Not afraid to show some prop

Reaction score
I know this is a taboo subject around here, but of late I've been working on my summer project, and I came across a real dilemma while editing. Should I show some prop in the shot or only use shots with no props? Now I'm not suggesting that you run around showing your props to every Tom, **** or Harry, but I think you have to consider your audience. I find a little prop in certain situations is acceptable, but would be opposed to a "Full Monty" of prop showing.

If you're approaching the situation from the stand point of a hobbyist making community based stuff, why not show off some prop? I mean people throw beads at you during Mardi Gras for that kinda thing.

I really want to empower people here, but if you really feel the need to express an opposing view, well first off you're an ***, but then go ahead...

a little cleavage is okay, to much cleavage and people will judge... I mean prop.

thongbong said:
a little cleavage is okay, to much cleavage and people will judge... I mean prop.

That's true it's difficult to find the right balance of breast--I mean prop exposure. I've always found dressing is important because guarding the breast--I mean props can be tricky from a visual perspective. I prefer something along the lines of chain-link fence, something to protect the property, but not obstruct the view.

Again opinions may vary from person to person, likely because they're boobs.

I think it depends where and how much props you are going to put it in your footage. if you have a moving subject taking audiance attention then showing some props are forgivable. however if you are shooting a still object with an ambiance like sunset/sunrise then people would not want to see props as it kills the ambiance.

generally i dont like seeing props i cut them as much as i can but there are some cases you cant do anything if you dont want to lose your main object. so my 2 cents is it depends on your composition

mr.goodkat said:
I think it depends where and how much props you are going to put it in your footage. if you have a moving subject taking audiance attention then showing some props are forgivable. however if you are shooting a still object with an ambiance like sunset/sunrise then people would not want to see props as it kills the ambiance.

generally i dont like seeing props i cut them as much as i can but there are some cases you cant do anything if you dont want to lose your main object. so my 2 cents is it depends on your composition

Seems sensible enough, but you failed to provide any dirty puns, I'll have to dock you 2 demerits. Thinking about it, most of the time where the props are visible in my shots is when I'm following something...kinda the physics of the thing as you point out. An insightful post...well done sir!

MrKlay said:
I would say to not show props at all. I feel like it's very distracting and ruins the magic of the flight itself.

You wouldn't happen to be the MrKlay from youtube would ya? You know, motion graphics, after effects?

It really doesn't matter, you're a purist plain and simple...not that there's anything wrong with it! I don't think a little prop ruins a shot unless it's something like a sunrise or other stationary type shots, as another poster has already stated.

I think you should try to avoid showing the props.

What camera are you filming with? And in what mode ?

I use a gopro and usually shoot in medium. I have no problem with the props are in the way. But I fly quite gently.

Here you can see how it looks
http://vimeo.com/vaveron/summerday

vaveron said:
I think you should try to avoid showing the props.

What camera are you filming with? And in what mode ?

I use a gopro and usually shoot in medium. I have no problem with the props are in the way. But I fly quite gently.

Here you can see how it looks
http://vimeo.com/vaveron/summerday

Really amazing footage, truly brilliant, but I'm filming a skate park so it's an entirely different tempo. I have a Hero3+ Silver, I would have gotten the black but I wanted to wait for the 4.

For the subject matter that you film I would agree that showing props would ruin the shot. Good god those are beautiful.

Yeah if you're going to film skateboarding is a bit different.
One tip is that try to get up to speed on phantom before trick you're shooting.
That's when you start and stop the propellers can be seen the most. This is why you should never use the GPS mode.

vaveron said:
Yeah if you're going to film skateboarding is a bit different.
One tip is that try to get up to speed on phantom before trick you're shooting.
That's when you start and stop the propellers can be seen the most. This is why you should never use the GPS mode.

I've been experimenting with ATI and some wind drift which seems to work well. I understand what you mean by the jerky motion you get with GPS mode. Sadly getting teenagers to coordinate their movements with the quad is a challenge.

Thank you again for sharing your video, it was incredible.

CarlJ said:
MrKlay said:
I would say to not show props at all. I feel like it's very distracting and ruins the magic of the flight itself.

You wouldn't happen to be the MrKlay from youtube would ya? You know, motion graphics, after effects?

It really doesn't matter, you're a purist plain and simple...not that there's anything wrong with it! I don't think a little prop ruins a shot unless it's something like a sunrise or other stationary type shots, as another poster has already stated.

Depends who is asking...

Jk, yeah that's me.

CarlJ said:
Now I'm not suggesting that you run around showing your props to every Tom, **** or Harry

Made me laugh, not sure why :D

I'm a cave man. . . I like boobs and I like props. without either one we wouldn't be here. :D

I liked the Summer day video. Especially the long shots, very nice.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik