Off for my maiden flight...hopefully come back in one peice

Reaction score
Leaving to go off on my maiden flight with the P4. Having never flown a quad before I have to tell you I'm little nervous (I have flown heli's in the past). I think I've done as much research, manual reading (actualy printed it up and highlighted sections to have it on hand), tutorials, flight simulator I can do. I have 3 packs charged up and ready to go. Definitely going to take it slow, wish me luck, be back in a bit with the outcome

Reactions: Mark C.
All the best,where are you located?,let us know how you go,and enjoy it's ment to be fun lol.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Mark C.
Leaving to go off on my maiden flight with the P4. Having never flown a quad before I have to tell you I'm little nervous (I have flown heli's in the past). I think I've done as much research, manual reading (actualy printed it up and highlighted sections to have it on hand), tutorials, flight simulator I can do. I have 3 packs charged up and ready to go. Definitely going to take it slow, wish me luck, be back in a bit with the outcome
You have approached your P4 in the correct manor. My advice is to keep it in Beginner Mode until your comfortable. And have fun!

The learning curve on the Phantom is fast. My only advice is to not get over confident once you think you "got it". Situational awareness is the key, look around and spot potential hazards before you fly. Take the time to review all your settings each time before you fly, especially your Return To Home settings. Make sure you set the altitude high enough to avoid obstacles on the way home.

I am constantly blown away by the technology available now days with these things. Even being a novice I have been able to produce some pretty good stills and videos. I still enjoy just whipping around in sport mode every once in awhile too.

Reactions: yannicksjh
Well that was awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Everything went great and better then expected. Started off slow but quickly got the hang of it. After flying heli's this was no comparison. Started off the first pack (so glad I had bought 2 extra) with some basic flying, then moved on to landing/taking off (just to make sure I was confortable with it). Second pack I wanted to test the RTH (to see how it reacted), also to see what I was able to control on RTR. Also got to try active track and tap to Fly (pretty fun stuff). Also CAREFULLY tried OA to make sure sure I knew how it worked and warned me. I know not to depend on it but still wanted to see how it works.Third pack (I know I probably wasn't ready and over confident) but I went for a little tour of the neighborhood (I was taking off from a huge open space park with no obstructions and had studied my surrounding area since ordering the P4). That was just the highlight of it all, seeing the neighborhood from the prospective was AWESOME (can't wait to show the kids).

As for screen size, I was content with the Nvidia Sheild screen size. I can see that anything smaller would be kinda hard to see. I guess a little bigger wouldn't hurt but not sure how that would feel in my hand. Overall I'm more then happy with it since it has built in GPS and the price!

I can now see how you can quickly become over confident with flying the P4 and get yourself into some trouble situations. I guess biggest rule of thumb should be know where you are flying and take it easy!

I have my first 58min of flight time under my belt, lol

Time to charge the packs!

Nice! Glad you thoroughly enjoyed yourself, I also printed out the manual. I've seen some cool multi chargers for $15 on eBay, $15 and charges 3 batteries at once, that's gotta be worth it.... I only had one battery until today, just past 16hrs of flight with over 50miles distance (267,000ft traveled) and all from the private boat ramp about 300' ft away, or my back yard! Haven't left the hood with it, there's is a lot too see here with the gold courses and the lake though.
So, when you start to get a little bored, not that you will, you might, then you spend a whole $20 on a headset and use your phone for VR flying! Holy cow! I can say, that was a scary scary time, I'm not comfortable enough yet to try it again, but will say, the picture was a lot clearer then I thought it would be, I mean, it's crystal clear. It's so clear that I didn't notice the plastic stickers on the goggles, doing test and looking thru them with the bird on, until like 2 minutes b4 the first flight, I was like "what the hell? Omg! Protective film!! Pulled that off and was dually impressed. One app looks like a fighter pilot HUD, bought two apps, cost me $28 for them, and there are more.

I just got mine....tomorrow simulator….then back yard on stick….

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl