Ohio State Park Rules...

drm

Reaction score
Just found this in the updated Ohio State Park rules:

1501:41-13-11 Aviation.

(A) It shall be permissible to utilize any airplane, balloon, glider, parachute, or any other flying machine or aerial apparatus, to take off, ascend, land, alight, or otherwise come to rest upon lands administered by the division where designated airfields or maintained landing zones are located.
Effective: 10/14/2016
Five Year Review (FYR) Dates: 10/14/2021

Emphasis is mine...This is the first rule I have seen that expressly permits flying....as to whether there are designated airfields or landing zones remains to be seen....

See the entire rule here: Lawriter - OAC

Reactions: Suhail78
Yeah, need to talk to the office here t Buck Creek Park to make some arrangements. The local RCrs already fly down below the spillway so shouldn't be too much hassle.

i think the "gotcha" part is this line....

where designated airfields or maintained landing zones are located.

so what defines a "designated" airfield or landing zone?

Yeah, that's going to be the fly in the ointment. Very few, if any, of our state parks actually have airfields or landing zones. Wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't refer to things like the flying site that the local RCers use. they actually mow the grass to define runways and taxiways.

Reactions: Suhail78
Yeah, that's going to be the fly in the ointment. Very few, if any, of our state parks actually have airfields or landing zones. Wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't refer to things like the flying site that the local RCers use. they actually mow the grass to define runways and taxiways.

yup...and i live in Columbus, and know of an AMA field, but if your not a member they dont allow you to fly there, so there goes that idea.

That's the one over by Delaware State Park, I bet. I flew there (at the park, not the field) last year, but maybe I won't be able to this year. I'll have to inquire with the authorities.

Reactions: BillOh
I go fly over and around hoover reservoir, there are no restrictions that i'm aware of, i've gone over a dozen times probably, never had any problems.

Reactions: BillOh
there are several good spots, but this is where i started out at.......

Walnut Street Park

upload_2017-2-10_8-29-29.png

That's the one over by Delaware State Park, I bet. I flew there (at the park, not the field) last year, but maybe I won't be able to this year. I'll have to inquire with the authorities.
Let's take the wording at face value. Doesn't say that you have to take off or land at the designated facility, only that there has to be one on the 'park ' property. Not a lot of great scenery around Buck Creek park, but I want to make sure that I can fly there. Got a free day later this week, trip to the park office may be in oder.

I reached out to Ohio state parks on Facebook and was told they would ask a parks expert. While I did not get back a reply from the expert, my original contact sent back the following.

Nathan, I have not heard back yet, but from what I know, there are some parks that designate parking lots as "take off" areas, but it is best to call the park itself to find out where they prefer you to operate. As long as you follow FAA rules on drones, that has worked in our state parks.

Wouldn't that be a breath of fresh air in a world where everyone else is ignoring FAA juristiction and trying to squash all sUAS flying?

Yeah, need to talk to the office here t Buck Creek Park to make some arrangements. The local RCrs already fly down below the spillway so shouldn't be too much hassle.

I talked to a Ranger at Buck Creek last Fall. He said the Army Corps of Engineers owns the entire park lands and lets the state use it. Flying near the dam, is a no-no, I understand that. But the entire park? I didn't fly because it is hard to determine state vs. private lands there.

Today I talked to a Ranger at Indian Lake State Park. Both were very nice and professional btw. I asked him, and he said an inter-agency memo (he showed me on his laptop) bans them since this past Fall. I have spent the last hour looking for it on line with no luck. I asked him what if I stood across the street for take off and landing and overflew the lake. He said no issues, so that is what I did. Makes no sense to me, it is so much safer to fly as close as possible to my photo mission.

How are we supposed to know the rules, if they don't publish them . . . ?

Last edited:
Hello all, this thrad via a google search led me to this forum and of course this thread. That is why I am resurrecting the old thread! Technically I am not even going to be a phantom pilot. I bought a DJI Spark over the holidays at a great price and I let me wife talk me into saving it for my 60th birthday which occurs Father's Day weekend. (I call that Super weekend) I was thinking of finding a quiet place up at Delaware St Park and learning to fly away from people, possibly getting campsite video/pictures.

for now, lots of reading and learning with youtube videos.

Reactions: Scott Davis
Are there any good places to fly around Cincinnati Ohio without getting into trouble? I know Downtown and Hamilton County parks are no fly.

Also depending on location, Cincinnati Northern Kentucky Airport CVG as well as many other smaller airports may come into play.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik