NOTAM ? - Rec flyer vs part 107

Reaction score
Upcoming event in the USA, building implosion. Story is that there will be a NOTAM for the site which lies within 5 mi of an untowered airport. Does this mean that as a part 107 remote pilot I have to comply with the NOTAM but that a rec flyer could fly? Thanks.

Upcoming event in the USA, building implosion. Story is that there will be a NOTAM for the site which lies within 5 mi of an untowered airport. Does this mean that as a part 107 remote pilot I have to comply with the NOTAM but that a rec flyer could fly? Thanks.

As a Part 107 pilot you certainly have to comply with any relevant NOTAM. Other than that it depends on what the NOTAM says. Are you expecting it to be a TFR? If so, then you cannot fly recreationally or under Part 107.

If you have your Part 107, try contacting the demolition company about providing them some Aerial photo support. Could include some eye-in-the-sky surveillance before and video coverage during the event. For example, I have 2 phantoms and enough batteries that I could keep one up continuously for an hour before the event watching for anything that might come up, such as an unexpected person on site. Then station a bird at a suitable location to film the actual event.

You'll want to carefully coordinate and TEST your processes with the company doing the DEMO. I don't think it would be an issue but remember there could be a lot of Walkie talkie activity in the area and at one time they caused problems for some DJI ops.

Thanks all. I think the demo company has the dronage covered internally or externally.
Just have to wait to see if there is a NOTAM and what it says.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31