Nvidia Shield k1 Compass

Reaction score
Love my Shield to bits, apart from the incredibly flakey compass. I'm running with 5.1 lollipop which doesn't make the compass completely non functional like 6.0 does. However, the compass is unbelievably skittish which is a major annoyance. Apparently the reason for this is that the K1 has bloody great magnets hidden away in the case for their proprietary magnetic cover. These magnets are not shielded (you can stick the shield to a fridge!).
Might have to live with it, but don't suppose anyone has a solution?

Love my Shield to bits, apart from the incredibly flakey compass. I'm running with 5.1 lollipop which doesn't make the compass completely non functional like 6.0 does. However, the compass is unbelievably skittish which is a major annoyance. Apparently the reason for this is that the K1 has bloody great magnets hidden away in the case for their proprietary magnetic cover. These magnets are not shielded (you can stick the shield to a fridge!).
Might have to live with it, but don't suppose anyone has a solution?
I have the Shield and an iPad mini which both have magnets for their covers. I also have a Hoodi sun shield with magnets for attaching to the tablet/pad. I keep the magnets away from the Phantom, and have never had a Compass issue though they share the same case or backpack.

I have noticed the compass on the P3 is more sensitive than the P2, but I don't think it has anything to do with the tablet/pad.

I have the Shield and an iPad mini which both have magnets for their covers. I also have a Hoodi sun shield with magnets for attaching to the tablet/pad. I keep the magnets away from the Phantom, and have never had a Compass issue though they share the same case or backpack.

I have noticed the compass on the P3 is more sensitive than the P2, but I don't think it has anything to do with the tablet/pad.
Sorry, I wasn't being clear on my op. What I meant was the compass in the Shield itself, which affects the radar/map on Litchi or Go.

My shield has always pointed me in the right direction. Granted I havn't had it very long but the radar has always been correct.

Got my Nvidia Shield today.
Wrong thingie. I should have ordered the Shield K1. Now I haft'a mail it back to them!
Bummer

Try rotating the unit 180 degree. I.E. power switch is facing down or towards you.
If the power switch is facing up, it is very sensitive and only works when it is 100% level. ( which does not work for flying when it is at an angle)
I always use Compass 360 PRO to confirm this before I fly. This app also give you magnetic flux and leveling all at the same time.

My shield has always pointed me in the right direction. Granted I havn't had it very long but the radar has always been correct.
Actually today I was trying out a couple of different barometer and GPS apps from the Store and noticed that the Shield compass was right on compared to my Note 4 near the same place. I also thought the Shield was causing the Note 4 to be off so separated them about 25' and the Note 4 was still off. FYI I did find out there was no barometer in the Shield. I didn't think so but one of the apps confirmed it. Not only was the compass off but the GPS was quite a ways off between the two devices.

Ordered an Nvidia Shield. It's a gaming thingie to hook up to your TV.
Should have ordered an Nvidia Shield K1 which is the tablet screen.
Now more waiting. :(
Life is tough, and tougher when you're dumb.

Oh, yea, forgot about that thing.

nVidia Shield Console
nVidia Shield Tablet
nVidia Shield K1 Tablet

nVidia wasn't thinking this through.

Ordered an Nvidia Shield. It's a gaming thingie to hook up to your TV.
Should have ordered an Nvidia Shield K1 which is the tablet screen.
Now more waiting. :(
Life is tough, and tougher when you're dumb.
I almost did the same thing, thought man this one comes with a controller and HDMI cable for only $10 more. Then realized there was no screen on it. LOL Mine is coming tomorrow, can't wait.

NOW I understand I need to come up with a Micro USB cable so I can charge the battery. I've read that everyone has a ton of them laying around. Crap. Does someone have an extra one I can buy from ya? I don't know about these things, & an internet search shows lots of different ones. It would be great to get the right one. :)

NOW I understand I need to come up with a Micro USB cable so I can charge the battery. I've read that everyone has a ton of them laying around. Crap. Does someone have an extra one I can buy from ya? I don't know about these things, & an internet search shows lots of different ones. It would be great to get the right one. :)

Its a standard micro-USB cable. Your Shield will come fully (or at least nearly full) charged. When you get it you can eyeball the connecter and you will see its probably the same one thats on your phone (unless your phone has that USB3 double plug that is). A 2a charger is cheap at walmart, target, best buy, walgreens, etc. Nothing special about it. Odds are buying a charging cable over the net will cost more than just popping into a store and getting the whole charger.

And, btw, the cable that came with your Phantom, well its the right cable too. Just real short :) So, you have one if you can suffer the short length.

same cable /plug / charger that all android phones have used the last many years.
most likely if someone has bought a new phone you have extras, but they are cheep and can be bought anywhere

you can even use the usb cable that came with the phantom and charge off a pc or adapter.

OP already running 5.1

No it is not.

I am running latest android 6 and all shield updates.

COMPASS is FINE........

what ever issue has been corrected, also battery life has been extended as well as memory management in the latest updates.
you are missing some of the best benifits of the shield by not getting current.

No compass issues. What battery life are you getting because mine seems fine. I can go all day without charging. A little shorter life than my Asus Transformer but the Shield has a way faster CPU so I would expect that.

I am running 5.x. Not putting down your 6.x. I simply haven't seen a necessity to upgrade.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik