Not very impressed with picture quality compared to P3P

Reaction score
I used a P3P for a couple of years and was very happy with the images I was getting and so was excited when the new P4P came out and sold my old workhorse. It seems the pictures are either too sharp or too soft. I've changed back and forth from -1 to -2 and somewhere in the middle would be better. Also the colours look slightly washed out and not natural. I can't remember what the other two settings are in custom -1 0 0 for example. Any idea's?

CG

I've seen some beautiful stills from the P4P camera. I think your best bet is to nail the settings (hit the f5.6 set spot for the lens and search the forum for other stills tips) and use Photoshop to tweak the image rather than relying on the fairly basic adjustments in the drone software. If you post a sample image along with the settings you used, I'm sure you'll get more specific advice.

Reactions: DroneOnNDP
I used a P3P for a couple of years and was very happy with the images I was getting and so was excited when the new P4P came out and sold my old workhorse. It seems the pictures are either too sharp or too soft. I've changed back and forth from -1 to -2 and somewhere in the middle would be better. Also the colours look slightly washed out and not natural. I can't remember what the other two settings are in custom -1 0 0 for example. Any idea's?

CG
Are working with your images in post? What color style setting are you using? That will make a huge difference as it is basically applying a LUT in-camera.
I can tell you that having also come from my P3P workhorse, the P4P camera is a highly welcomed upgrade in many aspects.

Are working with your images in post? What color style setting are you using? That will make a huge difference as it is basically applying a LUT in-camera.
I can tell you that having also come from my P3P workhorse, the P4P camera is a highly welcomed upgrade in many aspects.
I agree 100%

If you don't do post production: If you can, put in f5/6 (the sweetest lens spot) or less if you need more light, but try to not use f8/f11 because diffraction, style "none", 0 0 0 or -1 0 0 (or put more contrast or saturation if you like), manual white balance, don't forget tap to focus and that's all.

If you like doing post production, follow the same steps but take the picture in DNG format and with Lightroom, ACR (or the RAW editor from your preference) set up as you like.

A P4P between P3P, there's a HUGE, HUGE difference!

Enviado desde mi Nexus 6P mediante Tapatalk

Not using any post editing other than cropping at the moment. I was trying to find some sample to share but I think I binned them already (I'll take another look) so will have to take more if the snow ever quits grrr

Not using any post editing other than cropping at the moment. I was trying to find some sample to share but I think I binned them already (I'll take another look) so will have to take more if the snow ever quits grrr
That would explain why you are thinking the image is lesser.

Reactions: Falcon900
Yeah you should try using a Raw converter and tweaking your P4P images in and editing software. Because they will blow away your old P3 pics. They are much better than P4's that I had as well.

Reactions: Falcon900

CG
Just also be mindful when using the P4P, that if you have the GO4 app in video mode and shooting video (or maybe even just in video mode - I've not tested), you can still take and save photos as jpegs , however they are not full resolution photos. They are basically a 'frame grab' from the 4K video feed. They are 8 megapixels and not the true 20 megapixel capture. They do look washed out and unsharp and reflect your video profile settings. You were not able to do this with the P3P, you had to stop the video record before you could take stills. I have both P3P and P4P and in every way the P4P has a superior capture.

Thanks guys for the input. I really need to go out and take more shots but we got 45cm of snow today and its going to be -28c tomorrow, brrrr. I have not taken any grab shots from the video as I've only used video once and it was very good indeed. In custom settings for the camera the first digit is sharpness but what are the next two?

Can you tell us your settings on that shot @skysense ?
auto, aperture priority, or shutter priority?
shutter speed?
aperture?
color setting?

Likely either motion blur at very low shutter speed (not likley in daylight even at 100iso) or camera did not focus. Did you tap screen to focus at any point after launch?

If you feel like your settings were good and you had focused then:
1. reset all camera settings
2. shoot test shots on ground in auto and make sure camera is getting a focus lock.

You might check this post
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Here we go, huge difference with some LR help.
1.jpg

Thanks guys for the input. I really need to go out and take more shots but we got 45cm of snow today and its going to be -28c tomorrow, brrrr. I have not taken any grab shots from the video as I've only used video once and it was very good indeed. In custom settings for the camera the first digit is sharpness but what are the next two?
The second setting is contrast, and the third is saturation.

Here we go, huge difference with some LR help. View attachment 75661
Nice shot ... but over sharpened. It's best to reduce the sharpening and contrast during capture and add as desired in post processing. If you reduce your contrast, you'll stand a better chance to get the entire tonal range. In post processing you can use curves to customize your contrast later. If contrast is too high, you are likely to get blown out blacks and whites ... especially on a sunny day.

Thanks for the advise. I did not add any sharpening it was right out of the camera that way. My settings in custom were -1 0 0 but I find -2 0 0 is too soft (as you say I can always add some sharpening). I think I need to tweak it some more in LR. I'm an old film photographer where everything was left to the lab tech and computers were things that would fill a huge room, lol.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan