Not much luck with FPV

Reaction score
I am on my second FPV setup with my Phantom. First the Fat Shark Preditor with not much luck and now I have a 5.8 400mw setup with no better luck than the Fat Sharks. I get about 100ft away and the reception starts to break up.I also use the clover leaf antennas from DJI. This should be a great setup! I'm starting to think this is a viberation issue. Fisrt I used velcro, now I am using servo tape to hold the transmitter in place. Any help would be great.

John Arnold

Try powering VTX with another tiny battery. You'll discard if it is a power interference or vibration. Also try locating the VTX antena in another place so not to be shadowed by camera or another things.

What vtx are you using, I am using the DJI cloverleaf antennas and they work great on my setup. I have it mounted with 3M dual lock tape, this is similar to velcro but 3x stronger and gets a much better hold. I also put another velcro strap over the back of my VTX to make sure it stays completely still, I didnt think about vibrations effecting the signal but I didnt want it vibrating adding more vibrations to the frame and eventually camera. I also power my VTX off the battery balance plug not hard wired to the phantom, this is a bit of a PITA to connect each flight but seems to work well for me.

Double check you've got the rx and tx on the same channel. You WILL still get a signal if they're different, but your range will be ****. I faffed around for ages with changing antennas because I wrongly assumed if I was getting a signal I had them aligned.

A number of setups have DIFFERENT switch codes between the rx and tx for the same channel!!

Thank you for the tips. I have the clover leaf antennas, so I will check on the channels on the TX and RX.

John Arnold

Wave length at 5.8ghz is almost 2 inches, so try to keep the antennas at least that far away from other metalic objects that may block the signal.

Make sure that if SMA connectors are called for, that you are not using rp sma (i.e. the connector on the antenna has a male center pin on a straight SMA). If you try to use a RP SMA when a SMA is called for, things will not work well. Since they sell both types, it's important to check.

bumper

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj