NOTAM system now reports UAS activity

Reaction score
Lockheed-Martin, who runs the FAA's Flight Planning service with weather and flight plan filing announced that they are now taking flight plans for UAS activity. Currently your drone has to be registered and assigned an N number, so if you have a Section 333 exemption this will be a service you want to use.

Here is the basics from their website, https://www.1800wxbrief.com/ [link]

Operators of unmanned aerial systems now can submit their flight plans online, and those operations will be displayed graphically to general aviation pilots when they file their flight plans, Lockheed Martin said on Monday. "Our objective is an open, standards-based system that individual operators and other private UTM [UAS traffic management] systems can use to interact seamlessly and securely with the NAS," said Paul Engola, vice president of transportation for Lockheed Martin. "We look forward to partnering with UAS operators and manufacturers to help create a system that supports the safe coexistence of manned and unmanned flight." Only operators of UAS operating under an FAA certificate are required to file Notams about their flight plans, but the service is expected to expand as UAS become more common.​

Here is a map from the website showing drone flights over South Carolina.
1800wxBrief%20UAS%20NOTAMS.jpg

I like it, it seems easy enough to file a flight plan. I wonder if they have an app for that?

Lockheed-Martin, who runs the FAA's Flight Planning service with weather and flight plan filing announced that they are now taking flight plans for UAS activity. Currently your drone has to be registered and assigned an N number, so if you have a Section 333 exemption this will be a service you want to use.

Here is the basics from their website, https://www.1800wxbrief.com/ [link]

Operators of unmanned aerial systems now can submit their flight plans online, and those operations will be displayed graphically to general aviation pilots when they file their flight plans, Lockheed Martin said on Monday. "Our objective is an open, standards-based system that individual operators and other private UTM [UAS traffic management] systems can use to interact seamlessly and securely with the NAS," said Paul Engola, vice president of transportation for Lockheed Martin. "We look forward to partnering with UAS operators and manufacturers to help create a system that supports the safe coexistence of manned and unmanned flight." Only operators of UAS operating under an FAA certificate are required to file Notams about their flight plans, but the service is expected to expand as UAS become more common.​

Here is a map from the website showing drone flights over South Carolina.
1800wxBrief%20UAS%20NOTAMS.jpg
Thanks Steve. We are getting there...

In case you are unaware, hobby flyers can use this service too. The only difference is the UOA you file will not be an official NOTAM. It will still show up on a pilot's briefing if they are using a service tied to Lockheed Martin. I personally file a UOA whenever I fly as far in advance as possible as I think it help make us more responsible operators.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj