Obeying FAA rules?

Reaction score
We have an annual river float and this year I thought I would try to get some footage and pictures of folks enjoying themselves. I was looking at the City's website for the event and noticed this picture in their gallery. This guy has to be breaking some rule. The local airport here is well within 5 miles of the river and I've already discussed with them my plans of where I'll be flying and for how long. The guy at the tower was very cooperative and we discussed some concerns together but basically said ok. Because this event is a big deal here naturally people hire helicopters to get some video footage and pics and they are my main concern when I take the quad up and in this pic you can see why.

Attachments

• FlyingLow.png
    FlyingLow.png
    740.2 KB · Views: 492
Ummmm... flying a Robinson R44 over people may present a bigger hazzard than a 3 lb Phantom....

But still, never fly anything that depends on air to hold it up along with an onboard PC over over people...

That you contacted The Tower and got their blessings, I'd say.. show them what can be done safely with a tiny Multi-Rotor That can produce Awesome footage :mrgreen:

I'd say that guy is flying too low. This is a huge safety issue. The FAA should immediately prohibit commercial use for all helicopters and only allow hobbyist use until they can sort the whole thing out. It should only take a couple years to do so. :)

This one is rather tricky to answer. If this were an aircraft, without a doubt the pilot would be in violation of at least 2 sections of the Federal Aviation Rules. 1. Below 1000' over an open air congregation of people (river float) 2. Must be 1000' over the tallest structure in a populated area. These rules do not apply to helicopters as long as they are not operated in a manner that is hazardous to persons or property. Pretty subjective. Could you argue that he is a hazard to people and property? In my mind yes he is. His rotor wash could easily flip one of the floats. If the engine quit his rotor would definately kill those people below him. It is up to interpretation.

I applaud you for contacting the local tower and discussing your intentions. Well done.

Yeah. This guy was too low. WAY too low. The open water exception is not applicable when there's buildings within a 100' of your main rotor.

And then to do it in a R44!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20