NVIDIA SHIELD K 1

Update - okay when I powered up the K1 this morning, it prompted me to do some kind of K1 v 1.4 update, so I agreed to do it and it then downloaded. I installed it. It installed. It rebooted. When it was back up, I tested the compass and it was not working at all.

So I calibrated the compass. It was easier this time since I had done it just yesterday. Took all of 30 secs. When I was done, the compass worked absolutely perfectly, spot on.

Still not sure if I'll need to do this calibration thing every time since the K1 was updated this time. If I did have to do it every time, I can see how it would be an inconvenience since many of us keep our tablet in a sun shader which is then attached to the controller.

Also, I still need to test this while flying.

Will advise.

Another new Nvidia shield k1 owner here. Some quick questions:
1 Where is the radar display? I'm not seeing it at all.
2 All I can get is the standard google map, no satellite view, despite selecting it from the layers icon. Both while flying and on review.
3 My standard map has aisian writing as well as some english.
4 When watching the replay, there is no before or after flight path trace. Well there is briefly when zooming the map, but then it goes away.
Thanks in advance for any insight

Another new Nvidia shield k1 owner here. Some quick questions:
1 Where is the radar display? I'm not seeing it at all.
2 All I can get is the standard google map, no satellite view, despite selecting it from the layers icon. Both while flying and on review.
3 My standard map has aisian writing as well as some english.
4 When watching the replay, there is no before or after flight path trace. Well there is briefly when zooming the map, but then it goes away.
Thanks in advance for any insight

all that is the GO app.

I would completely remove it and start over and reinstall GO.

see what that does

Update - okay when I powered up the K1 this morning, it prompted me to do some kind of K1 v 1.4 update, so I agreed to do it and it then downloaded. I installed it. It installed. It rebooted. When it was back up, I tested the compass and it was not working at all.

So I calibrated the compass. It was easier this time since I had done it just yesterday. Took all of 30 secs. When I was done, the compass worked absolutely perfectly, spot on.

Still not sure if I'll need to do this calibration thing every time since the K1 was updated this time. If I did have to do it every time, I can see how it would be an inconvenience since many of us keep our tablet in a sun shader which is then attached to the controller.

Also, I still need to test this while flying.

Will advise.

TRY "360 field compass" works well,

also you can do the calibate if needed without removing it.
just do the figure 8 with the whole thing,
if you notice it is basicly same as phantom compass cal.
360 spin figure 8 etc.

Last edited:
Thanks again for the help.
Reinstalling dji go seems to have fixed several items. The traces are working and maps have all english.
I found the radar hiding under the mini map on the left lower corner of the screen. My samsung tablet has the map in the right corner and radar on the left. Seems like I saw an option for moving the map location but I forgot where. I'm starting to like the shield better now that I'm finding my way around it.

Update -

Powered my K1 up this morning. Checked compass app. It was absolutely perfect.

Flight test is next...

Does anybody have an experience using the "app optimization" feature found in settings? Did you do anything to try to optimize your flight app? Thanks

I just tested the compass app again from a fresh boot. It was about 10 degrees off at first, but I spun myself around once and then it was perfect. No calibration needed.

Then I tested the Litchi app with no AC or contoller on. The red triangle, lower left, pointed north just about perfectly (maybe off by 5 degrees) regardless of which was I was facing.

your correct...You have to go right to the compass app after powering up and calibrate is the only way it works for a little while... Even then mine is off a few degrees...Don't move to fast and hold the tab just right or you lose it...Don't count on it working for long and be prepared to re-calibrate after every power up...I'm much too lazy and impatient for this...Or maybe you get lucky and fastfed and I are the only ones with the 4 bad compasses...For those that like to fly distances and still be able to tell if your pointing at the bird this tablet is not for them unless they like adding compass calibrations to the list of getting ready to fly...I use to test the compass by going to the "maps" App and unlocking the screen and seeing where it was pointing in reference to the street...Like I said earlier mine is very sporadic....

Bingo.. Again, I don't think people realize that its not working right. They open a compass app and move around and think, yep its perfect. Not realizing compared to a real compass its way off and sporadic.
But as you stated ":.For those that like to fly distances and still be able to tell if your pointing at the bird this tablet is not for them"

is true

Reactions: chazz
I don't have cellular.

Anyway, I tested it Friday. Did not calibrate anything. Compass in the Litchi app was off 90 degrees.

Tested Saturday. Nothing calibrated. Worked perfectly entire flight.

Tested this morning. Nothing calibrated. Completely off. Not even close.

The Shield? You're asking where the Shield K1 gets the video and telemetery signal from? It gets it from my controller which in turn gets it from my AC. You don't need a cell signal to fly.

If you're asking about the maps and where they come from, they are cached in advance via wifi from the router in my house.

If you're asking about the compass inside the Shield K1, the Compass app and the compass within the flight app do not require a cell signal to work. It works all by itself because the K1 has a magnet sensor which gives it that ability. That's what everybody is complaining about - they are saying the magnets on the back and on top of the K1 which are meant to adhere the cover accessory are interfering with those sensors and disabling the compass.

Last edited:
I ordered one on Wednesday and got it Friday. Will fly this week and see how it does.

The Shield? You're asking where the Shield K1 gets the video and telemetery signal from? It gets it from my controller which in turn gets it from my AC. You don't need a cell signal to fly.

If you're asking about the maps and where they come from, they are cached in advance via wifi from the router in my house.

If you're asking about the compass inside the Shield K1, the Compass app and the compass within the flight app do not require a cell signal to work. It works all by itself because the K1 has a magnet sensor which gives it that ability. That's what everybody is complaining about - they are saying the magnets on the back and on top of the K1 which are meant to adhere the cover accessory are interfering with those sensors and disabling the compass.

Thank you so much for this info.
[emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

So I bought one too, and my compass is not perfect so far. But, my biggest issue is screen lag and pixel bands! I flew in a remote area, no wifi, not even cellular signals. My iphone6 was perfect, but the K1 had constant pixel bands.

I turned airplane mode on, I optimized dji go, but my streaming video is terrible and I have a one-two second lag.

Any suggestions? I have hardware decoding on my iphone. Is there a similar option in the K1?

Last edited:
So I bought one too, and my compass is not perfect so far. But, my biggest issue is screen lag and pixel bands! I flew in a remote area, no wifi, not even cellular signals. My iphone6 was perfect, but the K1 had constant pixel bands.

I turned airplane mode on, I optimized dji go, but my streaming video is terrible and I have a one-two second lag.

Any suggestions? I have hardware decoding on my iphone. Is there a similar option in the K1?

That is wierd. K1 is updated to latest FW versions?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie