Ny post reporting faa putting the squeeze on realtors using

Reaction score
http://www.inman.com/2014/07/01/drone-r ... -realtors/

So heres the question. Its ok to take photographs of people and weddings to sell for commercial or private use, but if a realtor takes aerial shots of a property he is representing, that is illegal. What is the difference. Can anyone explain. It looks like our hobby will be very short lived. Too much negative press. I guess the newspapers dont have anything better to report.

Re: Ny post reporting faa putting the squeeze on realtors us

It's amazing that Google Street view didn't get much resistance but "drones" are the new privacy busters. It's ludicrous.

I looked up the "drone" company this Real Estate firm was using http://skypanintl.com/about.htm Its not even the kind of "drones" that the media is obsessed with, its a freaking 5 1/2 foot R/C helicopter. So ban R/C planes and helicopters. The level of stupidity of the FAA and general public ticks me off. :evil:

here is the problem as I see it. The FAA is sticking their noses into a space that they have no legal right to...Yes they should be concerned for safety thats all, but to get involved with whether its illegal or not to fly it other than safety is nonsense. Did you know if you want to fly over buildings for fun thats allowed but as soon as you want to make money off that same footage then it becomes illegal. In reading another article there will be grey areas where someone shoots some aerial footage for fun then two years later decides to sell it..what will they do then.
here i quote...The FAA is investigating New York City realtors who are using drones to document properties. They’ve also issued guidelines saying the use of model aircraft (drones) by farmers is unlawful. The guidance is the next absurd step in the never ending saga of government agencies that can’t figure out how to regulate new technology.

The FAA’s position is as simple as it is inane. If a realtor films buildings for fun using a remote controlled quadcopter that’s legal. But if she takes that same quadcopter and films buildings as part of her job, that is illegal. If a farmer flies a model aircraft over his cornfield doing barrel rolls and loops, that’s legal. But if he uses the same model airplane to determine how to conserve water or use less fertilizer that’s illegal. This is government regulation at its worst.
This needs to stop..figures the year that "24" decides to do a whole thing on drones...and they now become more popular the FAA will stick their noses into something they shouldn't..but its okay to have surveillance camera's everywhere...that doesn't invade
privacy....amazing.....I still want to know from anybody, if Im a photographer and taking pics of people for a magazine..shoot or a wedding and I'm getting paid for the pictures or a paparazzi and getting paid, that is legal. Im allowed to take pics on the ground of anyone, but god forbid I go into the airspace thats used by airplanes and take a pic. If I try to sell that for money thats not allowed. I can even take pictures of the president of the united states Mr. Obama himself and thats legal its called photojournalism and thats allowed and I can sell those pics. whats the difference one is with my feet on the ground and the other is in the air. Does the FAA own all air space, what is their problem why do they even care whether you sell it or not. Safety issues, yes they should be involved with that..thats all they should be involved with. This will eventually go to a higher court a smart lawyer can argue for this to be legal, I don't see how it is illegal.

There's a massive difference between legal and lawful. The US (like the UK) is one of the last bastions whose entire legal system is still based on the foundations of common law. They'll be trying to change that as soon as they get the opportunity. Don't give up those hard fought for rights. It might be "legal" but is it lawful? Is there an actual law laid down (for most of this stuff, there isn't).

The more you research, the more you'll find that just because government says it's right, it doesn't actually mean that they are. They will rely upon our apathy to question, our ignorance to verify and our willingness or rather our laziness to hold them to account.

Bmews

BMews, that was nicely said, but I think the FAA also rely on that fact that most people do not have the financial wherewithal, to take on the FAA in a court battle.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20