Obstacle Sensing System - Can you still catch the P4 while it is landing?

I think you can turn obstacle avoidance off.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hand catch all the time. Examples, on a sandy beach or steep hill. While I can take off on/from a beach towel, landing on one is a whole different story!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Myetkt
hand catching prevents the difficulty of us old guys having to bend down and pick up the bird from the ground... ;-P jk

its also great to prevent hard landings and tipping over which the phantoms landing gear predispose it to do.

Also, as @Kevin Jamison explained above its hard to land on a target- takes extra time anyway, faster to hand catch AND

if its dusty or sandy you prevent your bird inhaling dust and sand... cough cough

back on topic of obstacle avoidance... if a moving object like a person or car were slowly moving towards the front of the phantom 4 will it go into reverse? Sorry if that was explained I did read this from the beginning.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
I hand catch most of the time. Your props last longer the less they accidentally hit the deck.

I reckon catching your drone by hand is a pretty dangerous exercise that's from seeing the results of it going wrong
There is no other way to land it in heavy wind and snow other than catching it by hand. There are tons on videos on YouTube about that. But I found this one very useful.

You say dogs take an interest. I have had dogs think its bone coming down from the sky. I suspect the ultrasonic altimeter has something to do with the attraction, don't know what frequency the sound is but maybe dogs can hear it.

No, that will drop it straight to the ground.
Not if your Phantom is already on the ground :)

The reason it's not a good idea to use CSC when on ground is because it can cause your Phantom to tip over if it's not done cleanly. Holding the left stick down for 3-5 seconds and waiting for the motors to shut down will never cause a tip-over.

Reactions: sar104
Had my drone for 2-3 week now and i always land it and just pull back on the left stick to shut motors off, doing CSC spins up the motors on power down and that is what makes them tip over. Have never had a drone before so it's all new to me, but so far i have found landing to be very easy and i use a landing mat that fits inside my case.

Don't like the idea of trying a hand catch, seems like a good way to hurt yourself. But i do understand that sometimes it would be needed if you're on a boat or something else that's moving.

Reactions: ObiDon
Like most of you, I have read just about everything out there, and on here, about the new P4. I don't know if I overlooked it, but can anyone that has had their hands on the P4 tell me if you can still catch it as it is landing, or will the object avoidance system make the P4 fly away from you? I like to catch my P3P when I'm at the park and have drawn a crowd of kids, because for some reason they think it's ok to run and grab as it's landing, you also have the occasional dog that seems to come running out of nowhere to destroy my P3P, and a lot of times I'm just not in good area. I live in the desert and sometimes it's to rocky to land. Thanks in advance and if this has been answered somewhere else. Sorry!

When you bring it in, turn the quad away from you and fly it to your position backwards... let it hover and get ahold of it, then shut it down the way you've always done it. I've always done it that way anyway, with the camera facing away... no problem.

Hand catching rules. Always a wow factor for the crowd. I hover with props just above head height and reach up then left stick down. Completly safe and practical for many reasons

I guess many years of fixed-wing flying has me left with the opposite take as attempts to pluck a fixed-wing bird out of the air usually ends badly for both the aircraft & the catcher! :eek:

There are three major facets to flying: Take-off, flying, & landing. Take-off & flying are straightforward & easy. A bit of rudder on take-off for prop planes, particularly tail-draggers, to counter torsional forces. The most difficult part is ending your flight with a smooth, safe, controlled landing. I believe people are more impressed when they watch a pilot fly in & set down smoothly on the deck as opposed to seeing them grab an aircraft from the air. There are certainly occasions when hand-catching is useful such as extreme winds, lack of a suitable landing spot, emergency situation, etc.. I just don't feel like I have fulfilled my piloting duties if I don't land my aircraft.

Hand catching rules. Always a wow factor for the crowd. I hover with props just above head height and reach up then left stick down. Completly safe and practical for many reasons

Reactions: GoodnNuff
There is no other way to land it in heavy wind and snow other than catching it by hand. There are tons on videos on YouTube about that. But I found this one very useful.
It is my experience that under windy condition. The quad will tend to move around/ up -down and the worst time to try a hand catch.

Aircraft will not back up while hovering, so catching shouldn't be any different than before.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20