Now that the new FAA laws have been proposed...

Let me repeat this as clearly as possible: nothing has changed for hobbyists. Same guidelines are effective now that have been in effect since 2012 and earlier.

The only change will be stronger enforcement under part 107 if you do not follow 336 guidelines. So, if you think you can do as you please, guess again.

SEC. 336. SPECIAL RULE FOR MODEL AIRCRAFT.

(a) IN GENERAL.—Notwithstanding any other provision of law relating to the incorporation of unmanned aircraft systems into Federal Aviation Administration plans and policies, including this subtitle, the Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration may not promulgate any rule or regulation regarding a model aircraft, or an aircraft being developed as a model aircraft, if—
(1) the aircraft is flown strictly for hobby or recreational use;
(2) the aircraft is operated in accordance with a community based set of safety guidelines and within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization;
(3) the aircraft is limited to not more than 55 pounds unless otherwise certified through a design, construction, inspection, flight test, and operational safety program administered by a community-based organization;
(4) the aircraft is operated in a manner that does not interfere with and gives way to any manned aircraft; and
(5) when flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator of the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport) with prior notice of the operation (model aircraft operators flying from a permanent location within 5 miles of an airport should establish a mutually-agreed upon operating procedure with the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport)).

(b) STATUTORY CONSTRUCTION.—Nothing in this section shall be construed to limit the authority of the Administrator to pursue enforcement action against persons operating model aircraft who endanger the safety of the national airspace system.

(c) MODEL AIRCRAFT DEFINED.—In this section, the term ‘‘model aircraft’’ means an unmanned aircraft that is—
(1) capable of sustained flight in the atmosphere;
(2) flown within visual line of sight of the person operating the aircraft; and
(3) flown for hobby or recreational purposes.

Were does one find an FAA-approved knowledge testing center to take the initial aeronautical knowledge test? Were would we find the right information to study in order to take the test?

Yup, it's probably gonna be a few hundred dollars. Like I said in another post if it cost 7k you might as well spend a couple k more to fly a real plane.
Were does one find an FAA-approved knowledge testing center to take the initial aeronautical knowledge test? Were would we find the right information to study in order to take the test?

See this post.

Part 107 Explanation/Breakdown - Great Article!

Reactions: gringorio
Reactions: gringorio
Just out of curiosity, why not?

VLOS rule for one. I can't see the thing once it's is few hundred feet away from me. The best rules I always follow are "common sense, logical and respectful to others" laws. Just because couple of people came up with a rule won't make me follow them, such as driving at 55mph on a 4 lane highway. 55mph was implemented not for safety but for best fuel consumption!

VLOS rule for one. I can't see the thing once it's is few hundred feet away from me. The best rules I always follow are "common sense, logical and respectful to others" laws. Just because couple of people came up with a rule won't make me follow them, such as driving at 55mph on a 4 lane highway. 55mph was implemented not for safety but for best fuel consumption!

If you're flying for hobby/recreational then part 107 isn't for you anyway. If you're flying commercially 107 does apply and now that it's "codified" this dog has teeth.

Do a quick Google search of flying in national parks, I guarantee you can't. Many state and city parks also have regulations. Some counties even have regulations. All the regulations from non-FAA governments are where you can take off and land, FAA has rules over all airspace. So, for example, your local state park says it's a no fly zone, hypothetically you could take off and land outside of the state park and be ok.

No Nate , I'm afraid luvmytj is right:
You can not take off or land in the national parks, but you CAN be outside of the national park take off and fly over it.

Yup, it's probably gonna be a few hundred dollars. Like I said in another post if it cost 7k you might as well spend a couple k more to fly a real plane.

See this post.

Part 107 Explanation/Breakdown - Great Article!

Thank you guys for clarifying. I couldn't believe a uav cert would cost nearly as much as an actual pilot's license. I agree that there should be some education on flying safely. I plan to follow what's proposed as I enjoy this as a hobby and look forward to making money at the same time. Don't want to risk losing that opportunity.

For those looking for further clarification about Part 107, sUASnews did an hour-long discussion here:

Executing and enforcing Part 107 is going to be a different animal than just releasing the doc. Hopefully implementation doesn't leak over into 2017, which I wouldn't say is entirely far-fetched.

Do a quick Google search of flying in national parks, I guarantee you can't. Many state and city parks also have regulations. Some counties even have regulations. All the regulations from non-FAA governments are where you can take off and land, FAA has rules over all airspace. So, for example, your local state park says it's a no fly zone, hypothetically you could take off and land outside of the state park and be ok.
Trying not to derail this but it is useful info and I will be brief. Check out this document from the National Park Service - To:

The part I am referring to (applies to hobby flights)...

"The NPS has the authority to regulate or prohibit the use of unmanned aircraft from or on lands and waters administered by the NPS. As a result, the compendium closures required by the Policy Memorandum only apply to launching, landing, or operating unmanned aircraft from or on lands and waters administered by the NPS within the boundaries of the park. The closures do not apply to launching, landing, or operating unmanned aircraft from or on non-federally (e.g., private or state) owned lands located within the exterior boundaries of the park. The closures do not apply to the flight of unmanned aircraft in the airspace above a park if the device is launched, landed, and operated from or on lands and waters that are not administered by the NPS."

Reactions: NRJ
Well all I really wanted to do that was "commercial" was to take video of a house or land for sale (maybe even my own if I ever sell) and give it free to my realtor friend to help improve a listing. I'm not jumping through hoops and paying $7000 so I can do that. Don't worry, I won't be taking any such videos either.
Where are you guys getting this $7,000 garbage from? The only thing you have to do is pay $150 for a test and $50 for what I am assuming is the TSA background check. Oh, and register the drone for $5. Everyone relax, breathe deep, think happy thoughts. This is REALLY good news.

Reactions: JasonJett
It's mentioned here (which is quoting the proposed rule). The final rule does not include those numbers.
You're right, the final rule includes THESE numbers...

"The FAA has analyzed the benefits and the costs associated with this final rule. The estimated out-of-pocket cost for an individual to become FAA certificated as a remote pilot with a small UAS rating is $150, which is less than the cost of any other airman certification that allows non-recreational operations in the NAS."

Something else I read also said that there will be a $50 fee for some kind of ID junk, my guess is for the TSA check.

Reactions: liketogethigh
$200 beats $7,000 any day though :)

Haha... if somebody ever gets charged with DUI-phantom they need to post the ticket for the forum to make fun of them.

$200 beats $7,000 any day though :)
ANY freakin day Bro! I was so relieved when I saw the new rules and cost estimates. I was really afraid they would make it still too hard for a lot of us to be able to afford. This is sweet!

For those looking for further clarification about Part 107, sUASnews did an hour-long discussion here:

Executing and enforcing Part 107 is going to be a different animal than just releasing the doc. Hopefully implementation doesn't leak over into 2017, which I wouldn't say is entirely far-fetched.
A document I saw said it would take affect 60 days after the announcement of the final rules, meaning roughly August 21.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20