null

What building allows for opening a window 30 stories up?

-Bob

Yeah, this. Are you in an apartment block or something?

I would be really careful assuming you're going to have calm wind at that level; wind can do some crazy things around buildings. Is it the only one around or are you in the middle of a group?

the hobby doesnt need more wreckless events .......

Hmmmmm..... I would have thought wreckless events are the good ones....?

:rolleyes:

That Space Needle video was shot nearly 2.5 years go. Anyone notice the overwhelmingly friendly demeanor of those on the observation deck? They took photos/videos, waved, smiled, etc. No one tried to knock it down, flip it the bird, etc.

I bet if someone attempted the same thing today, the majority of the people up there would object in some form.

I don't think the pilot of that drone, or the actions he took did ANYTHING to increase regulations. On the contrary - those people probably went home and started researching what it was they saw, and bought their own.

Reactions: acherman
That Space Needle video was shot nearly 2.5 years go. Anyone notice the overwhelmingly friendly demeanor of those on the observation deck? They took photos/videos, waved, smiled, etc. No one tried to knock it down, flip it the bird, etc.

I bet if someone attempted the same thing today, the majority of the people up there would object in some form.

I don't think the pilot of that drone, or the actions he took did ANYTHING to increase regulations. On the contrary - those people probably went home and started researching what it was they saw, and bought their own.

I believe he flew from the Hotel Maxwell on Roy Street in Seattle.

You couldn't make that same flight today. My friend at the needle tells me the needle is working on a NFZ there. Anyone from Seattle knows that the Needle is in the flight path to Lake Union!

The needle hates the drones flying around it. He told me they were working on a way to prevent them from filming their guests.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I believe he flew from the Hotel Maxwell on Roy Street in Seattle.

You couldn't make that same flight today. My friend at the needle tells me the needle is working on a NFZ there. Anyone from Seattle knows that the Needle is in the flight path to Lake Union!

The needle hates the drones flying around it. He told me they were working on a way to prevent them from filming their guests.

Couple of things:

The needle is 605 ft (184 m) high, so if you take off from the ground anywhere near and stay under the FAA 400ft, you won't get the top in the picture. You need to take off from a distance to get it all in the frame and fly by the rules.

To get as close as in the video, you have to take off from a higher spot, top of a hotel as you suggest, or from a (not naming names) park on the top of certain nearby hill. But you still shouldn't get that close (I haven't). EDIT: or just ignore the FAA height limit regardless of where your HP is.

I've flown from within the Seattle Center (the Space Needle sits on those grounds) on more than one occasion and the most talk I received from an employee is that I was fine as long as I didn't get 'close to the needle'. He may not have been representing the management of the needle though, which is a private entity.

Yeah, there are quite a few air harbors around that area, but those planes aren't getting near the needle either. Helicopters fly closer, but still not very close. (The nearest helipad doesn't operate anymore due to a fatal crash onto city streets just a few years back.)

Last edited:
People like u give drone pilots a bad reputation flying off the 30th floor put ur drone back in its case and think about !

Hi everyone, I'm planning to take-off my P3A from a window in 30th floor of a building, in the situation of low speed wind and GPS is on, is there any problem or anything that I need to consider before taking off?

Thanks
Easy! Just stick out your 100 ft X 30 ft wide diving board out the window! Other than that... wow, really no need. Tomorrow morning you'll be saying from jail, " why didn't I listen to all those guys on Phantom Pilots"? (of course, if you do, video please).

Hi everyone, I'm planning to take-off my P3A from a window in 30th floor of a building, in the situation of low speed wind and GPS is on, is there any problem or anything that I need to consider before taking off?

Thanks
Use a P4

Regarding that Space Needle video:

From the youtube page

Published on Jul 25, 2014
originally posted by Alex Klinghoffer https://www.youtube.com/user/AlexKlin...

Space Needle Aerial Footage
Set up: DJI Phantom 2 HD-3D Zenmuse Gimbal Go Pro 3+ Black Edition FPV- Video Transmitter, Black Pearl Monitor, Some antennas and...

headlines from the news:
Amazon Drone Buzzed by Seattle's Space Needle on Tuesday
Amazon worker piloted drone around Space Needle

Amazon worker flies drone near Space Needle, gets police visit
SlashGear
ABC News
USA TODAY
CBS Local
MyNorthwest.com
KERO-TV 23
eTurboNews
Mobile Marketing Watch
Q13 FOX
ValueWalk
Hometownlife.com
Auto World News
GeekWire

TheBlaze.com
In Seattle, unauthorized drone flight around Space Needle leads to no criminal ...
Kingston Daily Freeman
Video surfaces from drone that may have hit the Space Needle
KREM.com
Amazon worker piloted drone around Space Needle
The Seattle Times
A drone takes a spin around Seattle's Space Needle in this spectacular video
Quartz
Drone piloted by Amazon employee buzzes Space Needle
Los Angeles Times

Is this kind of notoriety good for the hobby?

Society will have to learn to live with drones. It´s that simple. They won´t go away, in fact quite the opposite: they´ll be everywhere. And they´ll get notoriety regardless of the myriad of awesome footage, or the few ugly/crazy ones. We can put out millions of incredible videos and still some ppl will be put off by drones and reject them. And vice-versa.

Just like it did with computers, then internet, then smartphones... Now, are we supposed to get rid of all this because a few are using available tech to sell guns and drugs, to promote pedophily, to scam and bully nice people? Am I supposed to stop using my smartphone because a few are catching fire or it is being used to spy on my activities? That kind of people exist regardless and will make bad use of whatever comes up.

Every time a new tech comes up it´s like that. People react, and differently. Bad publicity, good publicity... bad reaction, good reaction... no reaction. Despite all the horrible predictions that airplanes and copters would be crashing down left and right thanks to stupid pilots and their damned drones, we´re not seeing much of that. At least not yet. The PC patrol keeps turning negativity up and will keep doing so. Regulations come and go but life goes on and we´ll learn one way or another to live with drones. Mankind will survive lol :p

Reactions: dgd3

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20