Obstacle Avoidance: Ghost or Birds?

Sef

Reaction score
Just took a flight at about 200 feet elevAtion, I was hovering and when I tried to move forward, obstacle avoidance kicked in and stopped me. I immediate did a 360 and pan up/down to see what was there. I saw nothing. It seemed I was being blocked from moving left completely. So I added some height, and still same thing. I got nervous about possible malfunction so I switched to sport mode and came home. When I got closer I noticed a bird following the drone aggressively, but it was small like a purple Martin or a mocking bird. Has anyone had a similar experience? I'm wondering if it was sensor malfunction, or if it could have detected birds? Detecting birds seems like a long shot to me.

Not sure about the size of the bird but I did watch a Youtube video of a guy flying his Mavic at a decent speed and it came to a full stop when a duck flew in front of him very close.

Not sure about the size of the bird but I did watch a Youtube video of a guy flying his Mavic at a decent speed and it came to a full stop when a duck flew in front of him very close.

I was reading some more, thinking now possibly it was the sun? But I've flown in MUCH brighter conditions with no issue. Only thing different was I had a polar pro nd8 filter on today, but I seriously doubt that had anything to do with it.

I was reading some more, thinking now possibly it was the sun? But I've flown in MUCH brighter conditions with no issue. Only thing different was I had a polar pro nd8 filter on today, but I seriously doubt that had anything to do with it.
I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM A COUPLE OF TIMES AND I'M SHOW IT WAS THE SUN BECAUSE WHEN I TURNED 45 Deg THE CRAFT WAS OPERATING THE WAY IT SHOULD BUT AS SOON AS I TURNED INTO THE SUN I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM THEN A FREND OF MINE TOOK HIS MAVIC PRO UP AND AS SOON AS HE POINTED IT INTO THE SUN HE GOT THE WARNING BUT IT WAS EARLY IN THE MORNING AND IT ONLY LASTED FOR ABOUT HALF AN HOUR AND THERE WAS NO MORE FAULTS

Reactions: Sef
The sun can affect OA as it sees it as sudden change of image from one that is relatively neutral to one that is fairly extreme and thinks that it is an object and reacts accordingly. Turn it off if you are confident of not hitting something during flight. I only use mine if I'm flying amongst the trees.

The sun can affect OA as it sees it as sudden change of image from one that is relatively neutral to one that is fairly extreme and thinks that it is an object and reacts accordingly. Turn it off if you are confident of not hitting something during flight. I only use mine if I'm flying amongst the trees.

Thank you for letting me know I was worried the drone was faulty..

Thank you for letting me know I was worried the drone was faulty..
The first time it happened to me during a Litchi mission, I freaked out a bit. I have since left OA off once I'm up and flying and it hasn't occurred since. Your drone is probably all good.

I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM A COUPLE OF TIMES AND I'M SHOW IT WAS THE SUN BECAUSE WHEN I TURNED 45 Deg THE CRAFT WAS OPERATING THE WAY IT SHOULD BUT AS SOON AS I TURNED INTO THE SUN I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM THEN A FREND OF MINE TOOK HIS MAVIC PRO UP AND AS SOON AS HE POINTED IT INTO THE SUN HE GOT THE WARNING BUT IT WAS EARLY IN THE MORNING AND IT ONLY LASTED FOR ABOUT HALF AN HOUR AND THERE WAS NO MORE FAULTS
You are most likely correct. I've seen many posts on here about OA mistaking the sun for an obstacle. By the way, would you kindly not YELL AT US? ;)

Reactions: tevek

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen