Nvidia Shield K1 with DJI Go 4 ?

Reaction score
I've seen many threads discussing the Nvidia Shield K1 tablet, and I am familiar with this list of preferred devices: Best Tablets/Phones for DJI GO | Phantom Help

However, I have not noticed any information about this tablet specifically for DJI Go 4 and the P4 Pro.

Does anyone have experience using the Nvidia Shield K1 with the P4 Pro, either with DJI GO or other apps? I would also be open to other economical tablet options that work well with the P4 Pro.
Thanks!

I've had no trouble using my Nvidia Shield K1 with DJI GO 4 either.

Reactions: PIC107
I have had no problems at all with Nvidia K1 and the best part is it has a HDMI output that connects directly to my Headplay =Amazing

Your big decision is not which tablet, but which operating system. If you choose Android the K1 is a good choice. If you choose iOS then the iPad Mini 2 WiFi is the lowest cost tablet. If you a long time user of one of these platforms then take that into account. There are lots of similarities, but enough differences to drive you crazy.

As of today (1/7/17) while DJI Go 4, Litchi, and Drone Deploy are available for either OS, you will need iOS to use DJI GS Pro, Drone Pan, or Map Pilot.

On the practical side, while the K1 has the same size screen as a Mini iPad (~6.75"), it is slightly wider (~8.75) and the sunshade for the Mini won't fit on the K1.

Whatever you decide, be aware that DJI has announced the Crystal Sky tablets, no pricing or availability yet. These super-bright screens promise to be the Next Big Thing, but while they will run on an Android OS, no word yet whether they will run third party apps (or DJI GS Pro for that matter).

Last edited:
Would the "virtual fence" in GS Pro prevent fly aways? If so, maybe the iPad is the way to go for me? I'll be getting into real estate photography and could set boundaries limiting the P4P just to a single property?

I think you are worrying too much. For real estate photography most of your video will be under 200 ft and easy to keep in line of sight. Making a virtual fence would be a nuisance. Besides, depending on the position of the property some of your best angles will be from adjoining property. Example:

I have used a virtual fence once on a 3DR Solo to keep the craft away from an a**hole's property after he threatened to shoot it down. But, if you are keeping the thing in sight, and glance every so often at the screen, you should be able to avoid straying into danger areas. The virtual fence is great if you are flying high and unable to judge where it is laterally, or if there are some obstacles (like stadiums, high light poles, power lines, mountain cliffs) you must avoid.

You ask about fly-aways. In over a year I have never had one. If you keep it in line of sight I really doubt that it will lose the RC connection. In any case you are probably set to have the craft Return Home if it loses the RC connection.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for all the helpful replies! I hope to be testing/enjoying my new K1 a few days from now.

I think you are worrying too much. For real estate photography most of your video will be under 200 ft and easy to keep in line of sight. Making a virtual fence would be a nuisance. Besides, depending on the position of the property some of your best angles will be from adjoining property. Example:

I have used a virtual fence once on a 3DR Solo to keep the craft away from an a**hole's property after he threatened to shoot it down. But, if you are keeping the thing in sight, and glance every so often at the screen, you should be able to avoid straying into danger areas. The virtual fence is great if you are flying high and unable to judge where it is laterally, or if there are some obstacles (like stadiums, high light poles, power lines, mountain cliffs) you must avoid.

You ask about fly-aways. In over a year I have never had one. If you keep it in line of sight I really doubt that it will lose the RC connection. In any case you are probably set to have the craft Return Home if it loses the RC connection.
I'm just now getting into real estate photography. Haven't had a shoot yet, still learning the ins and outs. I feel I have a good eye, with around 60+ photos up in a special collection on Getty from working with my Nikon D5300. I feel I'd be good at this, too. A question in regards to that neighbor threatening to shoot down your drone: now that drones are legal for commercial use, do citizens still have the right to shoot down drones? Is there a limit above someone's property you must be to avoid "trespassing"? Thanks.

The K1 works just fine with the P4p

Does it? Every time I am connected to my aircraft I can almost guarantee 2-3 crashes each time. Unless there are conflicting apps, the WiFi or something else causing the app to crash? If you watch the NeverMindYourOwn guy too, he gets frequent grey screens/ disconnects or app closures mid flight too, forcing him to either restart the app or power cycling the controller.

Does it? Every time I am connected to my aircraft I can almost guarantee 2-3 crashes each time. Unless there are conflicting apps, the WiFi or something else causing the app to crash? If you watch the NeverMindYourOwn guy too, he gets frequent grey screens/ disconnects or app closures mid flight too, forcing him to either restart the app or power cycling the controller.
Witch is the android level ?
Mine is on 6...
On 7 there are problems reported on this forum.
I had to go back to the factory level: 5...
And then upgrade to 6...
I had never issues.

Marc.

Witch is the android level ?
Mine is on 6...
On 7 there are problems reported on this forum.
I had to go back to the factory level: 5...
And then upgrade to 6...
I had never issues.

Marc.
It came with Android 7 pre installed (it is not very old and the K1 Shield model)

It came with Android 7 pre installed (it is not very old and the K1 Shield model)
Mind you my Sony phone has Android 7 to and does not crash like the Nvidia shield does.

My view is simple on this: DJI do not release a product until its flight management software is deemed as perfected and stable as possible, especially with laws all over the place going insane regarding safety!

Mind you my Sony phone has Android 7 to and does not crash like the Nvidia shield does.

My view is simple on this: DJI do not release a product until its flight management software is deemed as perfected and stable as possible, especially with laws all over the place going insane regarding safety!
I would recommend you to downgrade to 6 on the Nvidia Shield K1.
As mentioned previously a lot of people had the same problem and after downgrading all go's fine.
See: How to downgrade K1 Shield to 6.0 Android

Good luck.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20