Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Not able to take picture while shooting video!!!

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by Bahamasboy, Jun 6, 2015.

1. Bahamasboy

While shooting video today, I attempted to take a picture using the button on the remote. I had no shutter action on my screen and tried several times. After the flight I had NO pictures. I tied again while sitting at my desk- all systems on, video recording... no luck! Anyone else having this issues. I'm flying all updated firmware, IOS 8.3 on an iphone 6+. Any suggestions??

EDIT: Upon further investigation... I'm reading that it's not possible. I could have swore I saw this function on a tutorial somewhere. Am I losing my phricking mind?

#1 Bahamasboy, Jun 6, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
  2. delirious

Nope, no possible

AmosMoses likes this.
  3. Bahamasboy

Thanks Delious, At least I know there's nothing wrong with my set up. My mind however.... that's a different story.

4. AmosMoses

BINGO!
    Not sure where the OP got that info from?

5. Deadlift

You'd think this would be possible though... Too bad.

6. Mal_PV2_Ireland

We are known to have brain farts in here, even the best of us, but it would be a nice feature :)

7. Gangapat

You're not crazy. I had that impression as well, maybe it's the review by DroneDude on YouTube? I'm also sure I've seen this.

8. ctp

ctp

It's a lot better than the P2V+,which would let you take a picture, but pause the video and cause a awkward gap while the picture wrote to the card!

9. Bahamasboy

Solution then is to set up the pic you want, stop video, snap pic, start video and join video clips in post production. I'll try this today and see how it goes.. Should be pretty seamless since the bird is so stable.

AmosMoses and ctp like this.
  10. ctp

ctp

That's what I do - record up to my first transition, record a few seconds buffer sitting still, stop recording, take pictures, get lined up for my next transition, take a picture, start recording, repeat.

This process really helps in post because you have already separated out discreet film clips. The buffers of several seconds of still video at the beginning and end help provide more options, or a quick place to drop a title or comment, and I've got lots of nice photos in between.

Falcon900 and Bahamasboy like this.
  11. Bahamasboy

GREAT points!!!! Thanks!

ctp likes this.
  12. RoyVa

Another option that I use, record the video then when I used Windows movie maker I go to the scene I want and take a snapshot from it. It creates a .png file. I then bring that into Windows Paint and then save as a xxx.jpg file. Done deal! I know it's two steps but can get that picture from the video.

13. antdon

Is this a limitation on the camera/sd card or software side of things? Just curious to know as it takes more work doing it either in post and/or to stop recording, take a picture etc... especially when having to look down at the screen.

Does DJI plan on implementing this at all? I thought I saw a video that mentioned this also... had me clicking on my shutter button while recording today in flight only to find no pictures on the SD card. I felt like an a** lol.

embayweather likes this.
  14. sergekouper

Pictures are 4/3 and use all the available size of the sensor. video is 16/9. can't do both at the same time. Don't know what are the other reasons if any , but this is one.

15. mogman8

The GoPro can take stills and video at the same time.....I would think DJI should be able to do that too.....does anyone know if the Mavic will do it?

16. BigAl07

BigAl07 Moderator
    Staff Member

It would be AWESOME if we could do both but due to sensor limitations I don't see how.

I'd love to know how GoPro gets around this unless they have dual sensors in the set-up.

17. mogman8

My old Hero 3 will do it....I'm no engineer but it seems like a software thing to me. I strongly doubt my Hero 3 has dual sensors.

18. Numone

Works well, I agree...

19. peter west nz

I shoot in 2k7/4:3 & find that captures from that adequate for most purposes. It is annoying, but it's what we have

20. eneilsen

the settings for video and stills are completely different.

i don't think i would use the feature if it was available.

i'm either in the mindset to shoot video or stills, never both. but i suppose not everyone thinks that way.

for example, shutter speed is completely different. on stills you want a fast shutter to get the sharpest image. exposure bracketing can get you a much larger dynamic range in post. video needs a bit of image blurring for smooth motion. different beasts.

Falcon900 likes this.