Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Number of charge cycles-Problem

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by Karatekid1800, Dec 3, 2015.

1. Karatekid1800

Hi, it has been 2 days since I received my P3P, I am in the middle of the break in process of the battery, so far charged it from 50% to 100% two times. The problem is, when I am entering the battery status menu on the DJI go app it's indicating that the "times charged" is 0, like if I had never charged the battery. Am I doing something wrong? Is it possible that the battery has defect?

Thanks

2. msinger

Approved Vendor

There is no break in process for DJI batteries.

3. Karatekid1800

Thanks, but It wasn't part of my question.

4. msinger

Approved Vendor

I'm assuming the counter is not being incremented properly since you're using the batteries in a way they were not designed to be used. Try running them down to about 30% and recharge them at that point.

Karatekid1800 likes this.
  5. Karatekid1800

Any other thoughts? Has anybody else had this problem before?

6. bartold

A charge cycle is no necessarily every time you put it on the charger. For example. If you let it drain to 70% and charge it 3 times you still do not have a charge cycle since you only used 30% 3 times for 90% of a charge cycle.

7. Karatekid1800

Thanks for the explanation.

8. msinger

Approved Vendor

If this theory is true, shouldn't the OP's counter be at 1 right now?

9. bartold

If it was exactly 50% each time. I would think that after the next charge cycle it should show 1.

10. Mark The Droner

Can you expound on this? Because this is contrary to what Drone Camp RC claims is best. Justin Davis talks about breaking in a LiPo battery starting at the 4 min mark and he's holding a DJI battery while he explains. Thanks

11. Karatekid1800

The first charge was right out of the box, 2 leds were on, the second charge started at 49%. I am chrging it right now for thr third time. It should show 1 cycle if that theory is correct. I will update soon

12. dirtybum

Dronecamps is one company with plenty of experience and plenty of opinions, i wouldn't follow their opinions more than i would follow my own experiences or others with real world experience. If the DJI manual strongly suggested a break in process then go ahead . I personally never broke in my many batteries and they have hundreds of cycles altogether. No probs or depleted flight time yet

13. dirtybum

As far as the counter goes, run it down to 30% as suggested above, charge it then if u dont get a count start askin why. You r not goin to damage the bat IMO

14. Karatekid1800

I am waiting for the battery to finish its third charge, theoretically It should show 1 cycle, but if not, I will try this method.

15. Karatekid1800

I have just finished the third flight of the break in, the battery information shows 1 cycle :), the theory is right. Thanks to everyone who helped .

16. AlexSP

I turned on the battery voltage indicator on the GO app and don´t ever run bellow 3.4/3.3V. Every 20 cycles (I live in warm climate) I do a full discharge/charge to calibrate memory and that´s all. Hundreds of cycles and my batteries are OK.

As for break-in, I´d follow DJIs recomendations but without being overly a**l. Just relax and fly up until 30%, but never bellow 20% and keep an eye on voltage don´t let it drop bellow 3.3V, then charge it up again and on and on. I also like to check power on HealthyDrones.com those guys do a really good job.

LiPos are extremelly tough, flexible and easy to use, there´s no need to stress out too much. I´ve always had the same procedures with all my LiPos without any problems.

17. Dome

On the forum there are so many thread about batteries ....

Anyway break-in process is now done at most during cells manufacturing/testing/qualifying process. So no need to do by yourself on new batt. I do some discharge to no more than 50% before full use of the battery, just to be sure it can support high-current drain the motors need. If it doesn't fail in the first, say, 5 flight, it can be used safetly.
    I'm in contact with DJI techs, becouse battery firmware has some glitch about cell #1.