Not impressed :( AVL58, RX-5802, and H3-2D

Reaction score
I recently upgraded my Phantom and all components. I'm hoping a someone here can steer me in the right direction. I'm simply not impressed with my new setup. My FPV experience AND quality has diminished considerably.

MY OLD SETUP:

Phantom 1
GoPro H3B
Immersion RC 600x downlink
Fat Shark Attitude Goggles
Rx and TX Fat shark Clover leafs
ARRIS CM2000 gimbal.
FPV came thought the side output on the gopro
*My FPV range was always over 1k and produced an SD, but brilliant sharp image.

MY NEW SETUP

Phantom 2
GoPro H3B+
DJI AVL58 Downlink
Boscam RX-5802 7" Diversity LCD Monitor
Blue Antenna clover leaf xmt on the AVL58
1 Blue cloverleaf and 1 Directional plane antenna on the monitor
Zenmuse H3-2D Gimbal
Iosd mini
*My FPV range is limited to no more than 100meters, and the video quality sucks. It looks washed out, and has interference that transfers to the final video, which leads me to believe its from the Zenmuse.

To top things off, My H3-2D doesn't sit level 8 out of 10 flights. I have done both basic and advanced calibrations on level surfaces. many compass recals, etc.

Is the poor video quality due to the video being fed out of the rear of the gopro though the gimbal (as opposed to out the side port like I did with the ARRIS?

Is there anyone else out there with my setup, that has had these range issues coupled with poor video quality on the downlink?

If there's static etc in the vid recorded on the gopro, then that's a separate issue from the limited range...although they may have a common cause (perhaps a short somewhere, that's just a guess).

I'm not sure where to tell you to go from there, but I can't think of any cause of poor FPV range that would on its own also have a negative impact on the video quality on the gopro itself. Or vice versa

Maybe try swapping the old vTx/Rx in to the new setup...?

OI Photography said:
If there's static etc in the vid recorded on the gopro, then that's a separate issue from the limited range...although they may have a common cause (perhaps a short somewhere, that's just a guess).

I'm not sure where to tell you to go from there, but I can't think of any cause of poor FPV range that would on its own also have a negative impact on the video quality on the gopro itself. Or vice versa

Maybe try swapping the old vTx/Rx in to the new setup...?

They are all sepertae issues and I do not beleiee they are tied together. Im just staing my complaints thus far.

Basically what I am wondering is, if the video is fed from the rear of the go-pro and through the Zenmuse, is said video lower quality than video fed out directly from the side output port on the gopro. The poor video quality is video that I am seeing on the LCD FPV monitor.

Understood. I don't think the vid coming out of the rear port is of lower res or quality, but I'm not positive. Are you saying the vid on the display is bad even when you're well within even the limited range (like, no more than 20 feet away)?

If there's issues on the vid recorded on the gopro, it could indicate an issue with the port on the gimbal (or on the gopro even), and that might cause problems with the vid even when you're at close range.

My gut still says a short somewhere may be at the root of this.

OI Photography said:
Understood. I don't think the vid coming out of the rear port is of lower res or quality, but I'm not positive. Are you saying the vid on the display is bad even when you're well within even the limited range (like, no more than 20 feet away)?

If there's issues on the vid recorded on the gopro, it could indicate an issue with the port on the gimbal (or on the gopro even), and that might cause problems with the vid even when you're at close range.

I actually have both issues you mentioned. When viewing footage on the sd card within the editor I sometimes get banding lines on the display. A quick look on another forum strongly suggests this is due to poor shielding on certain H3-2d gimabals. Many others have had the same issue.

My poor video quality from within FPV is a completely separate issue. By poor video quality, I mean, the image on my fpv monitor (when its actually within the crappy 100m or less range) is muddy, washed out, and unusable for low light shooting... even at 20m. This too has been documented in other forums it seems..now that I'm searching. It too, is contributed to the poor quality of video output from the rear connection on the zenmuse. The workaround seems to be using the side usb output on the gopro using a tarrot wire. The range issue is another beast altogether. It has nothing to do with the gimbal or the gopro, and does with the AVL58 and the 5802 monitor.

chad556 said:
OI Photography said:

I actually have both issues you mentioned. When viewing footage on the sd card within the editor I sometimes get banding lines on the display. A quick look on another forum strongly suggests this is due to poor shielding on certain H3-2d gimabals. Many others have had the same issue.

My poor video quality from within FPV is a completely separate issue. By poor video quality, I mean, the image on my fpv monitor (when its actually within the crappy 100m or less range) is muddy, washed out, and unusable for low light shooting... even at 20m. This too has been documented in other forums it seems..now that I'm searching. It too, is contributed to the poor quality of video output from the rear connection on the zenmuse. The workaround seems to be using the side usb output on the gopro using a tarrot wire. The range issue is another beast altogether. It has nothing to do with the gimbal or the gopro, and does with the AVL58 and the 5802 monitor.

Roger that, and it all makes sense to me. Can you exchange the gimbal in the meantime, while you work out the range issue on its own?

Regarding the video quality. I have never used fatshark goggles but my first attempt with fpv is with at the AVL58, rx5802 and H3-2d
I went with the monitor setup because I wanted to be able to frame the videos not necessarily fly FPV out of visual range.

Here is what I learned about Boscam and the GoPro. First the boscam is a crappy 800x480 which is a weird resolution (WVGA at 5:3 Aspect Ratio) and displays everything at 4:3 Aspect Ratio. The GoPro exports the video out at an Aspect Ratio of 4:3 regardless of what resolution you have set it on. So if you are recording at 1080 (16:9) you broadcast that on 4:3 AR onto the boscam Which is 4:3 AR and you get a squished Picture on a crappy WVGA screen with Letterbox Bars up top and bottom. UGH!

Record at 1440 (which is AR 4:3). It looks better. No bars. But the resolution still sucks. From what I understand it's not as immersive as a fat shark and I'm sure not as bright.

As for the range... well i'm still messing with it. I got a helical antenna from CP that did help with the range. I ordered a pinwheel Fpvlr.com . Looks like it extends down longer and he tells me it should help my setup vs the Spironet I had on the AVL58. It didn't come here but also I sent back my 5802 which had issues running diversity AB.

When I get everything back I'll post my findings. Judging by what I learned about the AVL58... I should have no problems hitting max range but will see. If not after this... I'll just chalk it up to crappy boscam equipment. I plan on building a FPV quad and that won't have Boscam equipment.

Have you tried different channels on TX & RX? I've found moving up to chan 6-8 improves video quality & range.

EMCSQUAR said:
Have you tried different channels on TX & RX? I've found moving up to chan 6-8 improves video quality & range.

The Immersion channels operate 5740, 5760, 5780, 5800, 5820, 5840, 5860MHz.
The AVL58 channels operate 5705, 5685, 5645, 5665, 5885, 5905, 5925, 5945MHz.

I heard that even though the Immersion is rated at 600mw that it doesn't transmit at that power and that the AVL58 is actually more power.

What channels work best is based on 1st the interference in your area... I think I have a lot of interference in the lower frequencies. Looks like the Immersion has a wider range in the 5800 range while the AVL58 is either 5600 or in the higher 58-5900 range

There are so many variables in the antenna placement and antenna type. I also think that my fatshark Tx Spironet might be bad. will see. seems like there is a lot of tweaking with fpv setups and I do think the Boscam 5802 is a crappy solution. People settle on it because it is convenient but I think it's the weakest link not to mention the AVL58 has a crappy selection of channels for here in the USA at least.

Sorry, thought you had conversion chart - The channels per immersion:

#1 - 5705
#2 - 5685
#3 - 5665
#4 - 5645
#5 - 5885
#6 - 5905
#7 - 5925
#8 - 5945

Agree 100% as per placement. I seem to have best range & image using chans 6 - 8 on both of my rigs even in metro areas. (I don't have FS goggles) My txs are Immersion 600mw's

EMCSQUAR said:
Sorry, thought you had conversion chart - The channels per immersion:

#1 - 5705
#2 - 5685
#3 - 5665
#4 - 5645
#5 - 5885
#6 - 5905
#7 - 5925
#8 - 5945

Agree 100% as per placement. I seem to have best range & image using chans 6 - 8 on both of my rigs even in metro areas. (I don't have FS goggles) My txs are Immersion 600mw's

The interesting part is that channel 4 is the most powerful channel on the avl58

I've been using C4 on my AVL58/5802 Setup. I'll try shooting in 1440 using channels c6 through c8 and report back. Thanks for the feedback everyone!

No better on C8. Im starting to wonder if the RX-5802 is a dud in terms of receiver sensitivity and selectivity added with the poor monitor resolution. The hobby store down the road from me has a really nice 7" non diversity monitor from Lilliput that has a 16:9 1080 resolution. They want $350 bucks for it though...ouch! It also doesnt come with a battery. The internal battery was a huge selling point for me with the Boscam 5802.

chad556 said:
No better on C8. Im starting to wonder if the RX-5802 is a dud in terms of receiver sensitivity and selectivity added with the poor monitor resolution. The hobby store down the road from me has a really nice 7" non diversity monitor from Lilliput that has a 16:9 1080 resolution. They want $350 bucks for it though...ouch! It also doesnt come with a battery. The internal battery was a huge selling point for me with the Boscam 5802.

I know the feeling. My Boscam 5802 gets back tomorrow. but the stupid resolution drives me nuts. It will be better on the Lilliput but still remember that stupid gopro will Tx at 4:3. That drives me nuts too. I wonder. Plug your fatshark goggles into the output of the Boscam. see how it looks in there.

GhostMaster said:
With the TS353 400mw you can expect better results.

Someone tested it at 5km...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Te9VbVg9EUM

Cheaper place to order the Boscam TS353 400mw:
http://j.mp/1gJ6t7s

A couple things about that video. First and foremost, he's not using a boscam 5802 diversity receiver which I feel is a culprit to poor range. Secondly, they never showed fpv footage in the video, only gopro to SD card footage.

chad556 said:
GhostMaster said:
With the TS353 400mw you can expect better results.

Someone tested it at 5km...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Te9VbVg9EUM

Cheaper place to order the Boscam TS353 400mw:
http://j.mp/1gJ6t7s

A couple things about that video. First and foremost, he's not using a boscam 5802 diversity receiver which I feel is a culprit to poor range. Secondly, they never showed fpv footage in the video, only gopro to SD card footage.

Yes its not using the Boscam LCD 5802, and what? I tested the boscam 5802 i get arround 2km with the 400mw video tx.

You dont need to see the FPV footage, how do you thing he can go that longer distance without any FPV reception?

I have no doubt he was able to see clearly with fpv. The only other way he could have done it without fpv is with a ground station auto pilot. I guess I was hoping for more of a likewise comparison with what we are using. I'm trying to figure which of my components is the weakest link. The avl58, or the 5802 monitor. I'm not at all surprised that the video poster was able to get 5k using a dedicated tx and dedicated receiver (separate from the monitor) attached to a large panel antenna. Unfortunately that setup is not practical for me. I'm looking for a package that will get me at least 1k range using clover leaf antennas on a reciever/monitor combo.

chad556 said:
I have no doubt he was able to see clearly with fpv. The only other way he could have done it without fpv is with a ground station auto pilot. I guess I was hoping for more of a likewise comparison with what we are using. I'm trying to figure which of my components is the weakest link. The avl58, or the 5802 monitor. I'm not at all surprised that the video poster was able to get 5k using a dedicated tx and dedicated receiver (separate from the monitor) attached to a large panel antenna. Unfortunately that setup is not practical for me. I'm looking for a package that will get me at least 1k range using clover leaf antennas on a reciever/monitor combo.

I can assure you that the boscam 5802 os capable of 2km range, i tested myself, more im not really sure, but half of a better FPV system is the antennas, so with a good antenna setup you can really improve the range.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers