thing a fighting chance. Every single image has the exact same noise pattern. That can not be a coincidence. So its going back. Question is with all these threads about stills be out of focus on the pro cameras, I am wondering if 4k is even worth it for me. So I am going to get another advanced camera instead.

Screen Capture 2016-12-04 at 9.26.47 AM.PNG
Screen Capture 2016-12-04 at 9.27.06 AM.PNG
Screen Capture 2016-12-04 at 9.27.18 AM.PNG
Screen Capture 2016-12-04 at 9.27.48 AM.PNG

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl