Obstacle avoidance message while flying 200 feet in clear space

Reaction score
While flying my Phantom 4 Pro today I had three obstacle avoidance messages while flying 200 feet up with nothing near by. It was windy - perhaps 10-15 miles per hour. In one instance the P4P actually stopped and backed up. The bars on the screen were showing an obstacle 45 feet away one time when clearly there was nothing within 150 feet or more.

Has anyone else had this issue? Perhaps it is a bug in the firmware?

I was wondering if maybe it's seeing dirt in the air. But it shouldn't be that sensitive. Go ahead and laugh lol. Just a thought

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

While flying my Phantom 4 Pro today I had three obstacle avoidance messages while flying 200 feet up with nothing near by. It was windy - perhaps 10-15 miles per hour. In one instance the P4P actually stopped and backed up. The bars on the screen were showing an obstacle 45 feet away one time when clearly there was nothing within 150 feet or more.

You have discovered the drawback of the DJI avoidance system. It does not work in the dark or low light, it is 100% dependant on the correct amount of light, so when there is too much light it triggers and stops the drone. I believe this is one of the reasons DJI allows users to turn it on or off because it would really mess up a filming sequence.

Given how difficult a software task it is and the price point of the hardware, I'm amazed that OA works as well as it does, or at all.

Is there a way to test the accuracies of the OA sensors? In different light conditions?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

This is the area I was flying when the obstacle avoidance kicked in.

Attachments

• DJI_0119.jpg
    DJI_0119.jpg
    526.5 KB · Views: 363
This happened to me and I put it down to low sun reflecting off calm water, maybe.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20