nVidia Shield K1 just got Android 7.0 (nougat)

Reaction score
Full OTA system update to Android version 7.0 Nougat is available for download. I wasn't planning to be early adopter but my kid downloaded it and restarted tablet. So, I'll do factory reset and reinstall DJI apps for first impressions. Stay tuned...

Reactions: nssdrone and Erised
Just got the update notification on mine just waiting on feedback regarding Go and Litchi before applying it.. Looking forward to your impressions when u get time to test.

OK, I wiped device to factory settings and did setup from zero. I haven't restored from any backup, setup as new. I'm using 64GB class 10 microSD configured as internal (adopted storage).
No problems during setup, wireless networks were detected and connected. Many preinstalled apps needed update so that took some 15 minutes.
I've installed DJI Go, DJI Go 4, Litchi, Compass from Fulemine Software and Phantom Pilots app. Did tablet compass calibration indoors with satisfactory result.
Connected P4P RC and powered it up. Got all 3 control apps listed for starting. Used Go 4 and got video feed without any glitches. Video latency was under 500ms tested standing on the table. Powered everything down and tested Litchi which was my biggest fear since there were reports about Go and Litchi not coexisting on devices with Nougat. Also no problems at all, after powering RC again all 3 apps offered and after choosing Litchi it came up with video in no time. Also video latency normal.
I'm unable to do flight tests ATM (night and light snow) or test P3P but everything looks fine so far. I'll update you tomorrow.
Device itself feels fast and responsive.

Thanks for the update but sounds very promising so far. I'm sure other reports will soon start appearing as others get the update notification.

OK, I wiped device to factory settings and did setup from zero. I haven't restored from any backup, setup as new. I'm using 64GB class 10 microSD configured as internal (adopted storage).
No problems during setup, wireless
Device itself feels fast and responsive.

You stated above that you "wiped device to factory settings..."
After doing so did you get the OTA update and verify in Settings that you are indeed running 7.0 on your K1?

I did a complete factory reset first without reinstalling anything and then had to clear the check for update cache, restart and then go back to check for update in settings.

I'm running 7.0 Nougat now with all of my flying apps and everything seems to be running smoothly. Will try to fly and test Litchi and Go 4 tomorrow after this snowstorm passes Through. Hope all goes smoothly.

Sent from my Current position

You stated above that you "wiped device to factory settings..."
After doing so did you get the OTA update and verify in Settings that you are indeed running 7.0 on your K1?

I did a complete factory reset first without reinstalling anything and then had to clear the check for update cache, restart and then go back to check for update in settings.

I'm running 7.0 Nougat now with all of my flying apps and everything seems to be running smoothly. Will try to fly and test Litchi and Go 4 tomorrow after this snowstorm passes Through. Hope all goes smoothly.

I did OTA update to 7.0 from 6.1.15 and then did wipe/factory from recovery menu.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I am skipping this release. I do not want to wipe. Too much of a time vampire.

Is there a change log available? I have all updating disabled on my Shield.

Is there a change log available? I have all updating disabled on my Shield.

SHIELD Controller (2017) Support

Updates to SHIELD controller support

New Multitasking Features

Split-screen: Run two apps side by side* in Portrait or Landscape modes

Quick switch: Double tap the Overview button to quickly switch back to the last opened app

Improved Notifications

Multiple notifications from the same app are now bundled for a streamlined experience

Reply to messages directly from within the notification*

Tap and hold on a notification to quickly silence or block notifications from the app

Improved Power Consumption

Doze on the Go: Doze is now smarter & kicks in even when the device is being carried around

Emoji

Includes all-new Unicode 9 emojis

Usability Improvements

Display & Font size can now separately adjustable to improve readability or screenspace

Quick Settings can now be customized directly from the menu by tapping "Edit"

The top Quick Setting tiles can now be accessed with a downward swipe from the lock screen

Settings now includes a Navigation Menu & Suggestions to improve usability

The "Clear all" option in Overview have been relocated to the top right

System wide improvements including:

New Data Saver: when enabled, limits access to Cellular data for background apps

New JIT compiler: improves the speed of App & System updates

Update to Android Security Patch Level December 1, 2016

SHIELD Rewards Program

EMOJIS! Yessssssss!

Thanks for the info.
Unfortunately I dont see anything that will greatly improve my experience or performance. Maybe split screen.

I was reading that this tablet when rooted is a speed demon.

Can you advise why it is necessary, or best, to do a factory reset after 7.0 update? Only a few apps needed updating. I am running Go App 3.0.1 for a P3S. Have not flown yet, but will tomorrow.

Not required but usually advisable after a major OS upgrade. Removes any residual rubbish that may cause problems down the line.

Reactions: octantman
Can you advise why it is necessary, or best, to do a factory reset after 7.0 update? Only a few apps needed updating. I am running Go App 3.0.1 for a P3S. Have not flown yet, but will tomorrow.
'The main reason is to clear the cache and other system drivers and storage files of the old OS and of other files that are not needed like an application installed a few months ago ( which was uninstalled ) would still have some or the other files built into the cache and hence slows the system down considerably if it becomes large .

Resetting the phone clears this cache completely and starts from a totally new perspective , hence making it free of useless files .'

Cleans up old files, cache, drivers etc on OS that are not needed and taking up space and resources.

This is recommended with any Android system OTA . Phone, tab...

Reactions: octantman
Got it, thanks. Only had the K1 a month, primarily for the P3S. Still, space is, or will one day, be limited.

Has anyone who has updated to 5.0 tried a flight yet with either GO or Litchi?

cool nice to know. Which version of Go was it 3.1.2 or 4

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers