Oil for motors ?

Jay

Reaction score
Hi all
What oil or lubricant can be used on the motors if they need it ?

I was going to say... I've always shy'd away from oiling brushless motors. Are DJI's motor bearings not sealed anyway? I can't recall, now. If so, oils going to do you no good... and may even be detrimental as it tends to attract dust. And in the dusty environment that most of us fly in, that would be a bad thing.

Sealed...not completely. They have metal cover held by compression ring. Under it has a see through plastic cover (bearing race?). Regardless my Boca lightning bearing oil went in so not really sealed.

Yes. I destroyed a stock bearing, but inquiring minds wanted to know. ;) Don't fret over it. Boca ceramic hybrid bearings took the place of originals.

I seriously doubt normal dust is going to get in where the oil went.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1410410615216.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1410410615216.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 717
  • uploadfromtaptalk1410410627392.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1410410627392.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 737
  • uploadfromtaptalk1410410641503.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1410410641503.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 765
I bought mine through Amazon along with the oil. They have three versions on the main Boca bearings website, based on quality standards. Standard, Ceramic Hybrids, and one higher level with rubber seals. Amazon only has the hybrids from what I could find.

Hybrids were $65 free shipping. I just found the high end with rubber seals $102.00!

Just search Boca bearings phantom 2 in Amazon.

I placed the order of both at same time, thus free shipping on oil. Plus a free mouse pad and a boat load of stickers. I guess they throw that in because the bearings cost so much. ;)

I'm new to this issue, so I thought I would check out if I need Oil.
When I hand spin each of my engines slowly, the engines feel like there are mild "detentes" about every 1/10 around the circle, in both directions That's every engine, and the bird flys. Is this normal, or have all my bearing gone on all engines?
This is my first and only Phantom, so I have no point of reference other than a mini quad. I have about 8 hours flying time on it, and it seems to fly well. I

When I hand spin each of my engines slowly, the engines feel like there are mild "detentes" about every 1/10 around the circle, in both directions That's every engine, and the bird flys. Is this normal, or have all my bearing gone on all engines?
If you checked the motors when new, they would have felt the same.
Completely normal - that's the magnets in the motors .
It's what makes them work.
If DJI wanted you to oil the motors they would have told you.

Reactions: Mike Mauk
Do not oil them. If you get any kind of dirt it will be like liquid sand paper with oil.
Why spend all that money for bearings when motors are cheaper.
I've never seen a bearing go unless it was crashed. Or had sand in it.

A new motor is $25 to your door typical, probably get 5 for $100 shipped if you look hard enough.

Why the bearings/oil thing?

Hey I don't mean to be snarky, but where's the value here?

If you checked the motors when new, they would have felt the same.
Completely normal - that's the magnets in the motors .
It's what makes them work.
If DJI wanted you to oil the motors they would have told you.
Thanks!

Do not oil them. If you get any kind of dirt it will be like liquid sand paper with oil.
Why spend all that money for bearings when motors are cheaper.
I've never seen a bearing go unless it was crashed. Or had sand in it.
Thanks!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4