Notes on identifying a V2 ESC (it's firmware, not hw/label)

Reaction score
[Necessary for 2312 motor upgrades]

EDIT (2014-11-25):

Go here for a video by El Guano that *accurately* explains what to look for.

Hey all,

DJI Support claims that the ESCs are all the same in the Phantom 2. The difference is in the ESC firmware.
- http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=1725

The method for identifying if your ESC has the correct firmware is apparently to:
  • Watch the startup lights - if your front "reds" turn on after motor power up, but NOT after boot, it's the correct firmware and ESC (ie: if it turns on after boot, but BEFORE you spin up the motors, you have the WRONG firmware and need to upgrade the ESCs).
    AND/OR
  • Listen to the startup sounds - if the four "extra"/original beeps are not at the end of the sequence, it's the correct firmware and ESC.

The V2 boards are often not labeled "V2" on the white sticker as DJI originally claimed (see thread above, as well as thread below, that has pictures of V2 boards without "V2" on the labels).

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthre ... 033&page=2

Hope that helps those of you upgrading and saves you some money.

On a related note, DJI is offering to upgrade the ESC firmware if you send your copter in for "repair" - no word in the thread (first link above) whether that incurs a charge, or is considered warranty repair, or what costs for out of warranty "repair".

Best,
Rob

Re: Notes on identifying a V2 ESC (it's firmware, not hw/lab

This is valuable information, you're a good man.

I noticed ALL my lights flash for a second during power up but only the back (green) lights stay on until I arm the motors.

I also dont have the 4 extra beeps. Got my Phantom on October 28, so I'm still trying to figure it out.

Not sure about the lights but the lack of last four beeps indicates V2 firmware. (so the general opinion goes).

I have a p2 zenmuse from march 2014 and the red lights don't come on until firing up the motors. After turning on and before firing motors they are not lit. I DO have the extra four beeps though.

So, lack of last beeps = V2
Lack of red lights after turning on and before starting motors = Not necessarily V2.

MrC said:
Not sure about the lights but the lack of last four beeps indicates V2 firmware. (so the general opinion goes).

I have a p2 zenmuse from march 2014 and the red lights don't come on until firing up the motors. After turning on and before firing motors they are not lit. I DO have the extra four beeps though.

Lack of red lights after turning on and before starting motors = Not necessarily V2.

Ok, now I am confused. I don't know any P2 that doesn't do red during the initial power up (red, green, yellow, red, green, yellow).

I *think* mine then do yellow until GPS.

Can you post a video or something of your startup? Because that's the other thing (that I am trying to confirm)... I can't find any with 2 sets of 4 beeps. Just startup tone and 4 beeps.

RobertMfromLI said:
MrC said:

Ok, now I am confused. I don't know any P2 that doesn't do red during the initial power up (red, green, yellow, red, green, yellow).

Can you post a video or something of your startup? Because that's the other thing (that I am trying to confirm)... I can't find any with 2 sets of 4 beeps. Just startup tone and 4 beeps.
I believe all lights flicker briefly but only the greens light up before arming on some models.
I would just ignore this part as it seems to be a mixed bag, the most obvious change are the startup sounds.

Extra 4 beeps = V1
Initial beeps only = V2

It WOULD be nice to hear an official answer from DJI but the only response from them is "send it in for repair and we can upgrade for you"

That's a 2-3 month wait for something you may not even need.

Ok, I think I got it. I listened to a Vision+ startup. It plays the ascending tones, but then no four beeps at all.

RobertMfromLI said:
MrC said:

Yeh it does the red, green, yellow bit but then the red lights turn off until starting motors.

So lights are a bit of a red herring, it seems the beeps are what identifies a V2 firmware esc. Still no confirmation of that from DJI though. It's like they just want us to buy new esc's.....

MrC said:
So lights are a bit of a red herring, it seems the beeps are what identifies a V2 firmware esc. Still no confirmation of that from DJI though. It's like they just want us to buy new esc's.....

So, it should sound like this (?):
http://youtu.be/ZsNVzDvTaME?t=55s

With no trailing "Beep beep beep beep"

RobertMfromLI said:

There are some P2s that go all red, some P2s that go only front-LED red, and now, some P2s that have no LEDs on during the ascending scale startup.

I made a video here to show the different options:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jph18PUf0zE

Note that other than the genuine 2312 V2 ESCs, I have no evidence that the four-beeps-only indicates V1 firmware. The P1 doesn't do the 4 beeps, nor does the E300 Mark 1, and neither of those are compatible with the 2312s.

ElGuano said:
RobertMfromLI said:

There are some P2s that go all red, some P2s that go only front-LED red, and now, some P2s that have no LEDs on during the ascending scale startup.

I made a video here to show the different options:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jph18PUf0zE

Note that other than the genuine 2312 V2 ESCs, I have no evidence that the four-beeps-only indicates V1 firmware. The P1 doesn't do the 4 beeps, nor does the E300 Mark 1, and neither of those are compatible with the 2312s.

YOU are awesome!!!

Thanks!!!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik