Nvidia Shield K1 GPS with P3S connected to wifi

Reaction score
Good morning.
New to PhantomPilots, and have a new P3S. Love it.

My Galaxy 7S phone works all the functions flawlessly, but one day I will want a tablet. The Nvidia Shield K1 seems to be a top non-Apple choice.

Want to confirm that when the tablet is connected to P3S (using the tablets' WiFi of course, it cannot be tethered) that the GPS on the tablet functions for the purpose of using the Intelligent Functions in the Go app, like follow me and point of interest that appear to require GPS on the tablet (ie the tablet GPS does not rely on WiFi or cellular service to locate itself since WiFi is in use connected to the P3S).

Hope that is a clear question. There are lots of threads about the issue but I cannot find the answer to this very narrow issue.

Thanks a million, I am sure you guys know the answer!

Not used the GPS required functions yet, but it works. I have my little blue dot on the map showing my device and moves when I move.

You can have internet access as well by bluetooth tethering to your phone..

I have ~5 flights with my P3S and the Nvidia shield k1 tablet now and yes the GPS works great on the tablet without being tethered etc. Just need to be sure you've got the maps cached on the tablet where you'll be flying.

The shield is a phenomenal tablet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thank you, Drone_King and hiaviator! Its great when folks have experience and are willing to share it.
So now I need to see about a proper mount; prefer not to drill holes in the transmitter.

Sincerely,

I also use the K1 with a P3S. Awesome tablet and drone. Have not tried any of the smart functions but it always records my home point on take off and shows it on the map. So I would assume the other features would work as well. But I'm not exactly sure all functions are compatible with android. I want to say that I've read some only work with apple but don't quote me on that. You would have to do a little research and digging.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I also use the K1 with a P3S. Awesome tablet and drone. Have not tried any of the smart functions but it always records my home point on take off and shows it on the map. So I would assume the other features would work as well. But I'm not exactly sure all functions are compatible with android. I want to say that I've read some only work with apple but don't quote me on that. You would have to do a little research and digging.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

All functions work with android the same as IOS. Also worth trying the Litchi app and Litchi leash for some cool added features.

Reactions: heyjack19
Not at home so can't get a pic but for a mounting option that doesn't require drilling I used a small gopro stick on mount for the controller then any other parts you need to get the articulation and height you desire and another sticky mount for the bottom of a tablet case, clamp or whatever you want to use to hold the tablet. Works great for me and since I had a ton of gopro mount parts laying around was able to put it together without purchasing it online, waiting for shipment to Hawaii etc.

I went ahead and purchased an Nvidia Shield K1 and it works exactly like it should. Upgraded to 6.0.1 then loaded the DJI Go app, and it connected quickly. GPS is "Location" function just like the Galaxy phones, as you would expect, and found itself faster than the Galaxy 7S. Its all good. Screen resolution is outstanding.

Reactions: Drone_King
Congrats :)

The more I fly with it the happier I am with the purchase. If you haven't already pick up an anti-glare screen protector. I put one on recently and it's made a massive difference in being able to see the screen on sunny days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31