Not too happy with DJI support and repair service

Reaction score
I was flying the drone last week when it lost signal with the remote control, I was only 150 yards from my remote controller at the time and have flown the exact same route several times.
It lost signal and I waited as I thought it would just fly back home but it hovered and then dropped to the floor.
I contacted online support and they gave me an RMA number and I boxed it up and sent it in after being told they will repair it.

Yesterday they now inform me that the item was crashed and I have to pay £150 repair bill which I know isn't a lot of money but its the point. It was NOT crashed, it dropped from the sky, to me a crash is hitting something whilst going forward, sideways or backwards but not when it loses signal and falls to the ground.
To me this is a fault beyond my control.

Is this the normal way DJI go about such issues ?

In the assistant was it told to return home and land or just land? Definately counter-argue your point though - even by the assistant standards - a crash is not landing so your not to blame.

It was set to return to home. It has done this several times and I get the option to continue or cancel when it regains reception but in this case it never regains comms with the drone.

Is this the normal way DJI go about such issues ?

This is the way DJI goes about such issues, welcome to the world of DJI. This forum is full of stories like yours and this is the exact reason a lot of customers are not happy with their customer support. DJI's technology is good, however their customer service leaves a sour taste in your mouth when it comes to claims similar to yours. Lack of customer support is what is driving customers away from DJI.

I have a P3P and was seriously considering a P4 like yours, then found out Autel released the X-Star Premium and jumped on that, their customer service is awesome.

Good luck.!

Last edited:
Reactions: nash and nickyb
This is the way DJI goes about such issues, welcome to the world of DJI. This forum is full of stories like yours and this is the exact reason a lot of customers are not happy with their customer support. DJI's technology is good, however their customer service leaves a sour taste in your mouth when it comes to claims similar to yours. Lack of customer support is what is driving customers away from DJI.

I have a P3P and was seriously considering a P4 like yours, then found out Autel released the X-Star Premium and jumped on that, their customer service is awesome.

Good luck.!

I am shocked that they have acted like this. If it were my fault I would gladly accept it and pay but these guys are taking the pi55, not what I expect.

not what I expect.
Exactly.!!

They are going to play hard ball on this one and not going to accept any responsibility whatsoever. Basically when you buy a Phantom you are gambling. They treat people like "user error"...
They have gotten so big but do not have the proper customer service guide lines.

I agree with your statement it is not so much the money part, it is the principle of the matter. I have read threads on this forum of Phantoms flying away and DJI not accepting responsibility.

They haven't responded to me even though live chat promised they would.
I guess legal action is the only way to resolve issues with DJI !

DJI customer service is a joke ....... They have a awesome product and I would own every model they have if it wasn't for there cs team...... Sad thing about it they got huge fast so it will take some time but eventually they will see there #s dropping.... Then maybe they will start trying to treat there customers like they should but I highly doubt it..... Don't mean to be so negative but hey it's the truth lol...,,.. Stay away from there live chat and send all emails to DJI support.us and make sure you keep screen shots, notes, emails, etc. on anything with them ....,.. I hope everything works out for you and if all else fails jump ship and take your lost ...... All you will do is hurt you self in the long run ..... I have birds that are still under warranty and I refuse to send them off because DJI is a stroke waiting to happen lol

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I am still waiting for a response even after their online support told me it would arrive yesterday.

Im running a charge back on my CC now but that only hurts the store I purchased from.

Reactions: Ajriek
There isn't enough time for me to explain my utter dissatisfaction with the repair process. It was literally the worst customer service I have ever had, especially on a $ 1,500 piece of equipment. They continually lied to me and got caught in the lies, then they would hang up. No exaggeration. One lady put me on hold to find someone as she was going to ask them something for me, I was on hold for 15 minutes, I checked the timer on my phone, before I hung up. When I called back and asked for this lady again, they told me she left for the day, but that was after they tried to tell me there was no one there by that name. After fighting and arguing, they admit she left for the day. Put me on hold and left. I had spoken to 3 different supervisors trying to get a resolution, each one told me they would call back. Of course they didn't and I would ask for them and they are in a meeting, or have a family emergency. They told me that one of them had a family emergency, but when I called back and talked to a different supervisor the next day, they told me he was just in meetings all day. I mentioned the fact that they told me he had a family emergency, and he stuttered and said oh yeah, that too. Definitely wont buy another DJI. Also, they sent me back a different drone, not mine. I had writing in the battery compartment, and it is not on the one that was returned. It also had all of the stickers on it that I had removed.

these are buy at your own risk and they are disposable drones.

There isn't enough time for me to explain my utter dissatisfaction with the repair process. It was literally the worst customer service I have ever had, especially on a $ 1,500 piece of equipment. They continually lied to me and got caught in the lies, then they would hang up. No exaggeration. One lady put me on hold to find someone as she was going to ask them something for me, I was on hold for 15 minutes, I checked the timer on my phone, before I hung up. When I called back and asked for this lady again, they told me she left for the day, but that was after they tried to tell me there was no one there by that name. After fighting and arguing, they admit she left for the day. Put me on hold and left. I had spoken to 3 different supervisors trying to get a resolution, each one told me they would call back. Of course they didn't and I would ask for them and they are in a meeting, or have a family emergency. They told me that one of them had a family emergency, but when I called back and talked to a different supervisor the next day, they told me he was just in meetings all day. I mentioned the fact that they told me he had a family emergency, and he stuttered and said oh yeah, that too. Definitely wont buy another DJI. Also, they sent me back a different drone, not mine. I had writing in the battery compartment, and it is not on the one that was returned. It also had all of the stickers on it that I had removed.

Ive also had the lies.
I spent an hour on customs support yesterday with kristal confirming she would now look after my case and sort it out and to expect an email within 24 hours.
I got an email 16 hours later which was a direct replica of the first email i got a few weeks ago asking me to send in the flight logs.
I had actually sent them in again whilst on the online chat to her.

Its a total joke.

Pushing them into a corner where they loose face will almost guarantee an unpleasant outcome for everyone. Understanding some of the cultural intricacies goes a long way. I learnt the hard way in some dealings with Chinese businesses. Catching them out in a lie and making a big point of it is game over.

Reactions: Meta4
Pushing them into a corner where they loose face will almost guarantee an unpleasant outcome for everyone. Understanding some of the cultural intricacies goes a long way. I learnt the hard way in some dealings with Chinese businesses. Catching them out in a lie and making a big point of it is game over.
Being a doormat and allowing them to walk all over you is also a game over. Squeaky wheel gets the grease, the quiet one gets ignored.

I;ve seen much success with the outcome of crashed/lost Phantoms with cases posted over at the actual DJI forum site. A couple of DJI employees seem to really go to bat for their customers, couple of cases, customer gets a flat "no warranty" on a fix & these DJI employees will step up for the client & before you know it there is a total reversal & the customer ends up with a positive result, One DJI fellow that stands out goes by the name of Ken.

DJI support or lack there of is why I came to this forum. I didn't like how the company owned forum worked, it just didn't feel right. Here I see lots of unbiased and reasonable conversations.

Ultimately it was a company mentioned in this site that I bought the parts from to finally repair mine. From all the horror stories I'd seen, I knew there was know way I was going to send mine to them. I too will be watching for a different manufacturer for my next drone because of this.

I was ready to pull the trigger on a Phantom 3A or 4, but I'm having serious reservations after all these CS horror stories.

Reactions: nash
I own a P3P and was seriously considering a P4 until I bumped in the Autel X-Star Premium. I am not going to tell you guys that it is better than the P4, but it is comparable except for OA. The build quality of the AC is amazing, it does not feel like a cheap piece of plastic. As well all know the Phantom 3A and Pro and some P4 have a design flaw, the shell cracks in the motor mounts.
Not to mention that Autel's customer service is amazing, before I bought the X-star Premium i called to talk to a live person. Customer support is open 7 days a week, and is U.S. based.

I was ready to pull the trigger on a Phantom 3A or 4, but I'm having serious reservations after all these CS horror stories.
I think the P4 is a great bird, I have no reservations about buying it. If you are the type that always takes your car to the dealership for service rather than an idependent repair shop you may not enjoy the overall experience. I have found this forum, and the hobby shops that deal in this product to be pretty helpful, it is just the manufacturers after sale support that stinks.

Reactions: direkMel

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr