Not a role model for pilots or product!

Reaction score
We are in the Midwest visiting relatives (still). We went to a local park (near Fort Riley/Manhattan/Tuttle Creek), lots of trees, LOTS OF PEOPLE, a lake and sure enough, an Inspire pilot. The forecast was for rain, and tornadoes have been pretty frequent, so winds were erratic, so I didn't even take my P3A out of their house. Anyway, in the middle of a heavily wooded area with an open canopy above, the Inspire pilot lifted off. I watched as he went straight up, and over the trees, and down to the waters edge. Mind you, there are people swimming, boating, fishing, cooking out; everywhere.

I was taking pictures of the flowers, deer, ducks, turtles and killing time. He passes along, and I simply ask, "How do you like your Inspire, flies nice it seems." There was no animosity, no questions about FAA registration. No hint of flying over people. Nothing noted about safety, just a simple compliment on his aircraft.

Next thing I know, he says, "You a F-ing tree F-ing hugger? Got a F-ing problem with me flying my F-ing bird, call your F-ING congressman." I looked at him, bit my tongue, and he kept ranting about people like me being the problem with people having fun. If this is really how people are supposed to promote something like being responsible and promoting the hobby, then I am ashamed to say I own one.

And honestly, I wanted to ask to borrow a fishing line to cast it over the props and wreck it. I am not vindictive, but he was an embarrassment to everyone that is a responsible pilot. If I seem irritated, I was. I guess I could have asked him about his FAA registration, safety over people, and say he was a pervert taking pictures of little kids or something, but I walked away. I did attach a photo of his craft, and this was about the altitude he flew above everything. Sadly, it began to rain and he got it out of the air right after the rain was hitting the water under his bird.

If this is how a lot of people are representing legitimate hobbyists, then I can see why people are getting irritated with drones. On one occasion he was flying right over people playing badminton, and they were waving him away as if to say please move along. Made me glad I didn't take mine with me. I can only wonder what he would have said if someone would have thrown something up and hit it knocking it to the ground. (Can't say I would have blamed them either).

Attachments

• Inspire.jpg
    Inspire.jpg
    5.7 MB · Views: 624
We are in the Midwest visiting relatives (still). We went to a local park (near Fort Riley/Manhattan/Tuttle Creek), lots of trees, LOTS OF PEOPLE, a lake and sure enough, an Inspire pilot. The forecast was for rain, and tornadoes have been pretty frequent, so winds were erratic, so I didn't even take my P3A out of their house. Anyway, in the middle of a heavily wooded area with an open canopy above, the Inspire pilot lifted off. I watched as he went straight up, and over the trees, and down to the waters edge. Mind you, there are people swimming, boating, fishing, cooking out; everywhere.

I was taking pictures of the flowers, deer, ducks, turtles and killing time. He passes along, and I simply ask, "How do you like your Inspire, flies nice it seems." There was no animosity, no questions about FAA registration. No hint of flying over people. Nothing noted about safety, just a simple compliment on his aircraft.

Next thing I know, he says, "You a F-ing tree F-ing hugger? Got a F-ing problem with me flying my F-ing bird, call your F-ING congressman." I looked at him, bit my tongue, and he kept ranting about people like me being the problem with people having fun. If this is really how people are supposed to promote something like being responsible and promoting the hobby, then I am ashamed to say I own one.

And honestly, I wanted to ask to borrow a fishing line to cast it over the props and wreck it. I am not vindictive, but he was an embarrassment to everyone that is a responsible pilot. If I seem irritated, I was. I guess I could have asked him about his FAA registration, safety over people, and say he was a pervert taking pictures of little kids or something, but I walked away. I did attach a photo of his craft, and this was about the altitude he flew above everything. Sadly, it began to rain and he got it out of the air right after the rain was hitting the water under his bird.

If this is how a lot of people are representing legitimate hobbyists, then I can see why people are getting irritated with drones. On one occasion he was flying right over people playing badminton, and they were waving him away as if to say please move along. Made me glad I didn't take mine with me. I can only wonder what he would have said if someone would have thrown something up and hit it knocking it to the ground. (Can't say I would have blamed them either).

There are plenty of those kind here that have a disregard for rules, regulations and the law.

Reactions: N017RW and EddieM
It certainly isn't the normal behavior demonstrated by those that fly. I'm alway happy to speak to others and share experiences whether I'm flying my Phantom or Inspire.

Reactions: captainmilehigh

Yikes, that was quite a reaction on his part. So sad.
I hope that I would have reacted as well as you did. Nice job.

It certainly isn't the normal behavior demonstrated by those that fly. I'm alway happy to speak to others and share experiences whether I'm flying my Phantom or Inspire.
Yeah, me too. The only thing I ask onlookers with question after question is to let me land the thing, then they can ask all the questions they want.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Lonewolf
All... I was embarrassed, although he wasn't. I understand his investment, and not wanting anyone to get near it, but that was not the issue. Totally rude, and uncalled for. As for not reacting different, it isn't how I was raised. I am sure if my father was back from deployment, he would have had a little different mindset for that man.

I'm surprised you just bit your tounge.

A simple turning the tables on him would have given you satisfaction and him a reality check.

I love mind games and screwing with people. I would have had a blast with that clown. He may have even held my inside out pocket as we walk back to the parking lot to further discuss his attitude

I think you did the right thing. It is better not to downgrade yourself to be level at a F-ing moron.

Your a better man than I that's for sure! I'm a biker/trucker and do NOT have the will to walk away from a tard like that. I treat everyone the way I want to be treated so people like that to are UNTOLERABLE

You're a true southern gentleman, Morgas. I would have had a very hard time leaving that alone.

On the bright side, the dude's obviously not real bright, and his spendy Inspire will most likely be in the lake or a tree before too long. (At which point he'll probably turn up here, bitching about DJI)

You're a true southern gentleman, Morgas. I would have had a very hard time leaving that alone.

On the bright side, the dude's obviously not real bright, and his spendy Inspire will most likely be in the lake or a tree before too long. (At which point he'll probably turn up here, bitching about DJI)
I don't think I could've resisted making a pair of shoes out of both him and his Inspire.

I had a similar, but different, situation this past winter... My family and friends traveled to New Hampshire for a Pond Hockey tournament, and while we were there, there was a guy flying a P3P over the pond (not near anyone though...). Being that I still had a Phantom 2 and my son loves drones too, we decided to walk over to see it and maybe just talk to the guy. He had just landed it so I just asked him how he liked it, and if I could just take a quick peek at it, hands-free of course, since I've never seen one. He proceeds to just grab it, pack it up, and for some reason he blurts out "Oh, and I do have permission from the pond owner to fly here." Ok... first of all, I just wanted to take a look at it for about 30 seconds... and second, I never even came close to saying ANYTHING about where he was flying because this pond was HUGE, and he was nowhere near anyone. And I never knew someone can own a pond... I mean really, who owns a pond???

So I just let the guy go, and told my son he was in a hurry to leave, and left it at that... I LOVE showing my P3P off, especially when it's to change people's opinions on drones to begin with, like I did over the holiday weekend...

I had an older couple check mine out while at a coastal spot this past weekend.. They got into their car and I think waited for me to land (I assume they heard me say to my gf "okay I'm going to bring it back in"). Once I landed I seen they were still parked there so I held it up and asked them if they'd like to check it out!

They instantly got out of their vehicle and came to the back of my SUV to check it out. Asked a few questions and took a peek. They seemed very interested and quite nice. A sort few exchange of words later they left and all was great!

Also same time before the older couple - a younger couple arrived and parked next to me. The male had a expensive DSLR and was taking some great shots. The moment he came past my vehicle I was ready to fly the bird but instead I waited. He took a couple photos over the cliff and I told my gf "I'm going to wait for him to get his shots. I don't want to disturb or distract him". I said it loud enough for him and his girl to hear me. Roughly 3 minutes later he started to walk up past me and smiled and carried on down the pathway. And then I was up uP and awAYYYY!!!

I think some of us have ran into a nasty conversation by the negatives against the drones and thus puts some of us on edge. So we can't be too quick to judge. But if their attitude and tone of voice is instantly aggressive... not much you can do from that point. Their mind is set.

For me, over the holiday weekend, I brought it over to my sister-in-law's house so her boyfriend's family could see it... last month they were over and every word out of their moths were bad about drones. I bit my lip, tightly, and told the boyfriend that the next time I come over I'll bring mine... and the shock on his face when he found out I had one was PRICELESS!!!

So on Sunday I brought it over... had them look at it, hold it, whatever they wanted to do to check it out... carefully though. I could tell their minds were changing. So I got it all together , took it maybe 15 feet off the ground, showed them the screen, and they were hooked.... I took it to about 300 feet, had them see the scenery, and they loved it. And of course, one of their biggest fears was that the camera would zoom in to see people and such... so after I showed them the view from 300 feet, and also telling them that the cameras don't zoom, they felt much better. Ended up going through 2 batteries that day... lol...

It's amazing how the media steers these sheep. Pathetic we live in a country full of idiots and morons..

One thing I always hear first is "wow that thing is loud.. kinda like a swarm of bees or bugs". My instant reply is "yes. If you can't hear THAT outside your window.." Then I go on to show them the screen and say "it looks a lot like google earth, huh?" (meaning you can't see much other than general details)

If people would just learn vs being told by the media or social media maybe our world wouldn't be full of so many ignorant folk lol

Reactions: kenjancef
If people would just learn vs being told by the media or social media maybe our world wouldn't be full of so many ignorant folk lol

Exactly... and that's the main reason I brought it out on Sunday. The only way to change their minds was to see it in person. They did say it was a little loud, but after about 100 feet they were amazed at how quiet it was. Unfortunately it takes having people actually SEE one in person to change their minds... but if that's what I have to do, then so be it... and it also gives me more reasons to fly... lol...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers