Odds & ends questions: P4, dji GO 4, Litchi, Glyph, iPad

Reaction score
I have a P4P. I have several questions about P4, dji GO 4 and Litchi that I haven't found clear answer in previous threads or haven't received any reply. I would appreciate any feedback:

1) There are 2 USB ports on the back of my Remote Controller(USB + micro USB). What is the micro USB used for ?
I know that Glyph VR goggle needs an HDMI in for video & having a HDMI module or a tablet with HDMI out is the solution. But couldn't dji configure the micro USB port, so it converts to hdmi out ?

2) A video clip on Avegant site (Avegant Corp | Portal) says that holding the power button for 5 seconds turns on the Bluetooth ! What is the Bluetooth used for ?

3) I have purchased the adaptor for thunder to hdmi, so I can watch A/V on the Glyph from my iPhone. Do I need to download movies in 740P
And 30 FPS only or I can watch 1080P video at 60 FPS and Gluph would convert it for me ?

3) I create 2 waypoints on iPad Litchi individually and the edit window for each waypoint says "altitude". I do a batch edit of the 2 waypoints and it says altitude "relative to home point. I change it to "relative to ground, apply changes. I then batch edit the 2 waypoints again and they are still "relative to HP" ! I try to save the mission after I apply change to relative to ground and save it to a file. I restore from the file and still relative to HP. any idea why ?

4) Does dji GO 4 pro warn me of all udates (RC, drone) and guide me on doing them ? I read somewhere that someone had to update some firmware for EACH battery ! Why for each battery ? Does the battery has a processor on it ?

Thanks in advance.

Sorry, I forgot:

5) To exit a mission on Litchi, I switch from P to S mode. Can I switch back to P mode again and bring it home ?

Cheers

1) It's a method for firmware update. I don't think it has any other purpose.

2) Unfortunately Bluetooth on the Glyph is for firmware update only. No BT audio, etc.

3) It should downscale it for you, I'm almost certain. You may still want to get 720p sources if you can, though. You'd need to try it out to see if you notice any benefit.

Edit for #3... Either the device or the Glyph downscales it. Not entirely sure. In practice it doesn't matter, I just wanted to clarify that.

Last edited:
qtonic thanks. I agree and understand 2&3. But the regular USB on back of RC which plugs to my iPad running dji GO 4 does the firmware update. Any other purpose you can use the micro USB simultaneously?

It is A method for firmware upgrade or other maintenance. Not everyone uses the app to upgrade.

For instance, I was instructed to connect the RC to the Phantom using that port and the short micro-USB to female USB adapter that came in the box.

There may be other uncommon uses for that port, but probably not like what you're hoping for. For instance you cannot use it for head tracking with the Glyph.

I have a P4P. I have several questions about P4, dji GO 4 and Litchi that I haven't found clear answer in previous threads or haven't received any reply. I would appreciate any feedback:

1) There are 2 USB ports on the back of my Remote Controller(USB + micro USB). What is the micro USB used for ?
I know that Glyph VR goggle needs an HDMI in for video & having a HDMI module or a tablet with HDMI out is the solution. But couldn't dji configure the micro USB port, so it converts to hdmi out ?

2) A video clip on Avegant site (Avegant Corp | Portal) says that holding the power button for 5 seconds turns on the Bluetooth ! What is the Bluetooth used for ?

3) I have purchased the adaptor for thunder to hdmi, so I can watch A/V on the Glyph from my iPhone. Do I need to download movies in 740P
And 30 FPS only or I can watch 1080P video at 60 FPS and Gluph would convert it for me ?

3) I create 2 waypoints on iPad Litchi individually and the edit window for each waypoint says "altitude". I do a batch edit of the 2 waypoints and it says altitude "relative to home point. I change it to "relative to ground, apply changes. I then batch edit the 2 waypoints again and they are still "relative to HP" ! I try to save the mission after I apply change to relative to ground and save it to a file. I restore from the file and still relative to HP. any idea why ?
Good question, my experience is the same. When I have applied the relative to ground batch edit, I check the WP altitudes have changed and I launch pretty much straightaway. When I open that mission again, I check it without editing and it flies fine. I'm thinking that when you open up the editing tool, it defaults to relative to home point thinking that you are going to modify the existing settings.

4) Does dji GO 4 pro warn me of all udates (RC, drone) and guide me on doing them ? I read somewhere that someone had to update some firmware for EACH battery ! Why for each battery ? Does the battery has a processor on it ?
Yes, you can either update or ignore it, pretty straightforward process. Each battery has to be updated individually to ensure the 'smart' electronics are current.

Thanks in advance.

As for IOS Litchi altitude relativity, there are 2 issues that are confusing:
Relativity is NOT indicated in individual WP dialog box.
In the batch edit dialog box of WPs, the altitude relativity IS indicated and you can change(and apply) it, but when you open it, the altitude relativity is always "Relative to Home Point" !!!
The expected behavior for the batch edit dialog box to show the CURRENT altitude relativity. Under the Firmware hood, something is broken.

As for IOS Litchi altitude relativity, there are 2 issues that are confusing:
Relativity is NOT indicated in individual WP dialog box.
In the batch edit dialog box of WPs, the altitude relativity IS indicated and you can change(and apply) it, but when you open it, the altitude relativity is always "Relative to Home Point" !!!
The expected behavior for the batch edit dialog box to show the CURRENT altitude relativity. Under the Firmware hood, something is broken.
Agreed, the batch edit including the RTG option is a fairly new addition and is great when you have multiple WPs. As I mentioned earlier, if you simply load the saved mission with the previously applied changes, you can fly it. As soon as you open up the settings in the batch edit tool, the default is relative to ground. Maybe they'll fix that along with the whacky behaviour with the the pano function that is plaguing me and a number of others. P4 and latest firmware (I suspect that it's a firmware issue with dji).

Now 6, 7 :)
6) It's about using Glyph with my P4P using Litchi on iPad. I have the HDMI-out module installed on the RC.
I have the HDMI on RC connected to Glyph HDMI.
The standard USB on RC connected to a USB hub and connect the hub to

Oops, as I was saying:
Let's Forget about connecting the USB for now.
With hdmi connected, I can control the P4P manually through RC and have FPV through Glyph. Right ?
If I want to use Litchi, I need to connect the RC USB to iPad. I can then run Litchi and have FPV on Glyph. Right ?
Now if I want to have head tracking enabled, I need to connect a USB hub to RC and connect the iPad and Glyph USB. Right ?
Anyone has any suggestion on a hub ? I read few other threads to no avail.
And last, head tracking is controlling the gimbal vertically and horizontally. What are "full" head tracking and "extended" head trackings ?

Oops, as I was saying:
Let's Forget about connecting the USB for now.
With hdmi connected, I can control the P4P manually through RC and have FPV through Glyph. Right ?
If I want to use Litchi, I need to connect the RC USB to iPad. I can then run Litchi and have FPV on Glyph. Right ?
Now if I want to have head tracking enabled, I need to connect a USB hub to RC and connect the iPad and Glyph USB. Right ?
Anyone has any suggestion on a hub ? I read few other threads to no avail.
And last, head tracking is controlling the gimbal vertically and horizontally. What are "full" head tracking and "extended" head trackings ?
To use the goggles, you need to connect to the HDMI port on your RC, plug the other end of your HDMI cable into your goggles and set up your display in the goggles. Have you updated the RC as part of the HDMI fit? This enables you to select in the app, simultaneous outputs and OSD. Litchi works exactly the same as dji for goggle use. I didn't know you could use head tracking on the P4P, I'm probably wrong though.

Yes, you can do head tracking on Phantom 4 series:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Apparently extended head tracking and full head tracking are the same. In this mode, you control the P4 with rotating your body and tilting your head:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I was wondering if anyone has done that.

Reactions: tevek
I meant you control the Phantom movement with rotating your body and tilting your head.

I meant you control the Phantom movement with rotating your body and tilting your head.
Thanks for the heads up, my fatsharks can't do that, as apparently the camera is not compatible with the trinity head tracker that they supply. Racing drones, yes, phantoms no. Might be time to upgrade methinks.

You can use the Glyph head tracking by plugging into the main usb port on the r/c, but doing so means you cannot connect to the phone or tablet.

There is one video where a person was able to get it to work simultaneously with a usb hub attached to the r/c, but most have not had success. I do know that person was using an Android device and I was told that iOS devices are definitely a no-go. I don't have personal experience, though.

I also read that many people are reporting problems when using IOS devices in this configuration. I wish I had gone the route of getting an nvidia shield k1 for $200 (instead of $99 HDMI-out module for RC) which has an HDMI out.
On a related note, I watched the dji goggle review and it does has an input pad on the side of it, allowing to do the settings on screen.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers