Nvidia Shield k1 android 6.0 compass issue

Download Field Compass from google play. Turn it off and reboot. Click on Field Compass and wave the tablet about a bit. That usually works for me.
There is an inherent problem with the Shield K1. It seems to be very sensitive to magnetic interference. My theory is that it's something to do with shielding or lack of on the speakers. Once you get used to having to calibrate it all the time it's fine though.
Thank you I'm too having problems with my compass tried this step works perfectly.

Reactions: Wacker2611
FWIW Litchi 2.3.1 or earlier is also not guaranteed to work with Marshmallow. So another reason to stay at Lollipop.
Some luck regarding the compass issue on 6.0, from Nvidia: "Your case is being escalated to our Level 2 Tech Support group. The Level 2 agents will review the case notes and may attempt to recreate your issue or find a workaround solution if possible. As this process may take some time we ask that you be patient and a Level 2 tech will contact you as soon they can to help resolve your issue."

Reactions: Wacker2611
Nice one Fredz thanks for the info. I'm already sick of the constant OTA reminders, and I haven't even flown for 2 weeks!

For the record, I used Litchi yesterday for some flying and played around with the orbit and panorama modes. I didn't have any issues at all. My Shield K1 is running Marshmallow and I'm using a P3P with the latest firmware.

For the record, I used Litchi yesterday for some flying and played around with the orbit and panorama modes. I didn't have any issues at all. My Shield K1 is running Marshmallow and I'm using a P3P with the latest firmware.
Please read my post carefully. I'm talking about Litchi version 2.3.1 and earlier - an old version. Those who use it, know why they want it ;-)

Please read my post carefully. I'm talking about Litchi version 2.3.1 and earlier - an old version. Those who use it, know why they want it ;-)
My apologies. Thank you for pointing that out. I'm still new to this and was getting concerned that I should be worried. I'll be more thorough when reading previous posts before responding in the future.

I opened a case with nVidia since I want this fixed in Android 6.0. If you want to bug them and also request a fix, the reference number is 160104-000566. The workaround they gave me is same one already posted here using the Field Compass app.

So if I understand this correctly is that if you have Marshmallow and install the field compass you have to calibrate it everytime you want to use it? Is that what I understand? But if you stay, or rollback to Lollipop the compass works fine? Any ETA on a fix from this from NVIDIA?

So if I understand this correctly is that if you have Marshmallow and install the field compass you have to calibrate it everytime you want to use it? Is that what I understand? But if you stay, or rollback to Lollipop the compass works fine? Any ETA on a fix from this from NVIDIA?
Yes, you pretty much have to reboot the tablet and calibrate with Field Compass. It you stay on Lollipop everything is fine. No ETA from nVidia on the fix.

Reactions: shorttimer
I'm bummed to hear about this issue, but glad you guys are on the ball. I would have done the Marshmallow update immediately upon receiving my Shield.
In fact, I still might, and just take the risk. From what I'm reading, everything works ok after the update, except the compass doesn't display the correct Phantom orientation unless you do the workaround with the 3rd party app, right?

I'm bummed to hear about this issue, but glad you guys are on the ball. I would have done the Marshmallow update immediately upon receiving my Shield.
In fact, I still might, and just take the risk. From what I'm reading, everything works ok after the update, except the compass doesn't display the correct Phantom orientation unless you do the workaround with the 3rd party app, right?
Elmojo,

Like you, I also have a K1 Shield. Not knowing anything about Android (I use a Windows Phone) I updated to 6.0, Marshmallow. I read the compass got messed up in that update so I installed the "Field Compass" app, which is free, from the Google Play store.My P3 orientation and everything is perfect now on the Shield.

Do you have to repeat the compass calibration before every flight, as mentioned by others?

I just don't think there's any reason to upgrade to 6.0. I did initially, and found that the compass didn't work, and the battery drain was ridiculous. Field Compass does work to some extent but I guarantee that you will get frustrated in the end as its still flakey. So I downgraded to lollipop and all is well. Put simply, there is just no good reason to go to marshmallow as it brings nothing and takes away too much. They've now withdrawn the 'update to the update' as that doesn't work either.See this thread:
https://forums.geforce.com/default/...1-ota-1-1-feedback-thread-released-02-01-16-/

They've actually deleted the original thread as there were so many complaints.

Also, make absolutely sure that you don't put your shield on anything magnetic (on top of the fridge, microwave etc etc) as that will mess up your compass semi permanently and you will have to factory reset. Reason being is that it has 2 massive magnets in the case itself to accept nvidia's official case/cover.

I downgraded back to 5.1.1 just now, and the compass calibration problem is gone. The compass works fine, out of the box, and I don't have to recalibrate at all. To me, this is a 6.0 issue, but Nvidia support doesn't acknowledge it (yet?)...
Under 6.0, the compass would only move 10-20 degrees, even if I turned the tablet 180°.
Hey can you tell me how to downgrade back to lollipop . I'm having the same issues with my compass. Thank you

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie