Sport very little wind. I did forget to mention that I also have a modified battery setup that I built. As you can see from the map I actually went much further, with a loop around Coit Tower and landed with plenty of reserve. I've done this same trip several times with my P3P as well.

I wasn't trying to go for a distance recorded. If I was I'd have continued to go further over Tiburon.
Please tell us more about the modified P4 battery setup that you built! :D

Chuck what range extender are you using and will it work on a p3p
Any transmitter mod range extender for the P4 will work with the P3P, and vice versa, as both controllers use the same controller frequencies, and either can be paired with the other, at any time, in 30 seconds or less!

Last edited:
4678b9df95b67c65f7930890e1217910.jpg

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Please tell us more about the modified P4 battery setup that you built! :D
I didn't take any pictures when it was open but if you search around you'll find pic's of the P4 on the web. I just used those pic's to determine how the power was distributed to the Electronic Speed Controllers and soldered in a new power lead on each side. Those two leads are directly connected to Hyperion G6 S4's. I'm using the 2800 and 2400. Not sure which is better, haven't timed them but they both work very well. Basically exactly the same as on my P3. Didn't think I'd have to resort to this on the P4 but so far many things about this generation have disappointed me. Basically a BS build. Kind of like the S versions of the iPhones. Eh... who cares. Actually I like the way the P3 flies better although I do like the speed of the P4. Here are some pictures of the outside. Before you ask, no I don't have battery tray's on this one yet. I haven't seen any for sale that I like. I might make some out of spare plastic. For now Zip Ties work just fine.

IMG_1585.JPGIMG_1586.JPGIMG_1587.JPGIMG_1588.JPG

I didn't take any pictures when it was open but if you search around you'll find pic's of the P4 on the web. I just used those pic's to determine how the power was distributed to the Electronic Speed Controllers and soldered in a new power lead on each side. Those two leads are directly connected to Hyperion G6 S4's. I'm using the 2800 and 2400. Not sure which is better, haven't timed them but they both work very well. Basically exactly the same as on my P3. Didn't think I'd have to resort to this on the P4 but so far many things about this generation have disappointed me. Basically a BS build. Kind of like the S versions of the iPhones. Eh... who cares. Actually I like the way the P3 flies better although I do like the speed of the P4. Here are some pictures of the outside. Before you ask, no I don't have battery tray's on this one yet. I haven't seen any for sale that I like. I might make some out of spare plastic. For now Zip Ties work just fine.

View attachment 50221View attachment 50222View attachment 50223View attachment 50224

Here's the video to go along with the flight record.....

My point is that Manual gives you 32 channels to choose from and auto only uses 8 channels. The best channels are 21 and up and manual is the only way to use those. So if someone lives in a busy area those higher channels may work better .

Great advice, will have to test it out! Thank you!

View attachment 50221View attachment 50222View attachment 50223View attachment 50224
Wow. Looks badass. What kind of extra flight time are we looking at?

I am still trying to get my P4 battery modded. However, I am told it's a b*tch to do, unlike the P 3 battery, as the wires need to come from the bottom of the P4 battery, where the charge port has been relocated, rather than the top, like the P3 battery.
I'm guessing this is what you're looking for. They're doing a full mod for £125.
Phantom 4 Power Mod V3.1
P4_power_mod_v3.1.fw__06814.1458741047.1280.1280.png

20,000ft plus from inside my car. Have this exact setup on my house with same results

Attachments

• 20160407_162709.jpg
    20160407_162709.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 402
  • 20160409_091413.jpg
    20160409_091413.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 422
  • 20160409_092240.jpg
    20160409_092240.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 424
Reactions: phantom13flyer
I'm guessing this is what you're looking for. They're doing a full mod for £125.
Phantom 4 Power Mod V3.1
P4_power_mod_v3.1.fw__06814.1458741047.1280.1280.png
There was a major problem with that battery mod, and that link has since been deleted, and no P4 mods are currently available from them. After 4 flights, the battery pack was split back open, and the insulation on the wires was almost completely worn through, which would ultimately lead to a short. :eek: Only successful P4 battery mod so far is to the aircraft itself, voiding the warranty, and it is a DIY mod, as no one wants to assume the risk doing it for others yet.

Last edited:

Awesome! Really appreciate the help! This bird screams for a battery mod to deliver the promised flight times!

How difficult was it to split the case open? Did you think it would be possible to ultimately perform the surgery without splitting the case, through the holes you create, in just the right spots, even if larger than necessary for just the wires, like laparoscopic surgery? How are you using the zip ties to attach the externals without a battery tray? Any pictures with the external batteries attached with zip ties? :cool:

Last edited:
Awesome! Really appreciate the help! This bird screams for a battery mod to deliver the promised flight times!

How difficult was it to split the case open? Did you think it would be possible to ultimately perform the surgery without splitting the case, through the holes you create, in just the right spots, even if larger than necessary for just the wires, like laparoscopic surgery? How are you using the zip ties to attach the externals without a battery tray? Any pictures with the external batteries attached with zip ties? :cool:
I thought it was easier than the P3. Nope. You need to take it apart. You'd need very big holes. Taking it apart was easy. No pics with batts. Will take pic when I have a chance.

Cool video! Have you found any way, in post, to edit out the props that show up when flying in sport mode, other than by tipping the gimbal so low while flying that you can't see the horizon anymore? That was my main issue.
Nope. They show up. No matter what. The key is a slow enough shutter speed so that they are just a little bit of a blur without definition. But that can be tough to do especially in light situations.

I thought it was easier than the P3. Nope. You need to take it apart. You'd need very big holes. Taking it apart was easy. No pics with batts. Will take pic when I have a chance.
Cool! Thanks! If I can get it apart that easily, should be a piece of cake!:cool:

2548fe8cddb7063772a83dec7d873dd9.jpg

P4 DBS non-boosted....

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Nope. They show up. No matter what. The key is a slow enough shutter speed so that they are just a little bit of a blur without definition. But that can be tough to do especially in light situations.
You seem too be pretty adept with editing. Can it be done in post with some zooming, cropping or blurring of that portion of the frame? Have you tried any of the ND filters to eliminate it with a slow shutter speed? Rarely had this issue with the P3P, but you have to love the speed of the P4! Flight time may be less, but you cover the terrain faster, especially during the boring travels over water between sights!

Here is my best so far. Shooting for 25,000ft in better conditions.

Attachments

• 20160409_092240.jpg
    20160409_092240.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 398
  • 20160409_091413.jpg
    20160409_091413.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 375
Reactions: GadgetGuy

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads