Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

NYC 2016 Blizzard

Discussion in 'Photos and Video' started by zitrojj, Jan 25, 2016.

1. zitrojj

First video. Lots to learn but wanted to share.

#1 zitrojj, Jan 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
  2. eaglegoaltender

Pretty neat, if not "risky" flying and video there man (and your first video to boot) - what a mess of snow, yikes! I see you had a spectator staring and waving out of the upstairs window at the 1:00 mark of the vid - lol. You are a lot braver than I as to flying around that densely populated area and in those temps - luckily all went well as to flying (looks like you stayed pretty close to where your home point was - so that was smart).

What was your "ground level" air temperature and how did the batteries handle it?

Actually a great way for cities to plan snow plowing routes after a storm like that. Best of luck as to digging out and stay safe!

3. zitrojj

It was about 31F when I got out and the batteries handle like champs. I only flew each one until 50% being my first time flying in the cold weather. Yes and luckily all went well. I am in Queens and they didn't plow until today. So the streets were not crowded. The spectator is my tenant so he was cool with it. Wanted me to take a picture of him for his FB - lol.

I tried keeping the bird close to home. Not sure if because of the cold it would act erratic. Again it handed like a champ. I kept it the batteries and the bird warm in my car before flying.

As for digging out. I had to miss work because all the shoveling I did yesterday was in vein. Plows came and covered my drive way back up.

4. eaglegoaltender

Thanks for the feedback - good info as to the batteries and how the bird handled! I watched your vid again and since I've never seen NYC or Queens for that matter in person your vid gives one a pretty good perspective on how many people live in just that area alone (pretty fascinated with that).

Quick question for you - at the beginning of your vid (12 seconds in or so) out towards the horizon - is that the skyline of the "Big Apple" (as in downtown etc). Looks pretty neat - how far a drive is that for you? Snow day for you then?

5. zitrojj

Yes, that is the "Big Apple". It's about 7 miles from where I live. It's a 15 min subway ride or about 30 minutes in car due to traffic.

Snow day it is. If I can get my car out. I might go to Flushing Meadow Corona Park to fly. That is the site for the 69 worlds fair.

6. jdel2005

Nice video, btw. I am a new p3p owner also(12/24). Here in northern Indiana the temp hasn't been above freezing but for one day. All of my 12 hours are in these frigid conditions. UPDATE, I am flying in conditions that I shouldn't be!? 10F to 30F(-12C through -2C) I am very attentive to the humidity as icing will bring this thing down like a brick since it can't glide. I have my battery voltage displayed on my main flight screen so I have a constant monitor I can view. I also CALIBRATE every flight! Even if you are flying from the exact same point. I have witnessed discrepancies in the altitutde. I'll come in and hover at 4 feet or so and it will say I'm at 0.0ft in elevation and when landing continued to go 4 feet underground. Mind you, I calibated the bird before I took off. The extreme cold effects EVERY system from what I can tell. I don't fly at full throttle in any direction at any time. I move very deliberately and slowly. Battery life(of course), is barely over 15 minutes, although I am conservative and hover very close for the last 4 -5 minutes after I return home at the low battery warning(30%). The batteries (I have 2 extras) are kept on my defrost vent in my running vehicle to stay warm.The cold will kill this thing quickly and I am probably over protective. Even if it doesn't seem necessary, or is overkill. I will do it based on my 50 or so flights. Just my 2 cents.

nightpirate and zitrojj like this.