NVIDIA SHIELD K 1

I think the original had an exploding battery problem. But yeah, this K1 is a new improved tablet and everybody seems to love them. I ordered mine Thursday morning.

Listen to Kirk - he's a little abrupt but he knows his stuff. He's helped me out in the past...

Last edited:
did you update yesterday?

Just did and still not working...

Ya know, to be fair, I really don't know if its this compass that's not working or if its every other compass I ever looked at and the magnetic field of the earth is changing...I really don't know...

There are magnets on the back of the K1, so you can stick it on your fridge.
Not a very useful feature, so is there a way to get the magnets out without destroying the K1?

first,
is it updated to latest android and shield version?

second try to use 360 compass app to set compass

also you say "original"

that is not the K1 if so, similar but not..

lol yea it has nothing to do with the calibration. The magnets in there designed for the folio cover is what ruins these things.
This is my second brand new tablet, including my first used tablet and they all suck!!

I bought a used original shield tablet from someone locally, its the one with the stylus, which I love.. Compass is extremely inaccurate and not even close to good enough to use as a guide on where to aim your antenna.

Got a brand new one because of the recall, new one didn't work, also had another issue with it, they sent me another one the other day, that one doesn't work!

they screwed up and made the shield wrong! its about the magnet

There are magnets on the back of the K1, so you can stick it on your fridge.
Not a very useful feature, so is there a way to get the magnets out without destroying the K1?

EXACTLY!!!

Its really annoying that they made such a great tablet and the one feature I really wanted to work doesn't.

for those people that don't go long distances, you don't need the compass and IMO the shield is still the BEST tablet out there!! blows anyting away IMO!! its a powerhouse tablet that is fast and has unreal screen resolution/colors.

It is after all made by the best video card manufacturer

if I take my already inaccurate shield with field compass or any other compass app and walk near metal it gets even worse!

Do a search on google, I've yet to see anyone not have an issue with the compass and the nvidia shield tablet.

Thing is , 99% of people dont need a compass

Well, the issue was the effect of the magnets attached to the Shield, which as indicated by the link their effect is taken into account via calibration of the magnetometers through post processing.

If you compare any Android tablet/phones's compass app with an app running on the Shield, you will find that there is little difference. Maybe 1-2 degrees difference between the Shield and another Android device. There are only a few sources for low latency magnetometers, most tablet/phone manufacturers use the same devices. Even with my iPhone's compass app, the Nvidia is within a degree of the iPhone.

Depending on the mass of the metal object, it will affect any compass.

You state that you have yet to "see" anyone that does not have an issue with the Nividia Shield's compass performance? And you come to that conclusion through Google? You realize that the statement means absolutely nothing statistically. Millions that have no issue with the compass, just don't come up on Google.

Last edited:
What does one use the compass on the K1 for? Does it effect the line in the app to follow back to the home point? Or does it just effect the little digital compass in the corner of the app?

What does one use the compass on the K1 for? Does it effect the line in the app to follow back to the home point? Or does it just effect the little digital compass in the corner of the app?
The line back to home is taken care of using the Phantom's compass and the recorded home point.
When the tablet compass isn't right, the app doesn't know which way you are facing to be able to display things properly in the radar display.
When everything is right, the radar shows you where the Phantom is and what way it's facing.

Reactions: kirk2579
Well, the issue was the effect of the magnetics attached to the Shield, which as indicated by the link their effect are taken into account via calibration of the magnetometers through post processing.

If you compare any Android tablet/phones's compass app with an app running on the Shield, the you will find that there is little difference. Maybe 1-2 degrees difference between the Shield and another Android device. There are only a few sources for low latency magnetometers, most tablet/phone manufacturers use the same devices. Even with my iPhone's compass app, the Nvidia is within a degree of the iPhone.

Depending on the mass of the metal object, it will affect any compass.

You state that you have yet to "see" anyone that does not have an issue with the Nividia Shield's compass performance? And you come to that conclusion through Google? You realize that the statement means absolutely nothing statistically. Millions that have no issue with the compass, just don't come up on Google.

well, first off not even close to a million were sold, but I've had 3 of them now and all 3 the compass is not accurate at all and will vary results widely (not degrees but entire directions)

If people here are saying they work, then they have ones that work, I've read countless reports from people who've gotten these tablets for the compass and had to choose a different model because they simply won't work right. That with my 3, led me to believe most suffer from this. Also, 99% of people if not more don't ever even use a compass, I mean besides the one feature for us. It's really not needed.

Reactions: pomonabill220
The line back to home is taken care of using the Phantom's compass and the recorded home point.
When the tablet compass isn't right, the app doesn't know which way you are facing to be able to display things properly in the radar display.
When everything is right, the radar shows you where the Phantom is and what way it's facing.

Just to add that radar will show where Phantom is and which way it is facing regardless of tablet compass. Only thing affected with bad tablet compass would be your (operator) heading which is by default locked to north on radar. When you unlock it then you should be able to rotate map when turning your tablet. Useful for long flights when you want your antennas pointed perfectly to your AC.

Sidenote: If you order from the nvidia site, they may not send you an email that it was shipped even though they say they will.

I tested mine out Saturday and the compass worked perfectly for ensuring I was facing the drone whether it was within 50 yards at 20 ft. altitude or 200 yards away at 300 ft. up. I've only had mine a few weeks so it is newer production, maybe they ironed out some of the kinks.

Reactions: Mark The Droner
I tested mine out Saturday and the compass worked perfectly for ensuring I was facing the drone whether it was within 50 yards at 20 ft. altitude or 200 yards away at 300 ft. up. I've only had mine a few weeks so it is newer production, maybe they ironed out some of the kinks.

this is what I'm thinking. The K1 series its hit or miss, on XDA forums there are many that say it works but just as many saying otherwise.

Please note, if you don't have a real compass, or a new phone with a GPS on it, you might not know if the Shields compass is working or not. Mine looks like its working if you don't know your direction, but its way off when comparing with my note 7

I just got my K1 a couple hours ago. It arrived with about 50% battery.

Loaded Litchi and the compass wasn't working quite right (obviously, we know we need to hold our device flat for the compass to have a chance to work correctly - just like a real compass).

Then I installed a compass app from Google Play. It was compass pro or something like that. 4.5 starts. It was horrible. It didn't work at all.

Then I installed this compass: Compass - Android Apps on Google Play

Also 4.5 stars. It also didn't work quite right but it was better than the first one. Then a calibration screen popped up. So I calibrated it as they said (kind of like calibrating your Phantom except you spin it on 3 axis instead of 2). I had to flip it horizonally, vertically, and spin it. It also has a tool - a little magnetic interference meter - so you can try to put yourself in the best place to minimize magnetic interference.

So after calibrating, it STILL didn't work right. But the app told me if it didn't work right, to reboot the device and try again.

So with very little confidence, I rebooted the K1, reloaded COMPASS and redid the calibration.

It worked! And it was perfect.

Then I brought up Litchi, and it works!

I'll test it further tomorrow.

I just got my K1 a couple hours ago. It arrived with about 50% battery.

Loaded Litchi and the compass wasn't working quite right (obviously, we know we need to hold our device flat for the compass to have a chance to work correctly - just like a real compass).

Then I installed a compass app from Google Play. It was compass pro or something like that. 4.5 starts. It was horrible. It didn't work at all.

Then I installed this compass: Compass - Android Apps on Google Play

Also 4.5 stars. It also didn't work quite right but it was better than the first one. Then a calibration screen popped up. So I calibrated it as they said (kind of like calibrating your Phantom except you spin it on 3 axis instead of 2). I had to flip it horizonally, vertically, and spin it. It also has a tool - a little magnetic interference meter - so you can try to put yourself in the best place to minimize magnetic interference.

So after calibrating, it STILL didn't work right. But the app told me if it didn't work right, to reboot the device and try again.

So with very little confidence, I rebooted the K1, reloaded COMPASS and redid the calibration.

It worked! And it was perfect.

Then I brought up Litchi, and it works!

I'll test it further tomorrow.

your correct...You have to go right to the compass app after powering up and calibrate is the only way it works for a little while... Even then mine is off a few degrees...Don't move to fast and hold the tab just right or you lose it...Don't count on it working for long and be prepared to re-calibrate after every power up...I'm much too lazy and impatient for this...Or maybe you get lucky and fastfed and I are the only ones with the 4 bad compasses...For those that like to fly distances and still be able to tell if your pointing at the bird this tablet is not for them unless they like adding compass calibrations to the list of getting ready to fly...I use to test the compass by going to the "maps" App and unlocking the screen and seeing where it was pointing in reference to the street...Like I said earlier mine is very sporadic....

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20