Now that the new FAA laws have been proposed...

Reaction score
It's pretty common to see / hear people whine and gripe about people not following the rules and making a bad name for all drone pilots. I'm totally guilty of flying at 450 feet on occasion, or flying behind a tree where it's not in my VLOS. But one of the things that really troubles me is all the long distance posts, the FPV-only pilots, the disregard for safety by flying over extremely populated areas (downtowns, festivals, highways), etc. It only takes one hiccup for you to be that dipshit the screws everything up for everyone else. And it's usually not physically a pilot error, but it's still the pilots fault because they made that decision.

So I ask, now that the FAA has proposed pretty reasonable regulations, will you follow them? If not, why?

There are no new laws for hobbyists -- if that's what you're referring to.

There are no new laws for hobbyists -- if that's what you're referring to.
You're correct, but most of the new proposed rules do still apply to hobbyists. Im not 100% sure, but I think the ones I've referred to apply to all sUAS pilots.

I think the ones I've referred to apply to all sUAS pilots.
You haven't referred to any specifically. If you're referring to part 107 though, then it's not something hobbyists need to be concerned about.

I guess I'll remain a hobbiest. No way I'm spending $7000.00 to take the 107.

Last edited:
VLOS, flying over people and trafficked areas, national parks, etc.
I guarantee you can fly over national parks... it's right in their rules. No laws but the FAA has some guidelines...

Safety Guidelines
  • Fly at or below 400 feet
  • Keep your UAS within sight
  • Never fly near other aircraft, especially near airports
  • Never fly over groups of people
  • Never fly over stadiums or sports events
  • Never fly near emergency response efforts such as fires
  • Never fly under the influence
  • Be aware of airspace requirements

Well all I really wanted to do that was "commercial" was to take video of a house or land for sale (maybe even my own if I ever sell) and give it free to my realtor friend to help improve a listing. I'm not jumping through hoops and paying $7000 so I can do that. Don't worry, I won't be taking any such videos either.

That's bunk man I guarantee that's misinformation it's not gonna cost more than I paid to get a real PPL to go through the 107 process. From what I gather you pay for a knowledge test, I'd relax a bit before getting your pitchforks ready.

Reactions: BigAl07
I guarantee you can fly over national parks... it's right in their rules. No laws but the FAA has some guidelines...

Safety Guidelines
  • Fly at or below 400 feet
  • Keep your UAS within sight
  • Never fly near other aircraft, especially near airports
  • Never fly over groups of people
  • Never fly over stadiums or sports events
  • Never fly near emergency response efforts such as fires
  • Never fly under the influence
  • Be aware of airspace requirements
Do a quick Google search of flying in national parks, I guarantee you can't. Many state and city parks also have regulations. Some counties even have regulations. All the regulations from non-FAA governments are where you can take off and land, FAA has rules over all airspace. So, for example, your local state park says it's a no fly zone, hypothetically you could take off and land outside of the state park and be ok.

Well all I really wanted to do that was "commercial" was to take video of a house or land for sale (maybe even my own if I ever sell) and give it free to my realtor friend to help improve a listing. I'm not jumping through hoops and paying $7000 so I can do that. Don't worry, I won't be taking any such videos either.

According to the new document: "The FAA has analyzed the benefits and the costs associated with this final rule. The estimated out-of-pocket cost for an individual to become FAA certificated as a remote pilot with a small UAS rating is $150,"

Reactions: mrcrane2u and JBG
I follow all guidelines except LOS. That one I usually ignore over sparsely populated or unpopulated land. And I've been know to have a beer while flying but I'm not exactly "under the influence". No more than one beer though. If I wouldn't drive, I don't fly.

So can we fly in National parks? Can we launch and land in them? LuvMyTJ is usually pretty reliable on this stuff.

Reactions: Morro Man
107 is great and all, but it isn't the Reauthorization Bill which is supposed to take the power over airspace out of the state's hands. For instance, in Louisiana one of three new drone laws basically says you can't hover. And you can't fly at schools unless it is a school program - no public use of school grounds even if not in session. And drones are subject to peeping tom laws. And no flying over prisons (okay, I'll give them that one.)

Anyone know where we are with the Reauthorization Bill?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik