Not like it was

Do you have IOC enabled? If so, try toggling from GPS to ATTI to GPS, see if that doesn't tighten it up for you. If not, enable it and try.
I don't know what IOC even is. You may be on to something and I will look into that and experiment. But, shouldn't it hold a steady hover no matter what mode its in? Mine did prior to updating. If DJI comes out with a fix, should we trust it? I'm now hearing that earlier products were fracked with these kind of issues for years.

If the bird doesn't hold a steady hover, that is usually fixed with a compass calibration.

A six inch drift dosen't sound like a problem, though.

Maybe you can fill us in on some of the other problems you're having?

I don't know what IOC even is. You may be on to something and I will look into that and experiment. But, shouldn't it hold a steady hover no matter what mode its in? Mine did prior to updating. If DJI comes out with a fix, should we trust it? I'm now hearing that earlier products were fracked with these kind of issues for years.
Yes, it should hold steady. But this is par for the course when dealing w/ DJI stuff, unfortunately.. They get 99% of stuff right.
Also, do you have VPS enabled? If so, try disabling it, if not, try enabling it.
Just keep it low and slow while messing w/ settings.

If you have accidentally moved the switch above the gimbal control form GPS to ATTI then no, it will not hold a steady spot. It will move with its own momentum or with a breeze. I would double check the flight mode switch. I upgraded to 1.2.6 and really haven't had any issues. I fly pretty much daily, over land, over water, etc.

Yes, it should hold steady. But this is par for the course when dealing w/ DJI stuff, unfortunately.. They get 99% of stuff right.
Also, do you have VPS enabled? If so, try disabling it, if not, try enabling it.
Just keep it low and slow while messing w/ settings.
Good advice I'm going to try some of the things you are suggesting. I should be flying/trying later this afternoon.

If you have accidentally moved the switch above the gimbal control form GPS to ATTI then no, it will not hold a steady spot. It will move with its own momentum or with a breeze. I would double check the flight mode switch. I upgraded to 1.2.6 and really haven't had any issues. I fly pretty much daily, over land, over water, etc.
The switch is all the way to the right. Actually I have not moved it from there since I've had it. Should I be moving it?

Not to be a **** but a 6" drift isn't that bad. I don't think you can expect it to stay rock solid.
Well, my beef is that it did hold firm prior to me updating the firmware to v1.2.6. It just floats all over within that 6 inches, maybe more.

I really think that you are somehow in ATTI mode. I just put mine into a hover and it drifted a few feet in each direction horizontally but not really vertically that much. It seemed to hit an invisible "wall" then go back. I know it says somewhere that if you do RTH it is accurate within like 5 feet or something like that. So I am assuming the GPS lock on the Phantom has a margin of error around 5 feet. I have limited knowledge of how accurate GPS is, but I cant imagine it should stay within one 6 inch radius.

Reactions: AbsPapa

DJI seem to have rushed releasing the Phantom 3 to compete with 3DR's Solo. Like someone else stated earlier in another thread. DJI is now playing catch up mode as their product was not ready for release. Unfortunately we are the lab rats and let DJI know of any errors if any errors. That is my opinion. I'm flying the P3 around just fine and I do have to admit I wish I never upgraded to 1.1.9. The first update I did 1.1.7 seemed to let the P3 fly flawlessly. But, something is just different now. App crashes a lot. FPV picture freezes. Loses connection and choppy connection at short distance. The other day I had VPS errors. My P3 was hovering 10-15 feet above ground and on the main screen it said I was -27.5 feet. I flew it last night and the VPS was working just fine. Other than that the P3 flies perfect.

Reactions: paulsheaves
I took mine up this morning showing some Fire/Rescue personnel the capabilities and it kept drifting and would not stay in one place, like the wind was carrying it away. I was getting excessively frustrated. Then it dawned on me....check the flight mode switch. Sure enough it was not set properly, flicked the switch over and voila perfection. I was slightly embarrassed that I had not figured it out sooner. Live and learn.

So you have to be unhappy with the end results, right?

Totally unhappy:) Theres something wrong with the firmware. Everybody may be also not experiencing same problems. But this is hard judge. And Im also not the one that should judge it. I would be happy if DJI tells "yes, there something and we re working on it" or give us another kind of info...

Well, my beef is that it did hold firm prior to me updating the firmware to v1.2.6. It just floats all over within that 6 inches, maybe more.
You're not crazy or alone. I know it doesn't seem like it from the responses you have had so far, but many people have reported the same. I personally had the same experience. Just remarkably stable when I first flew the P3. Solid hover like a hummingbird. Really just amazing. After the update, that was gone. No change in gear or settings, just the update and then it drifted all over and lost altitude on its own. Once all the way to the ground where is started to skip to the side. Nothing that couldn't be handled, but a dramatic and surprising difference from its prior performance. Once I saw all of the reports on this forum, I learned that VPS was negatively impacted for many with the FW update. Disabling VPS gets it back to something closer to normal, but it is still not like it was before the FW update. Maybe it never will be again, but I'm hoping a fix to restore the prior performance will be out soon.

In the mean time, I still love to fly and do so whenever I can with no lack of confidence in the Phantom.

Last edited:
I have always been of the opinion that if you're not pretty much technically inclined, don't buy one of these drones . I have had to know all sorts of background information not related to drones , but related to programs and apps, for the P 3 to fly correctly.by the way, my P 3 flies perfectly with the update. I think a lot of it has to do with what phone or tab are you using. I have a Samsung s5 and a tab pro 8.4. Both work perfectly. A lot of the problems I think come down to what chip is in your phone and how much memory do you have. If the program locks up you don't have a fast enough chip or enough memory.

I have always been of the opinion that if you're not pretty much technically inclined, don't buy one of these drones . I have had to know all sorts of background information not related to drones , but related to programs and apps, for the P 3 to fly correctly.by the way, my P 3 flies perfectly with the update. I think a lot of it has to do with what phone or tab are you using. I have a Samsung s5 and a tab pro 8.4. Both work perfectly. A lot of the problems I think come down to what chip is in your phone and how much memory do you have. If the program locks up you don't have a fast enough chip or enough memory.

I think the same thing. I have a Samsung S5 and it was flying perfectly with 1.1.7. I feel like DJI is doing these updates to fix errors for people who have crappy phones/tablets. Now the S5 is having problems

I hear you when you say that perhaps less technically inclined people may struggle a bit. I sometimes unfairly expect that everyone who works with me in the tech industry should have my level of interest in technology. Here in this forum as well, some of the questions I have seen make me wonder if the poster had ever used a computer. Clearly a few have never done a FW or operating system update on any computer or gadget, but we were all there at one time, right? No problem, we can help them. It doesn't take too long for most to come up to speed if they are interested in doing so. Some however just want the "ready to fly" that is advertised and they are not interested in being technically inclined. That's fine. Maybe a bit scary, but still fine.

In my personal case, my Air 2 seems to be very solid. I'm confident that it is not related to the performance issues introduced with the FW update last week. I think that people who use weaker spec'd tablets for sure have their own issues, but I don't see that as a contributing factor to these current VPS issues.

Reactions: skyhighdiver
My P3 is the first DJI product I've owned. After pre-ordering it, I started reading all I could on this site and quickly developed an expectation that things might not go perfectly smoothly with firmware updates. But despite the complaints and problems, it seems that in the past when there have been firmware updates that weren't perfect, the problems were eventually fixed.

So, as a new P3 owner, I have so far elected to do firmware updates when they come out and expect that there may be some small problems. With the recent update I found the subtle drift downward at low altitude after launching that others have seen. I can't say that I see any side to side drift that is very significant (maybe a few inches).

I'm just not that worried about these little issues so far. In no way do they affect my ability to enjoy the P3 as I typically fly in rather clear areas, away from trees and high to avoid being close to things that seem to like to eat Phantoms. Based on history, I fully expect for these little issues to be worked out and fixed in future updates.

Although I'm only an amateur programmer, I've had quite a bit of experience in developing software. Through that, I've learned that very often when fixing one problem, it's easy to accidentally create a new problem. In an ideal world, these new problems never hit the public releases. But these kinds of new issues do get out all of the time. How many times have you had an app on your phone or tablet release 2 or 3 updates in a short time span? That's the exact same issue.

Thankfully, all of us have a great quadcopter to fly and enjoy!

Chris

Reactions: Oso
Agreement on using a better quality tablet/device to fly with. I am still
Very happy here with the iPad 2 Mini wifi as well, 32gb with no other programs running. But I am going to upgrade back to the iPad Air 2 wifi, as I was really enjoying using the larger screen. And anti glare feature...

The thumb reader was not impressive. Bells and whistles...

RedHotPoker

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl