Nvidia Shield K1 app crash

Reaction score
Howdy, all...
After reading up on pads for my p4, I decided on a Nvidia shield k1. It seems really nice, so I ordered it and a polar pro tablet visor. I love the idea of pulling the SD card out of the AC and watching on the pad. No need to break out the PC and wait for the next round of windows 10 updates that dramatically slow your system down until it's essentially a brick. I want to watch my videos now, dammit.
After unboxing, I promptly threw the instructions aside, charged and updated the pad, before running outside to play with my new toys.
My pre flight checks were more thorough than usual, but I missed one thing. The geo system warning didn't show up. I didn't notice, and I lifted off to test all control functions and watch the data. Everything responded nicely, so I proceeded to 50 ft altitude and watched the telemetry a little more than usual.
Being my first time in the air with a pad, I was amazed at my sudden ability to go solely on fps. I must have gotten carried away, because I was beyond LOS before I realized it, but only 1600 feet away. Needless to say, the pad black screened. I quickly looked up and I couldn't find the AC... Oh crap..
I watched all the YouTube videos, so I knew the green light meant I still had her under control, even though my pad was dead. A mashed RTH button called it back, but I'm not too happy about this at all.
I checked the developer options to make sure USB debugging was off, but I still had a close call. How could this happen? I researched this until I was sure I picked the right pad. It shouldn't have fell on its face for the maiden flight, right? I don't want to back to phone flying. Did I miss something? I couldn't find any prep for a k1 anywhere online..

Sent from my XT1254 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Using the previous version of the shield tablet and I'm trying to decide if I should stick with it or get an ipad mini 2 or newer.

Following

Reactions: aermale
Thought perhaps you were using the Litchi. I'm also using the Shield K1, had it for about a month now and loving it. Just updated to the newest version of Litchi and it started crashing right from the go after the previous version worked great for 3 weeks, thought perhaps that was your problem as well. Not sure what to tell you since you are using the DJI version.

Another cool feature of the shield is that it has the HDMI out so you can plug a cable directly from it to goggles bypassing that 100 dollar add on module to your controller....love flying with the goggles.

Reactions: puredata
Another plus of the android (or only shield I'm not sure since it's my first proper android device) is the ability to auto start the DJI GO app whenever RC is connected through USB

Still looking for the best performance. I hope with the introduction of P4P+ Android app will get better

I feel like bots run this forum and I just got sold a pad by them. These responses don't even make sense.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using PhantomPilots mobile app

If you're referring to my response I don't get what is not making sense?

I can't fly my drone at the moment, I don't know if it's freaking android problems a defective unit or what.

I have posted on the forums no response. I guess I'l just bring the device back to Bestbuy.

Let's wait for the Mavic. DJI seems like they are completely focused on Mavic and P4P

If you just bought the device I'd bring it back and get an ipad mini. seems like ios app is working more stable.

I read over on the "other" forum (DJI) others have reported the latest DJI app does not work with the K1. You will need to downgrade to the 3.0 version (or lower) of the DJI Go App.

I don't have first hand experience with the issue/resolution but it seems others are reporting the same issue.

Reactions: Turbomania
I feel like bots run this forum and I just got sold a pad by them. These responses don't even make sense.

Won't get much help being a douche here !!
Install DJI Go, Not DJI GO 4

Turbo Bot

I asked for help on why the highly recommended pad on this and other forums would immediately fail and you guys start rattling off about cool features... I already bought the **** thing. It's crap. So, the great advice...Keep it.

Sent from my XT1254 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Take a deep breath or burn one and install an older Go app. These K1's don't like the new DJI go4. Mine is fine on 3.1.1, You can get that at the Play store. Older version APK's can be side loaded.
I just switched and went thru what you described. It fixed mine.
Feel your pain, new device, locked up, mid flight, wtf :O

Sorry if I'm hijacking but since it's related I wanted to post here as well.

I got a new tablet from NVIDIA through the replacement program and I'm looking to sell or trade it with an iPad. iPad can be used as long as it comes with the original screen and in working condition. NVIDIA is brand new unopened box.

I read over on the "other" forum (DJI) others have reported the latest DJI app does not work with the K1. You will need to downgrade to the 3.0 version (or lower) of the DJI Go App.

I don't have first hand experience with the issue/resolution but it seems others are reporting the same issue.
I am primarily using the K1 (Android 6.0) with my P4. I currently have installed,
Litchi
DJI GO
DJI GO 4.0.1
I have used all 3 apps on my Nvidia Shield K1 and have had no issues or "crashes". I have read other reports in many threads with issues being reported but I have yet to experience any myself.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Turbomania
I'm sorry. I did get a bit pissed. After rereading , they're only trying to help.
However, Ppl on theses forums should immediately stop recommending the nvidia shield k1 as a tablet for flying phantoms. Its not on dji list of compatible devices. According to DJI Ken on the other forums, there must be a conflict with it or it would be on the list. Its too capable not to be included, but there must be a conflict. I could have lost my phantom over this pad, and I'd hate to see anyone lose their bird. Dji won't cover your loss on a non listed device.
You're absolutely right, though. Deep breaths. Relax. It just really sucks to be looking at a $1,200 paperweight, until I get an iPad.

Its worth noting that I turned local caching off and had no problems in my low alt , backyard testing. Maybe it'll work right, but I can't risk losing her to an unsupported device

I am primarily using the K1 (Android 6.0) with my P4. I currently have installed,
Litchi
DJI GO
DJI GO 4.0.1
I have used all 3 apps on my Nvidia Shield K1 and have had no issues or "crashes". I have read other reports in many threads with issues being reported but I have yet to experience any myself.

I would like to clarify, personally, I am not 'recommending' the K1 tablet. As mentioned, it is not on the list of supported (Android) devices. I have always used Android devices for my phone's/tablets etc.. I would not be opposed to using an iPad for my drone usage but have yet had (knock on wood) any issues with my Android devices. My feeling is that I will eventually break down and purchase an iPad solely for litchi and DJI GO/4.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers