Notifying Helipad

Reaction score
I went to fly at a field near a building I wanted to take pictures of. B4UFly told me there were 3 helipads in the area, 2 of which were nearby hospitals, one across the street. I called all three, and the hospital across the street transferred me to the flight for life helicopter dispatch, and they were cool with it. The other hospital asked who said I had permission? Am I correct that I don't need permission, but rather I'm just informing them? Want to make sure I'm ok with the process.

I went to fly at a field near a building I wanted to take pictures of. B4UFly told me there were 3 helipads in the area, 2 of which were nearby hospitals, one across the street. I called all three, and the hospital across the street transferred me to the flight for life helicopter dispatch, and they were cool with it. The other hospital asked who said I had permission? Am I correct that I don't need permission, but rather I'm just informing them? Want to make sure I'm ok with the process.

Lol the FAA said you had permission

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

You really need to be aware of incoming Helicopters arriving at a hospital unannounced to you. They can come in fairly quick at times. Often, you'll hear them in the distance and if so, ya need to land quickly. They never have a same approach and can come from any direction. I speak from experience with 9 years as a Flight Paramedic. I don't ever recall any Drone contacts or sightings while flying and glad we didn't. Be very aware.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

When I get reactions like that, I say...
Yes sir, that is why I am calling you. Safety is paramount. I want to communicate and inform you so that the airspace and manned aircrafts are protected. What information do you need from me to make sure that happens?

They usually snap out of it after that, and have a reasonable discussion with me.

When I get reactions like that, I say...
Yes sir, that is why I am calling you. Safety is paramount. I want to communicate and inform you so that the airspace and manned aircrafts are protected. What information do you need from me to make sure that happens?

They usually snap out of it after that, and have a reasonable discussion with me.
Theo450 That is exactly what I said. I'm listening very carefully for any Helicopters, and are prepared to drop elevation quickly. I guess they aren't used to people asking permission.

Reactions: SkeyeSearch3r
Theo450 That is exactly what I said. I'm listening very carefully for any Helicopters, and are prepared to drop elevation quickly. I guess they aren't used to people asking permission.

You are correct, every tower I call it seems like I am the first one to ever call them about this. It is mostly uncharted territory.

Reactions: SkeyeSearch3r

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr