Now even Walmart is in the Phantom business!

I would not buy from Walmart. It's so easy to purchase, crash, box up and take back. They most of the time put it back on the shelf. This means the next poor Joe purchases a broken Phantom and has to go thru the same process mentioned above minus the crash.
they can't and don't put things like phantoms back on the shelf
Did the op see them on store shelves?
I see them online and no discounts available for associates since they are from outside vendors
Only thing I would be concerned is Walmart's policy on electronics. They may only have 15 to 30 days return policy and then it goes to DJI

Last edited:
they can't and don't put things like phantoms back on the shelf
Did the op see them on store shelves?
I see them online and no discounts available for associates since they are from outside vendors
I'm just referring to "if" they sell them in stores.

Maybe all stores are different. I know for a fact the one in my town will put the items back on the rack.

CostCo will be next! :cool:

I'm not so sure. I think if they do any research and find all the problems folks report having, they might steer clear (at least for now) for fear of having a big return problem. That, and not really having knowledgeable people to direct questions to. Hell, most of the time you can't find anyone to help you find stuff you saw last week and they've moved since then. Or discontinued. So, I don't see Costco getting into the act anytime soon. But, I could be wrong - GASP! :coldsweat:

Funny you should mention that... I just read this.. ;-)

Drones for Sale at Costco

I’m a huge fan of Costco for a number of reasons. But, unfortunately, it’s hard to find drones on the Costco site. After searching around for a while, I found some remote-controlled helicopters under the “toys” category but no drones. Some further Google searching led me to find a promotional video of the Parrot AR drone 2.0 on Costco’s site (which is one of the most popular drones on the market), but you can’t actually buy the Parrot. Eventually I was forced to conclude that I just wasn’t going to find any drones there.

Costco does have different websites for different countries so you may be able to find more options for drones on other countries’ sites. If you go to the Canadian Costco website for example, you will find a Swann Maxi Quad Remote Control Starship for sale. It’s a simple quadcopter that gets in about 7 minutes of flight time and it’s only about $55. But even with these sites, your drone shopping is going to be limited.

This is partly because Costco depends mostly on its store locations. Since products vary from store to store, there’s a good chance that something available in one store is not stocked in another. Basically, one of the best ways to find out if Costco is selling a drone that you might want is to browse around in your local Costco. Or, you can contact them and ask about any drones they are currently selling or will be selling in the future.

The bad thing about not being able to search for drones for sale online is that you can’t compare one drone against another. You can’t do research about which one would be the best fit for you. Even if you do find a drone for sale in one of their warehouses, you probably won’t have much of a selection. You may find a great drone for a great price and if you’re feeling impulsive—go for it! Otherwise, you might want to search somewhere else for a drone.

But don’t let me dissuade you from buying a drone from Costco. If you do find a drone you like at Costco, you should feel good about getting it. Costco’s prices are super low compared to other places, and it’s really one of the best places to get a good deal. Plus, they have great return policies. Although they don’t have a lot of information about drones on their site, most other electronics can be returned within 90 days of your purchase. They also have free technical support for a lot of electronics. Again, this probably doesn’t apply to drones, but, if you do buy one from them, I would definitely ask about their return policy and any technical support available. I’ve always been impressed with Costco’s customer service and I’m not alone. I think they would be very helpful with any drone that you buy.

Overall, Costco really isn’t the best place to find drones for sale. However, I know they do have drones every once in a while. If you find yourself shopping at Costco in the near future, go ahead and see if they have any drones in stock.

RedHotPoker
CostCo refunded my purchase price on a true flyaway Parrot A.R. 2.0 drone. It just drifted downwind over the freeway and disappeared, after slipping out of WiFi range! I returned the empty box with my receipt! That's really good customer service! I later returned three others, intact, inside their boxes, after a disastrous firmware update, a year later, and put the $950 toward my first Phantom! :cool:

Reactions: MrTommy
That screwy firmware update was crazy... When I flew my Parrot A.R.Drone 2.0 the first time, after that happened, I called their 1800#.
They actually emailed me instructions how to fix it, and if flew great, ever since. But those are only fun toys in comparison, to what we all mostly here, fly today.
Still, it was plenty of fun for this rank amateur... Ha

RedHotPoker

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Searched around but couldn't find this mentioned elsewhere.

I was just shocked an hour ago to see that my local Walmart is now selling Phantom 3's. Price was $499. But Walmart?

This is why DJI is in front.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I have some family who may want to purchase P3 Standard. Is there any way these could be counterfeit? Can I trust that I am getting authentic DJI through Wal-Mart? Fast answers would be appreciated! My local Wal-Mart shows P3 Standard for $369 !!!!

I have some family who may want to purchase P3 Standard. Is there any way these could be counterfeit? Can I trust that I am getting authentic DJI through Wal-Mart? Fast answers would be appreciated! My local Wal-Mart shows P3 Standard for $369 !!!!
You are getting original DJI product. My buddy works for Walmart.

I own P3P and I understand most of the feature differences in P3P and P3 standard. Other than less range and lower camera resolution, what are the drawbacks to the Standard? What would they be losing feature-wise that matters to any of you as remote pilots?

Other than less range and lower camera resolution, what are the drawbacks to the Standard?
Here are some other drawbacks:
  • You need to setup the Wi-Fi connection before flying each time
  • The remote controller does not have as many functions
  • The remote controller isn't as well built
  • Cannot use FPV goggles with it
  • It cannot connect to GLONASS satellites
If none of those things matter, then it might be a good fit for you.

Reactions: DougAles
Great feedback, thank you very much. For the most part, I think it would still be a great way for someone to "break into" the higher quality drones. I certainly love my P3P!!

Seeing a P3S at Walmart is what got me interested. After lots of investigation, I bought a P3A. Though it was the best choice for a first drone.

Sent from my tinfoil hat

Here are some other drawbacks:
  • You need to setup the Wi-Fi connection before flying each time
  • The remote controller does not have as many functions
  • The remote controller isn't as well built
  • Cannot use FPV goggles with it
  • It cannot connect to GLONASS satellites
If none of those things matter, then it might be a good fit for you.
The controller doesn't feel cheap to me. And if you are throwing your controller around you've got problems anyway.
Some phones you don't have to set up wifi each time.
The remote controller doesn't have many functions? Meh the phone app has the options I want.
GPS has never been a problem with mine.
No they aren't counterfeit I bought mine from walmart.com for cheaper than in store. There is no way a big company like Wal-Mart would risk selling counterfeit products. They sell some cheap stuff but you'd never see them do something like selling a DJW Pantom 3 lol.

The controller doesn't feel cheap to me. And if you are throwing your controller around you've got problems anyway.
Some phones you don't have to set up wifi each time.
The remote controller doesn't have many functions? Meh the phone app has the options I want.
Some of these things are things you don't realize until you've owned something other than a P3S. I'm not trying to bash the P3S (I own one too) -- just sharing facts (not my opinions).

From what I read online, the DJI P3S drops to $369 at midnight eastern time tonight at walmart dot com for their black Friday special. Thats the lowest Ive seen for a new complete unit.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie