Obstacle avoidance altitude

Reaction score
As i know, P4 has obstacle avoidance system which after it comes close to an obstacle stops, and in case of RTH it ascends and after avoidance is gone continues going forward/rth.

Question is, what is the altitude limit in that case?

A) whatever user has allowed in the app
B) 120 meters
C) 500 meters
D) It doesn't ascend

Sent from my SM-G900FD using PhantomPilots mobile app

As i know, P4 has obstacle avoidance system which after it comes close to an obstacle stops, and in case of RTH it ascends and after avoidance is gone continues going forward/rth.

Question is, what is the altitude limit in that case?

A) whatever user has allowed in the app
B) 120 meters
C) 500 meters
D) It doesn't ascend

You set the RTH altitude in the app. The entry is in meters regardless of measurement system selected. It won't go higher than this entry if it encounters an obstacle.

Reactions: t2adze
image.jpeg

Reactions: t2adze
This is from the manual, hope it's what you're looking for.

Aircraft can now sense and actively attempt to avoid obstale during FailSafe RTH, provided that the light condition is ideal for the Obstacle Sensing System. The details on how the aircraft will behave during obstacle avoid is listed below:
1. Aircraft decelerates when an obstacle is sensed at 65 feet (20 meters) ahead.

2. Aircraft stops and hover then start ascending vertically to avoid the obstacle. Eventually, the aircraft will stop climbing when it is at least 16 feet (5 meters) above the detected obstacle.

3. Failsafe RTH procedure resume, the aircraft will continue ying to the Home Point at the current altitude.

Only knew it was in there because I've been studying the manual at work in anticipation of my P4.

Aircraft can now sense and actively attempt to avoid obstale during FailSafe RTH, provided that the light condition is ideal for the Obstacle Sensing System. The details on how the aircraft will behave during obstacle avoid is listed below:
1. Aircraft decelerates when an obstacle is sensed at 65 feet (20 meters) ahead.

2. Aircraft stops and hover then start ascending vertically to avoid the obstacle. Eventually, the aircraft will stop climbing when it is at least 16 feet (5 meters) above the detected obstacle.

3. Failsafe RTH procedure resume, the aircraft will continue ying to the Home Point at the current altitude.

Only knew it was in there because I've been studying the manual at work in anticipation of my P4.

Thanks. I should've re-read the manual before responding. So I'm guessing that it will ascend until max set height reached? If you set a really low max height or are flying towards a really tall obstacle, will it climb to max height and then hover?

What if there's an obstacle above the drone? As far as I know, there are no sensors above the drone so it would hit while ascending while trying to RTH?

So can that 5 minute ascending be changed to any other number?

They said it ascends 5 meters and then moves on. Can this value of 5 meters be changed?

Oh sorry, no it can not.. It should stop and if it still doesn't have a clear view I do believe it will try another 5m.

They said it ascends 5 meters and then moves on. Can this value of 5 meters be changed?

I wondering why you'd want to change that setting. Can you explain? Seems to me if it has clearance to return, all is good in most cases. After resuming forward flight during RTH, and it sees anything else in the way, it stops to ascend again, (IE: a gradual incline hill) enough to be 5M above the obstacle (this could be a 250' building) , and continues the RTH. This seems like it would work for all scenarios. Maybe an increase to 15M might help avoid antennas or wire stringers to brace antennas in suburban areas, things that OA can't see. Is that your thought?

P4 will climb in RTH mode to avoid obstacles , irrespectively of your RTH altitude you specify in the application , then it will cruise on this new higher altitude , unless it finds another obstacle in the new higher altitude , it would ascend further to avoid it , the only part which is unknown is what if the obstacle is higher than the maximum operating altitude of p4 which is 500 meter ?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

By the way if you fly night time you need to set your Rth altitude higher than any obstacle since obstacle avoidance would not work

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

it will ascend to avoid the object

Thanks for posting. The manual wasn't entirely clear to me on what "avoid the obstacle" meant. My worry was that the P4P would detect the obstacle and then just hover until the battery ran low enough to force a landing, wherever that might be. Good to know it will attempt to fly over an obstacle rather than just hover.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj