Notify FAA??

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Hopefully a quick question. I live in the Dallas, Fort Worth area and recently have noticed that both commercial and private plans are flying way below the recommended 400' level. Twice now I have had to drop my bird out of the sky to avoid other fixed wing traffic.

Some Details, I live:
7.6 miles from the Addison Airport
10.3 miles from Love Field Airport
19.7 miles from the DFW Regional airport

It seems to be Love Field and Addison that are bringing the planes in way below 400'!!

The Question is, should I contact the FAA and let them know that they are in violation of their own rules? For clarification, this typically happens right around sunset.

Curious as to what you would do!!

Respectfully,

Mark

Just for fun, if you never seen flightradar24.com, it should show some of those planes your talking about. Try it on a pc first, but there is a cool app also, both have free versions.

Reactions: Mark The Droner
Just for fun, if you never seen flightradar24.com, it should show some of those planes your talking about. Try it on a pc first, but there is a cool app also, both have free versions.
Can you get a hard copy (print version) from that sight? I've been using "Live Flight" and can't print out when they're in violation.

Haven't tried that, but could you take a screen shot, actually if you know the details, flight, data and time. I guess see what some others come up with. I was thinking about buying it for mobile, I got to go from Portland > Orlando, then make the return I few days later. My back is already hurting just thinking of the last long plane ride.
:(

That is awesome! I just went to the site for the first time. I think I might be addicted.

Reactions: BigAl07
I use the app, good stuff. :)

Reactions: Neary Aerial
That is awesome! I just went to the site for the first time. I think I might be addicted.
It was very addictive for me for like 3-4 weeks. Try your mobile device and you can actually point it above the horizon, and it will show where they are in the sky.
Anyways, let the thread continue with the OP.

On a Ipad 2 (just checked), look for Augmented Reality if you let it use your camera it will show the camera view, and put the planes where they should be. OMG, I can start to hear them again.
:)

Lol, I'm serious. Like I said, twice I had to do a quick dive with my bird for fixed wings more than 7 miles away from closest "private" airport" while I was flying at 396 feet.. Hope you're taking this seriously!!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Lol, I'm serious. Like I said, twice I had to do a quick dive with my bird for fixed wings more than 7 miles away from closest "private" airport" while I was flying at 396 feet.. Hope you're taking this seriously!!
No Really, I was addicted to this app, I would hear something overhead and I would run outside and check it out. My dad fly's some small planes even though he uses (VFR) I think, I haven't seen him in the air. I listen to a scanner a lot and hear traffic coming into are small airport, but have never seen that traffic on the app.

Hey Guys,

Hopefully a quick question. I live in the Dallas, Fort Worth area and recently have noticed that both commercial and private plans are flying way below the recommended 400' level.

Mark I look forward to seeing what the AP states the aircraft true altitude really is. With all due respect it's extremely hard to judge aircraft altitude from the ground. I worked adjacent to our local airport (KAVL) and I soon realized that the human eye is a horrible altimeter.

Holy cow! This ap is AWESOME! It's going to kill my work productivity but WOW it's entertaining.

Where do you fly? (I live in Garland)

I seem to get quite a bit of helicopter traffic. I live less than 2 miles from a heliport.

No Really, I was addicted to this app, I would hear something overhead and I would run outside and check it out. My dad fly's some small planes even though he uses (VFR) I think, I haven't seen him in the air. I listen to a scanner a lot and hear traffic coming into are small airport, but have never seen that traffic on the app.
I live 4 miles from the south end of CVG right on the flight path. This will be fun. Tonight they are coming and going East/West. Nothing overhead.

I'm pretty sure the AP is only showing planes on the RADAR and won't have any way to show low flying aircraft. Here where I live anything below 1,500'AGL unless you're very close to the airport are off the radar due to local terrain.

I cannot understand the pc version of the flightrader. Looks like a map of Finland. No instructions. No explanations. Unintuitive. What am I missing?

Yep, I think My dad told me about or another word like that, I didn't understand.
:rolleyes:
But he did like the App....

Last edited:
Where do you fly? (I live in Garland)

I seem to get quite a bit of helicopter traffic. I live less than 2 miles from a heliport.

Buckingham and Jupiter area. But it's not helo's that's the issue, it's private fixed wings and Southwest Airlines that's the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I cannot understand the pc version of the flightrader. Looks like a map of Finland. No instructions. No explanations. Unintuitive. What am I missing?
use the - symbol on the right side of the screen, make the map view further out and drag the map to your desired location or put the airport code in the search bar. :)

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic