Nvidia shield tablet K1

Reaction score
Hi there, I'm hoping somebody can help , I have just purchased the nvidia shield tablet to use with my P4 but I get coloured horizontal lines going across the screen , all I've downloaded is the DJI GO app , I currently use a ipad mini2 and it's flawless, but the nvidia shield is not cutting it , I haven't attempted to fly it , so could someone point me in the right direction as to what to do , thanks

I have the same tablet, had it for about 2 weeks.

I get the same when the aircraft is too near the RC and perhaps the max video bitrate of 10Mb/sec (which you cannot control!) is a little too much. Once I take off and am a few 10s of metres away all is well and once I am at proper range all is well. I assume the video bit rate drops sharply once not right next to the aircraft.

Try a small, controlled flight to see if you get the same.

Note: When I used an ipad air 2 borrowed from work while waiting for the shield I had no problems, but the iOS app appears to be developed in parallel and not from the same code base.

I have the same tablet, had it for about 2 weeks.

I get the same when the aircraft is too near the RC and perhaps the max video bitrate of 10Mb/sec (which you cannot control!) is a little too much. Once I take off and am a few 10s of metres away all is well and once I am at proper range all is well. I assume the video bit rate drops sharply once not right next to the aircraft.

Try a small, controlled flight to see if you get the same.

Note: When I used an ipad air 2 borrowed from work while waiting for the shield I had no problems, but the iOS app appears to be developed in parallel and not from the same code base.
Hi there Peter, thank you for your reply , I will give that a try tomorrow, and will let you know how I get on , once again thank you.

I had the lines regularly using 1 - 2 yr old Samsung devices. Had them once or twice with my Shield but no more than can be expected with the technology involved. Don't stress it.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I had the lines regularly using 1 - 2 yr old Samsung devices. Had them once or twice with my Shield but no more than can be expected with the technology involved. Don't stress it.

Hi there Doug ,
its strange as i dont get it when i use my ipad mini , yesterday i went out and purchased the google nexus 7 2013 which is recommended by DJI and the same thing happened , so will be returning both items today and i will stick with the ipad as its flawless.
regards
phil.

I like the K1 a lot. Works well with both DJIGO and Litchi. I do wish the screen was a tad brighter as even with my sun shade its a little hard to see in bright sun.

K1 is awesome. Perfect for the Phantom series

I just like android so much more, I mean my iPad I just bought is fine. Just trying to talk myself into another 200.00 lol

Well I will say there are things the K1 can do that you can't do with the iPad. Right off the top of my head the K1 is a gaming tablet. It has a built in screen recorder. Second after flying you can take the card out of the bird and put it in the K1 to watch.

After flying hours upon hours with both I would say it's a toss up. IPad compass is superior to K1. Screen on iPad is bigger and just better. I have never had any type of app failure with the iPad. I have had one problem with the K1 on a flight.. one..
So again. If you are buying something just for flying K1. Inexpensive and powerful..

I like that idea also of watching video on card with it,nice in a pinch. I like it has a mini hdmi as well.

Oh what issue did you find with compass? I know now and than with iPad I get prompted to calibrate and roll around circle on screen.
My iPad feels solid and nice but I hate not having control of my apps like on android. If I want to down grade a update I can reinstall the apk. Apple I have to keep backup and do restore

Last edited:
The compass in the K1 is not as accurate as the iPad. I never had a problem it is just easier to aim at the AC because the data is more accurate.

Well I will say there are things the K1 can do that you can't do with the iPad. Right off the top of my head the K1 is a gaming tablet. It has a built in screen recorder. Second after flying you can take the card out of the bird and put it in the K1 to watch...

I prefer Android, that's my phone preference, but I use iPads to fly DJI because they work well. The exception is the iPad mini 2 and mini 3 only works well under 90°F. Newer iPads work well in most all environments. IPads do cost more, so if you can't afford an iPad with cellular, the K1 is a great solution for Android.

I've had issues with Android (latency), tried 3 Samsung models, but that was over a year ago, running the Pilot app, before GO app. So things are likely better on Android today.

The SD card slot is nice in the K1, but I can review videos immediately from the iPad cache in 720p, which is adequate for purposes of confirming the shot.

The screen recorder in the K1 is nice, but I don't need it, otherwise I would get an iOS app for that.

I really like the lossless 2X zoom the iPad provides when shooting in 1080. Great for inspections, SAR and animal watching. I expect Android to have that feature soon though, seems like a natural.

What I don't like in the iPad is the text editor, with that slow bubble tool to place the cursor process. Android is way easier and faster in that regard. Hence I don't use iPad for other apps, only flying DJI. If Swype can ever get their keyboard app to work effectively in the iPad, my usage of iPad may expand to other apps.

I prefer Android, that's my phone preference, but I use iPads to fly DJI because they work well. The exception is the iPad mini 2 and mini 3 only works well under 90°F. Newer iPads work well in most all environments. IPads do cost more, so if you can't afford an iPad with cellular, the K1 is a great solution for Android.

I've had issues with Android (latency), tried 3 Samsung models, but that was over a year ago, running the Pilot app, before GO app. So things are likely better on Android today.

The SD card slot is nice in the K1, but I can review videos immediately from the iPad cache in 720p, which is adequate for purposes of confirming the shot.

The screen recorder in the K1 is nice, but I don't need it, otherwise I would get an iOS app for that..

I have a brand new iPad mini it works fine. I agree it works every time. However, I don't see that it is appreciably better than the shield. To be honest I prefer flying with my iPad Air 2 the most. So the iPad may work fine for you but... when I went on my cruise I left both iPads at home and took the shield. The shield came in really handy and I used it for everything. I flew about 3 cards on my P3.. went scuba diving in three different ports my wife and I each carried Hero 4 blacks. We burned through 2 cards on each dive. All I can say is having the ability to pop any of the cards from the action cameras into the shield and output it to the HD TV in my suite was awesome. My wife loved it. As much as I like the iPad ... you just can't do that with it. The screen record is awesome and comes native with the shield. No need to install some buggy app that also brings with it the restriction that comes with iOS media. Plain and simple the shield is easier. When you run out of storage in the Apple you are done. With the shield you grab another card and keep right on going. Framing a shot 720p) is one thing... being in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico watching the actual footage is well...better and that is why the shield was the best choice for me then. Not to mention that on one sea day we watched 4 episodes of the Americans because we were too tired to leave the suite. In HD through the shield.

Simply stated the shield is more versatile. That said I'm home and don't use the shield much because I prefer the iPad for the daily stuff. The battery last significantly longer and the picture is better. Solid system but not always the best tool. For flying you can't go wrong with either the iPad or the the shield it is awesome.

Don't let anyone tell you that the iPad is the best if you can't afford it get the shield. I have both and have put hours upon hours flying on both. The shield is just as capable and in some situations the better choice. Removable media is a great advantage.. mini hdmi out another huge advantage.

Reactions: auen1
Hi there guys , i have the p3 standard and the p4 , i fly both with the ipad mini 2 which is flawless , some weeks ago i purchased the nvidia shield K1 and when used on the p3 it was great but on the p4 i kept getting coloured lines across the screen which was surprising as the shield is highly rated by DJI , i even purchased the nexus 7 2013 version but the same thing happens , but when using the mini 2 it is faultless so i will stick with the ipad .

I have been using the shield for a year and the only issue I had was on an autonomous litchi flight. The AC went out of controller range. Showed disconnected in the app. When the AC came back in range it never showed connected. That's it. No idea about the lines some are reporting. I don't have them never have.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj