Obstacle Sensing System - Can you still catch the P4 while it is landing?

Reaction score
Like most of you, I have read just about everything out there, and on here, about the new P4. I don't know if I overlooked it, but can anyone that has had their hands on the P4 tell me if you can still catch it as it is landing, or will the object avoidance system make the P4 fly away from you? I like to catch my P3P when I'm at the park and have drawn a crowd of kids, because for some reason they think it's ok to run and grab as it's landing, you also have the occasional dog that seems to come running out of nowhere to destroy my P3P, and a lot of times I'm just not in good area. I live in the desert and sometimes it's to rocky to land. Thanks in advance and if this has been answered somewhere else. Sorry!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Like most of you, I have read just about everything out there, and on here, about the new P4. I don't know if I overlooked it, but can anyone that has had their hands on the P4 tell me if you can still catch it as it is landing, or will the object avoidance system make the P4 fly away from you? I like to catch my P3P when I'm at the park and have drawn a crowd of kids, because for some reason they think it's ok to run and grab as it's landing, you also have the occasional dog that seems to come running out of nowhere to destroy my P3P, and a lot of times I'm just not in good area. I live in the desert and sometimes it's to rocky to land. Thanks in advance and if this has been answered somewhere else. Sorry!

I think you have to sneak up behind it.

will the object avoidance system make the P4 fly away from you
It seems to only function in autonomous flight modes. We'll know for sure as soon as DJI posts the manual.

That's what I was thinking. I also kind of answered my own question after I posted it. I guess I could switch it to sport mode while landing.

Hey! Come back here! Don't run away! Stop!
It would be a great video ....

I don't own a P4 nor have I tried one, but I have watched the existing early reviews and DJI's comments and am happy to report that you can catch it with one hand.... it won't run away. Unless of course you attempt to fly it directly into your head or body.

You just have to hover it and stand beside it, then hold the landing gear and power down. It is blind to objects on it's sides, rear and above.

How to do power it down with one hand? You are holding the P4 with your other hand right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How to do power it down with one hand? You are holding the P4 with your other hand right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pull left lever all the way back.

Reactions: Farmer
Me think obstacle avoidance engages when the aircraft is in motion and not hovering .

Otherwise , it would be fun to throw a baseball and see if it will dodge it.

Better yet , even a dodge a bullet in the future phantom 5 pro vision +++ :)

I reckon catching your drone by hand is a pretty dangerous exercise that's from seeing the results of it going wrong

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I reckon catching your drone by hand is a pretty dangerous exercise that's from seeing the results of it going wrong

I've had to do it a bunch of times. It's too easy. Just let it hover within arms reach and grab it by the legs. Hold down the left trigger and you're done.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
I fly off the third floor of my house where the HVAC equipment is installed on a small deck area.....works great for getting a great antenna squint angle on my P3A over other houses and obstructions. I always hand catch it. My backup plan if it were acting squirrelly is to land it in the yard below....but I avoid this for fear of pesky kids, unleashed pets and such. You could always wear a pair of light duty gloves if you are worried about getting fingers diced. I suspect the blades will break before your fingers.

I've personally done well over 500 hand catches with Phantoms with zero problems. I've had a 2 or 3 in high gusty winds that were tricky, but it would've been impossible to land on the ground in those conditions. Hand catch is the way to go with Phantoms.

I like landing it manually, but in very windy conditions I will hand catch. Safer that way in those conditions. No problem to hold with one hand and shut down motors with the left stick down.

Not really, I hand caught my P3P every time except twice. Those two times I was just seeing if I could land it on the ground. My method was to bring it down to 5' about 10' away from me, let it hover for a few seconds, walk over to it and grab one leg and power down with the other hand. Also, if you grab the right rear leg you can power the quad off with your thumb. Easy Peasy

Reactions: John Locke

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik