Notifying Airport / ATC of plans to fly

Reaction score
The rules listed on the FAA website you are supposed to notify the airport and ATC of plans to fly within 5 miles of the airport, I can't however locate any guidance as it relates to how you are supposed to notify them. I've reached out to my local airport yet received no response.

At first I though maybe we should fly under the radar as it were. But the more I think about it I think maybe we should overwhelm the ATC and airports operators with a barrage of notifications. The only backfire could be that the way FAA looks at it we are actually asking for permission and thus could be told not to fly in which case the FAA says they will come after you.

Finally, the statute sets a requirement for model aircraft operating within 5 miles of an airport to notify the airport operator and control tower, where applicable, prior to operating. If the model aircraft operator provides notice of forthcoming operations which are then not authorized by air traffic or objected to by the airport operator, the FAA expects the model aircraft operator will not conduct the proposed flights. The FAA would consider flying model aircraft over the objections of FAA air traffic or airport operators to be endangering the safety of the NAS. Additionally, we note that following this 5-mile notification procedure would be read in conjunction with FAA rules governing airspace usage discussed below

So we can give them an example of what they've required from us, but it may bite us in the arse.

I'm just working through this process at the moment. I live in the control zone of an international airport in NZ and while I am more than 4km away from the airport, the control zone is from the surface to 1500 feet. Had a fairly positive chat to a controller today and he said I just need to sign a memorandum of understanding about the requirements and advise them when I go flying (and stay under 400ft). Fingers crossed.

I guess if you are required to notify ATC of your flying and you don't, you're going to be in big doodoo if something goes wrong (e.g Phantom ends up in jet engine).

Call the control tower on your cell. Be prepared to give them the exact place you are going to fly, the times of operations, the max altitude and your phone number. Have a pencil and paper handy to jot down their directions to you, called a clearance. They might ask you to read it back to them. Happy flying

usaken said:
Call the control tower on your cell. Be prepared to give them the exact place you are going to fly, the times of operations, the max altitude and your phone number. Have a pencil and paper handy to jot down their directions to you, called a clearance. They might ask you to read it back to them. Happy flying

Sholdn't we asl to speak with clearance delivery?? Or perhaps file a flight plan with the local FSS??

SilentAV8R said:
usaken said:

Sholdn't we asl to speak with clearance delivery?? Or perhaps file a flight plan with the local FSS??

Clearance delivery is required for actual real airplanes with an IFR flight plan. The goal of notifying the airport is so they can issue a NOTAM that model aircraft activity may be in the area below a specific altitude.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

slashd0t said:
SilentAV8R said:
usaken said:

Clearance delivery is required for actual real airplanes with an IFR flight plan. The goal of notifying the airport is so they can issue a NOTAM that model aircraft activity may be in the area below a specific altitude.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was being a bit facetious. I also think it is very unlikely that the Tower will issue you a "clearance" and doubly unlikely that a NOTAM will be issued.

NOTAM for 1 hour? No. TFR? No. Operating low level (200 AGL or below) several miles away is no risk to manned fixed wing or rotary traffic. Advisory to low level operations (helicopter takeoff and landing for example) would be sufficient.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl