Obstacle avoidance saved my (Edited by MODERATOR) this morning!

Reaction score
So after some video signal loss during a flight yesterday (I believe it was due to overheating as it was 92+ outside) I flew this morning in my back yard just to check things out. I set up some way points around the neighborhood and applied it. Even though my first waypoint was straight up to 150 ft it somehow neglected that and bee-lined to my second waypoint which was next door over some 60ft tall trees. Obstacle avoidance just barely stopped the drone before it hit a tree (and I do mean barely). What I learned was you can't control the drone with the joysticks in this scenerio....the drone kept trying to fly the path to the next waypoint no matter what I did......UNTIL I cancelled the waypoint mission (red X where the controller icon usually is in the app)...then I regained control and was able to back out. Just thought I'd share that.

here's the video, incidently the P4P does not respond to voice commands :)

You can hit the pause button and that will pause the mission or you can just flip to s and back to p and that will cancel the mission.

Reactions: BCBasher
Any of the advanced modes, such as WP, can also be stopped by flicking the mode switch, which will give you access to the sticks for control.

You can hit the pause button and that will pause the mission or you can just flip to s and back to p and that will cancel the mission.
Thanks, I was actually hitting the pause button. I couldn't tell if it was pausing the mission because the P4P was already paused by the O.A. what it would not let me do was control the drone with the sticks. I think pressing the cancel button on the screen was easier then flipping the mode switch, it just took me a second once I realized the pause button wasn't helping me in this situation.

Thanks, I was actually hitting the pause button. I couldn't tell if it was pausing the mission because the P4P was already paused by the O.A. what it would not let me do was control the drone with the sticks. I think pressing the cancel button on the screen was easier then flipping the mode switch, it just took me a second once I realized the pause button wasn't helping me in this situation.
Either way will get the job done. It did look like it paused at the end.

Either way will get the job done. It did look like it paused at the end.
I hear ya, I guess my point was that hitting "pause" did not give me control of the sticks and that was a bit surprising to me. Not until I canceled the waypoint mission did I have control of the drone.

Yeah I almost hit a tree the first time I tried "follow me". It was going backwards towards a tree and noting I did would stop it. The props were literally hitting leaves on the end of a branch. How I didn't end up in that tree I'll never know. I got real lucky.

Reactions: TMBAerial
Yeah I almost hit a tree the first time I tried "follow me". It was going backwards towards a tree and noting I did would stop it. The props were literally hitting leaves on the end of a branch. How I didn't end up in that tree I'll never know. I got real lucky.
I can relate to "real lucky" :) I do need to get back to DJI about this though because according to the P4P manual "pause" is suppose to drop the drone back into normal mode from any automatic mode and today it did not. I also need to figure why it did not go to my first waypoint of 150ft straight up and then over......it went from 20ft straight over to waypoint #2.

from the manual

Intelligent Flight Pause Button
Press once to allow the aircraft to exit from TapFly, ActiveTrack and Advanced mode. Aircraft will hover and resume to Normal mode.

That was (Edited by MODERATOR) incredible.

You were going to hit that (Edited by MODERATOR) tree.

Thank goodness the (Edited by MODERATOR) obstacle avoidance kicked in.

Have a (Edited by MODERATOR) great day!

Oh, I love the (Edited by MODERATOR) title you used for this post. It got my (Edited by MODERATOR) attention.

Reactions: BCBasher and 10X
That was (Edited by MODERATOR) incredible.

You were going to hit that (Edited by MODERATOR) tree.

Thank goodness the (Edited by MODERATOR) obstacle avoidance kicked in.

Have a (Edited by MODERATOR) great day!

Oh, I love the (Edited by MODERATOR) title you used for this post. It got my (Edited by MODERATOR) attention.

Hahaha, it actually was edited by a moderator. I was reprimanded for the word/spelling I used.

Reactions: DougAles
Were all adults here for the most part. I think the kids tend to flock to the dji forum. I just don't understand why I can't talk about my donkey or have a little prayer in my post and describe where u go when u dont, or identify a scammer? POOF ALL GONE!

Were all adults here for the most part. I think the kids tend to flock to the dji forum. I just don't understand why I can't talk about my donkey or have a little prayer in my post and describe where u go when u dont, or identify a scammer? POOF ALL GONE!
Meh, it's a bit irritating. Everyone is so easily offended these days.

Reactions: DougAles

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4