Not a good start

Reaction score
Hello every one im Danny from Hull in the UK.
i took delivery delivery of my Brand new phantom 3 standard today. i set up dji go in beginner mode ( flying in a 30m radius and set the return home function with auto take all went fine for 5 mins untill i brought the drone back to about 10 feet away, then pressed the return home icon, upon doing so dji go informed me that the gps signal had been lost and the p3 shot up to aprox 30 meters and then shot off horizontaly for about 150 meters until it hit a tree.
the impact broke off the camera and cracked one of the arms. could anyone suggest what what could have caused this, and what would be the best course of action to get the p3 fixed. thanks.Danny

Sounds like a typical RTH. You were within the 30M radius and the quad was doing what it should have done... ascend to the RTH altitude first. I think you NEVER want to initiate RTH when the bird is that close or it will ascend to the RTH altitude.

Sounds like a typical RTH. You were within the 30M radius and the quad was doing what it should have done... ascend to the RTH altitude first. I think you NEVER want to initiate RTH when the bird is that close or it will ascend to the RTH altitude.
Doesn't sound like typical RTH to me. If within 20m it should have landed on the spot. Outside 20m it should attemp to climb to preset RTH altitude and then return. You can stop the ascent by moving the throttle once you are above 20m altitude.

It seems the home point may have been incorrectly recorded or not set at launch. If GPS lock was lost it may have been carried into the tree by the wind.

you never hit rth 10 feet from you that is why it crashed not good

@With The Birds.... that is what I thought, but there seems to be some confusion on this board about that. I have never tried it myself so I can't say for sure. All I have "gathered" is ya don't do it when you are close.
It very well could have been an error when the home point was set though.
Really need to see the flight log... that will tell all.

hi again.
the return home point was set to the take of point. the quad was no way blown off course and even though i pressed return home at about 10 feet away i dont see why it should rise up into the air and shoot off at full throttle to over 150 meters away.

hi again.
the return home point was set to the take of point. the quad was no way blown off course and even though i pressed return home at about 10 feet away i dont see why it should rise up into the air and shoot off at full throttle to over 150 meters away.
It might be the AC was attempting return to where it thought the home point was following your RTH command. For this to be true the AC was actually at, or determined by GPS to be, at a location more than 20m from the recorded home point.

It might be that GPS was lost after the ascent and the AC just drifted into the tree. Hands of sticks in atti mode this will happen (same behaviour as no GPS lock).

Pure speculation. Upload your flight logs and see what clues may be there.

First lesson here - do not use RTH. It's not for casual use, IMHO.

In about 3 years of flying my Phantoms mine has been used maybe twice - once when the machine actually did blow away.

Do not test out all the features until you have many hours of experience with the machine and software - and even then, there is often no need to try things just for their own sake.

As an example, my Passat has a push button emergency brake. I've never tried it when the car was moving. I never will. If there is an emergency and my brakes stop working - well, then, I might try it.

Always check in your app and on the map to make sure the recorded home point is exactly where you want it to be.

Oh, and as you found out, do not press enter into RTH unless"
1. you know exactly what your rth settings are
2. The machine is a distance from you
3. You are 100% sure of the Home Point
4. The Home point is not under tree cover or nearby.

You can buy a replacement shell and fix it yourself if you feel comfortable with that. There are plenty of youtube videos showing you how. When you reattach your camera, I would suggest using metal retainer pins from UAV Bits. They will hold the camera onto its support and prevent it from flying off in a crash. Check the ribbon cable on your camera for any damage.

Retention Pins for Camera

Reactions: dgriffnz

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.