Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Nvidia Shield versus Nvidia Shield K1

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by dirtbird, May 11, 2016.

1. dirtbird

I've been heavily researching different tablets for my P3A and a front-runner for me is the Nvidia Shield right now. However, on DJI's list of recommended tablets they state the Nvidia Shield *K1*. For the life of me I can't find a single difference between the regular Nvidia Shield and the K1. Is there one? Is there anyone successfully using an Nvidia Shield that isn't specifically the K1?

2. Excavator99

Nvidia Shield isn't a tablet its a gaming device/android TV console. The Nvidia Shield K1 is the tablet. There is an Nvidia shield portable that has a game controller with screen included.

Reed L and flpholt like this.
  3. DroneDestination

There is also an older version of the tablet called the Nvidia Shield. The K1 has identical specs, but no stylus, and slightly different exterior. The K1 is cheaper than the original Shield because it doesn't have a stylus.

4. dirtbird

Thanks. So wouldn't you think the Nvidia Shield would function with the P3's in the same fashion as the Nvidia Shield K1's?

5. DroneDestination

No, it should. However, to be safe, I'd make sure to get the newer model (K1) for sake of longer update life.

6. Excavator99

I stand corrected after seeing your post I did another search and found this article Nvidia Shield vs Nvidia Shield K1. It also doesn't come with a charger or cord. Sorry for the mis information.

7. BDOG

Nor a stylus. Its just the barebones tablet. NVidia's logic is that they can reduce costs by not including the charger , charge cable, nor the stylus and pass that savings on to the consumer.

8. Fat City

9. steve crowell

I like the nvidia shield k1 but I have had to return 2, due to one of them locking up, and the other one not charging. Now I need a new tablet. I'm having a hard time deciding on what to get

10. NYRangers99

I have the Nvidia Shield and it works great...there are a bunch of people on this forum that use the Shield and highly recommend it...I personally love the original Shield...I use it strictly for my P3P and use it for nothing else

11. Reed L

:) I use mine for everything, no problems. I'm using it now. I have found that a cheap $5.00 stylus pen works great for everything and its a standard mini USB charger so any mini usb phone charger from an old phone will work. My wife has the S7edge with the 25watt charger and it works great for the K1. Then coupled with the HDMI port built in, its a great little tablet. I also have a 10" Verizon Ellipsis 10 that they had on sale for $100 and that also works great :)

12. DroneDestination

Micro USB, not mini.
    [​IMG]

Mark The Droner likes this.
  13. Reed L

Hey... Nit picking a bit... Lol :)
    Out with the old mini and in with the new!

14. dirtbird

Drat...I jumped too quickly. Had I known that someone was out there selling these with a warranty I would have paid the extra money. As it turns out just before this post I found someone in a neighboring city with a Nexus 7 (2013) willing to ship it to me for $70 (excluding shipping). Yes, it might be a little less, but the warranty and return policy would have been nice. Hopefully, it will work ok.