Nubee need help

Reaction score
I saw some videos of a DJI phantom 2 about a week ago, wow!!

Im new to quads, please help with some questions.

I would use this to record jet boating and buggy adventures among other things, personal use. My kids and i would have a blast making movies.

Would the phanton 2 be my best bet?
Is the gimbal what stabilizes the camera and rotates the view? what is the best one?
Would a gopro here 2 work, or do I need the 3gopro hero 3, been thinking about buying a new one anyway.
I saw a video of someone wearing glasses and could see what he was recording, do you know what those glasses are, or whats the best option?

What do i need to get started, please talk to me in simple terms.

Thanks so much, Im super excited!!!

Maybe I can answer some of your questions,

Phantom 2 is preconfigured to take a 2 axis gimbal which is the cradle configuration that holds the camera and stabilizes the vibration of the quad to smooth out the visuals. I actually have the Phantom Vision 2 ( 1 axis gimbal ) with the camera as part of the setup.
If your looking for better quality video and stabilized footage the Phantom 2 is prepped to take a Zemuse gimbal and you'll need that gopro 3 in addition.
FPV viewing while in flight requires additional setup and expense Goggles (probably FATSHARK ) requires the installation of a transmitter connected to your go-pro which is usually installed on the external underside of the drone, but if your looking for cost effective setups check out the specs and videos available on YouTube before you commit.....Phantom vision 2 give you most of that but without the goggles using your iPhone or smart phone as the FPV device.

Hope that's of some help,

John

ninjamaster said:
I saw some videos of a DJI phantom 2 about a week ago, wow!!

Im new to quads, please help with some questions.

I would use this to record jet boating and buggy adventures among other things, personal use. My kids and i would have a blast making movies.

Would the phanton 2 be my best bet?
Is the gimbal what stabilizes the camera and rotates the view? what is the best one?
Would a gopro here 2 work, or do I need the 3gopro hero 3, been thinking about buying a new one anyway.
I saw a video of someone wearing glasses and could see what he was recording, do you know what those glasses are, or whats the best option?

What do i need to get started, please talk to me in simple terms.

Thanks so much, Im super excited!!!

do the research. find out what and who makes the best , (RTF - ready to fly) drone/uav that fits your lifestyle. none of them are waterproof. remember that when filming your boats.

yes the gimbal is what keeps the camera level. yes your gopro 2 hero will work. get a hero 3 anyway.

the glasses allow you to see what your camera is seeing, (FPV - first person view).

$700.00 - $800.00 American dollars will get you started. phantom 2, zenmuse gimbal.

drewtx said:
ninjamaster said:
Cool, I just ordered it, my company is paying for this so the money a concern.

Heres what I ordered

http://www.amazon.com/Dji-Phantom-Ready ... m+2+gimbal

Should I get any extra batteries, any other suggestions? this will be so fun to make videos with my kids!!!

yes. get extra batteries. one battery is 20-25 minutes. less when you start adding stuff.

Lol come on! We all use that " Kids will love it line!" When it's the Kid in us that loves it.... :D

Phantom 2 arrived today, I tried it in the house.....not a good first move, have a few mild crashes from low heights. I got my gimbo hooked up, for some reason it keeps trying to adjust and Im not hitting the control? its also getting really hot, is it defective? I checked for any firmware updates, Im all up to date. My new gopro comes Monday and I want to try this thing out. any help? The gimbo is hooked up but not camera on it.

ninjamaster said:
Phantom 2 arrived today, I tried it in the house.....not a good first move, have a few mild crashes from low heights. I got my gimbo hooked up, for some reason it keeps trying to adjust and Im not hitting the control? its also getting really hot, is it defective? I checked for any firmware updates, Im all up to date. My new gopro comes Monday and I want to try this thing out. any help? The gimbo is hooked up but not camera on it.

Do NOT fly it without Gopro mounted in Gimbal. You'll cook the gimbal. The gimbal is balanced for use with GoPro.

ahhhh, makes sense. I only had it on for maybe a minute and a half, so it should be fine. thanks for the quick reply.

Ninja, I am new to this too. I am curently awaiting delivery on my GOPRO 3 .
Have been reading posts all day and am a little nervous about the performance of the H3 Gimbal.
Read the posts under gimbal problems but im sure mine will be flawless lol

viewforum.php?f=8

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.