Notifying Airports/Helipads

Reaction score
I'm under the assumption heliports technically don't need notified as long as you obey all the suggested flying rules... especially the 400feet altitude one and pay attention to your craft.

I wanted to go fly today. I was looking on AirMap and a airport was listed. I looked them up online and according to their FAA record

"additional remarks -
ARPT CLSD WINTER MONTHS."

Do I still need to notify this person?

Also, what if there is no # listed for an airport listed on the app? I can't find it on google either?

Usually even if the airport is closed there is still someone to contact off season. If its that small of an airport, most of the surrounding area is most likely going to be class G anyways. But try the number and see if you get a hold of someone.

"Closed" is closed! That means no activity. That's a warning to pilots not to use the airport. So as long as you know the "closed" and "open" dates, just act like it isn't there when closed. An check out some of the threads here about the 400 ft "limit". Only exists as a hard limit for Part 107 pilots.

Talked to the FAA officials at the FSDO in Minneapolis and they said to make a good effort to get in touch with someone at the heliport and if you cant don't worry about it.

Talked to the FAA officials at the FSDO in Minneapolis and they said to make a good effort to get in touch with someone at the heliport and if you cant don't worry about it.

Exactly because your not required to contact any heli port or sea port. No tower=No call.

Its good practice to notify heliports, especially since they are the only aircraft you are likely to hit under 500 ft AGL. I often flew in Robinson 22 at 500 ft, and private pilots are expected to stay within 100 ft of their target altitude, commercial pilots within 50 feet.

Especially if the heliport is a hospital, news station or police launch point I let them know each flight. The news station greatly appreciates the calls, as they often fly around the city below 400 ft.

Courtesy as a hobby operator will get you far as a 107 operator.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Exactly because your not required to contact any heli port or sea port. No tower=No call.
That statement no tower equals no call is not true when it comes to an airport. Not all airports have towers that does not relieve you of the obligation to contact the airport office, or at least make a honest effort to. Even a non towered airport often have access to radio communications with the pilot. Look at this link and go down to the "Variations" paragraph. Non-towered airport - Wikipedia

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
That statement no tower equals no call is not true when it comes to an airport. Not all airports have towers that does not relieve you of the obligation to contact the airport office, or at least make a honest effort to. Even a non towered airport often have access to radio communications with the pilot. Look at this link and go down to the "Variations" paragraph. Non-towered airport - Wikipedia

Sent from my HTC 10 using PhantomPilots mobile app

The FAA has to limit/draw a line somewhere. The limit is a tower.

A great example is a seaport. I have one right down the road from me. It's on all the apps. This seaport is on the Willamette River. There is no contact info for the Willamette River. There are grass runway airstrips all over the place, which many may consider an airport. There is no tower here either, so how do you call the homeowner who runs the strip?

I'm not saying don't call or notify. I feel this is great practice. However the FAA has not made it mandatory to call and notify all airports, heliports, seaports, etc. because that would be simply impossible. So the cut off is the facility having a tower.

However the FAA has not made it mandatory to call and notify all airports, heliports, seaports, etc. because that would be simply impossible.

Why is it impossible? Maybe a bit time consuming.

So the cut off is the facility having a tower.

Please share where the FAA says this as I have never seen them state this.

Why is it impossible? Maybe a bit time consuming.

Please share where the FAA says this as I have never seen them state this.

Ya impossible as in the river does not have a phone. Lol. And who would answer, the salmon? :)

The tower thing is on the website. It doesn't say do not call if there is no tower. It says call the tower or ATC.

Again, I'm not disagreeing. I'm just exploiting the line drawn. If you understand you can not contact every airstrip, heliport, seaport, etc. you'll understand why there has to be a limit set.

In fact, the FAA says to contact the airport or the tower if there is one. Check the section on airports here Airspace Restrictions.

The FAA has to limit/draw a line somewhere. The limit is a tower.

A great example is a seaport. I have one right down the road from me. It's on all the apps. This seaport is on the Willamette River. There is no contact info for the Willamette River. There are grass runway airstrips all over the place, which many may consider an airport. There is no tower here either, so how do you call the homeowner who runs the strip?

I'm not saying don't call or notify. I feel this is great practice. However the FAA has not made it mandatory to call and notify all airports, heliports, seaports, etc. because that would be simply impossible. So the cut off is the facility having a tower.
If it's a 'real' airport and not just someone's yard trimmed so he can land on it, it will show up in apps like be4youfly and airmap. I have several in my area. info will pop up with the owners name and number. IMO as a private pilot, if it isn't on a sectional or in the directory, it isn't an airport.

Taken straight from the link above.....

"Recreational operators are required to give notice for flights within five miles of an airport to BOTH the airport operator and air traffic control tower, if the airport has a tower. However, recreational operations are not permitted in Class B airspace around most major airports without specific air traffic permission and coordination."

Last part of the first sentence is pretty clear.

"Recreational operators are required to give notice for flights within five miles of an airport to BOTH the airport operator and air traffic control tower, if the airport has a tower. However, recreational operations are not permitted in Class B airspace around most major airports without specific air traffic permission and coordination."

yes, tower call both, no tower, still call airport. Either case, still supposed to contact them.

So you just proved the other person's and my point. "BOTH the airport operator and air traffic control tower" That last part is not saying don't do either if there's no tower. It's saying call the tower if there is one.

Did I misread? :)

I'm at work on a phone. I'll get back to this when I can sit down and read.

I still stand by my original statement.

Good thing I don't fly rec:). Lol

Did I misread? :)

I'm at work on a phone. I'll get back to this when I can sit down and read.

I still stand by my original statement.

Good thing I don't fly rec:). Lol
Ok, we'll have to take that to the 9th circuit court of appeals and is if they'll overturn our stay. Just kidding.

Reactions: Helihover

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik