Not another "first flight and thoughts" post...

Reaction score
Hey Guys, Yep, it is. I know the veterans probably get tired of these, but I was so amazed at the first flight results being exactly as expected, that I just had to share the excitement. First of all, I'm reasonably new to the board, and have been reading like crazy as I awaited the delivery of my Phantom 1.1.1 yesterday. I started the ordering process on Sunday, December 21 and it took FOUR different companies and seventeen days of heartache and panic to get my drone. After assembly and connecting everything last night, I ran the Naza M V2 Assistant program and enabled IOC, tested the motors, and set the S1 bottom position to FS/RTH. Today I ran the GPS Predictor Tool for my lat/lon coordinates and found the optimum time with the most satellites available. This is a valuable tool, because it lets you know when there will be a marginal number and when it is less than six. Anyway, I took off to the field (a little early I must admit) and powered up. I did the good ole compass dance and power cycled. This time I watched the status LED closely and the red flashes diminished to zero and then the twenty or so greens for home point lock, so I hit the throttle. It was 42 degrees and a WNW wind at about 12-15mph, which I know is a little dicey, but the bird performed like a champ. I was in such anticipation to just fly the thing, that I would have probably taken off in a hurricane. At any rate, I initialized the motors and lifted off perfectly. I left it hovering for about two minutes to let everything stabilize and calm my heart rate a bit. After that it was up and away, with some basic navigation. I was really impressed with the forward speed as well as the ascend speed. The first time I descended from about 50 feet, I did so really cautiously, watching for any symptoms of VRS. None occurred, so I brought it down a little faster. After about seven minutes of flight time, I decided to try the Fail Safe switch position. It performed exactly as described in the manual and online in videos. I was definitely impressed and can't wait to fly it again when the weather is better. It's supposed to be 13 degrees tonight and not above freezing tomorrow, so it might be awhile. In the meantime, I'd like to thank everyone here for their advice and expertise in answering mine and others' questions. I've noticed you are patient and understanding with the newbs and that goes a long way in installing and building confidence. So I'm outta here now, to order some backup batteries (multistar 4000) so I can keep flying. Be safe...

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on a successful first flight. Continue to have fun and fly responsibly.

Thanks pump, I can't wait for the weather to pass so I can hit it again...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20