Oh but there will be drones....

How would you like to write the waiver request for that one? Must violate every aspect of sUAS rules!

Probably the person who approved the waiver is a Lady Gaga or Super Bowl fan!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I suggested to a friend that the event was inside a building and the FAA has no jurisdiction, but that apparently is not the case.

You think a couple of pilots seeing single quad flying near an airport makes a headline, imagine having millions of people seeing a swarm of quads gone rogue on TV during the Super Bowl.

Such mixed messages. Likely the drones are linked to one control system which is also not permitted under 107. So for everyone (the commoners) within 32 miles to the ground you can't fly one drone, yet we'll put 100 drones in the middle of a huge crowd on national tv and find a way to say - that's safe. A link loss likely spells trouble for the audience and no doubt any issues will only be bad news for those who operate safely.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Before you see the show, how can you comment on the safety systems used?

Maybe they're inside a net?

No doubt they will use Intel's Shooting Star drone fleet. Their computer can run 500 drones last I heard. They need two people to run it although it only takes one person; the other person is backup to the chief pilot by order of the FAA. Each drone has a prop shield completely around it too in case it should hit someone so it suited their FAA waiver for over people. Each drone has a collision avoidance system to keep it from entering another drone's air space bubble. Pretty neat setup and likely the same Disney used in their theme parks drone light show last Xmas too.

Found some info here: Intel Lights Up the Night with 500 'Shooting Star' Drones

Reactions: LoneDrone
I'm sure it will be great and likely all sorts of safety considerations, but the reality is that is a very signal contested environment so there is risk - I would suggest a higher risk than a drone flying 32 miles away which would be unlawful under the current TFR.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Ok, the quads were pretty neat. Flag representation was beautiful!

Pre taped?

Could have just as easily been done with animation, CGI???

If you had not heard about drones being used would you even have considered what was used???

Two thumbs up for drone performance.

Could have been CGI, I like thinking it was a live drone performance. I'm often in a fantasy realm. Now the Pepsi logo could have been filmed rehearsal night.

Not saying it was CGI. Know it wasn't supposed to be just would have looked same.

Quoting from the Intel webpage:

"Collaborating with Pepsi and the NFL, our innovative Intel® Shooting Star™ drones light show took flight during the Pepsi Zero Sugar* Super Bowl LI Halftime show. Over 100 million viewers were treated to 300 drones moving through the sky, perfectly choreographed with the amazing performance below."

Pre taped?

Could have just as easily been done with animation, CGI???

If you had not heard about drones being used would you even have considered what was used???
Yes it was apparently pre-taped on the 30th of January, they needed guaranteed good weather conditions and no people around to ensure safety and could do re-takes in case of a mess up. I think it's good they did that, could you imagine the drones screwing up then colliding and crashing on the grounds live!, that would put a dent on UAV's. Pepsi did some good PR for us.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4